What's new

Kombat Tomb Podcast - Ep. 31 with Emperor Theo

LanceMonsoon

All in on Johnny Football
Haven't watched yet but being from the east coast am I fraud for wanting Theo to perform really well at NEC? I feel like one. :(

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
GGA Slips There simply is no mixup after MB Staff spin at midscreen. WoundCowboy has been asking me to show him what you're talking about and I can't, because it doesn't exist. It's not real. Here's what happens after a MB staff spin - I have to make the read as to whether or not you will backdash the follow up, in which case - I am doing jump forward 1 to catch you, or I'm doing stand 1 MB ground blast to buy myself a dash in. Block low against staff until you either see 1. Nightwing leave the ground 2. The swooping 22frame overhead which - contrary to your comments - looks nothing like ground blast.
What about just simply doing mb ground spark after the mb staff spin? It literally covers every option your opponent has.

1. They can't backdash
2. They can't interrupt
3. They can't mb b+3 (Maybe Frost's can cause its fast, maybe DS can cause he jumps)
4. They can't jump

For awhile I thought they could jump the mb ground spark, but I looked into it and if done right they can't even jump. (Tested against Aquaman and Superman) They'll get hit on the way up but they do avoid the mb portion of the move. In which case standing 2 would hit.

I will also strongly disagree that people can tell the difference between standing 2 and mb ground spark. There is 1 frame difference and both moves he lifts his staff up.

Those are my main 2 things I will disagree with the nw players on.

Kevlang

Noob
@K7Leetha I would have to say that your avatar looks black still... like Michael Jackson Black... His skin is pale, but he still's got the Afro-features...

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
I find it funny that GGA Slips shares the EXACT same thoughts as myself when it comes to DS. Literally everything he has ever said i agree with.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Nightwing players are passionate.

It's because we put up with the first month of NIGHTWING IS BROKEN AND OP.

Then he got nerfed (which we accepted because lbsh +5 d1 is pretty dumb)

Then, everyone still said the character was bullshit even tho every mechanic in the game is designed to negate his best tools.

Then, of course, when NRS did a big patch, they didn't fix his bugs or give him a buff to help his holes, they listened to the majority of the community say he was fine. How many Nightwings have made top 8's at a major?

We still didn't complain. We work hard, because the character has tools, but when people say that you should never leave staff...they don't understand the character. Never leave staff on Arkham, rooftop, or against superman/GL/ etc.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
I see that you have also been brainwashed into believing that Deathstroke has one of the best footsies in the game.

i wont give up on that man, btw can we play a set tonight? i need to get hit in the head by a few more projectiles to get this match down lol

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
Depending on the timing, they can jump back if it's not done perfectly.

Either way, the start up frames on the moves are important, but it's the animation difference that makes it easy to spot. NW's overhead looks way different from staff pound. Plus, you would have to bet meter on them not blocking low to get mb staff pound, when stand 1 after mb staff spin is guaranteed anyway.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
What about just simply doing mb ground spark after the mb staff spin? It literally covers every option your opponent has.

1. They can't backdash
2. They can't interrupt
3. They can't mb b+3 (Maybe Frost's can cause its fast, maybe DS can cause he jumps)
4. They can't jump

For awhile I thought they could jump the mb ground spark, but I looked into it and if done right they can't even jump. (Tested against Aquaman and Superman) They'll get hit on the way up but they do avoid the mb portion of the move. In which case standing 2 would hit.

I will also strongly disagree that people can tell the difference between standing 2 and mb ground spark. There is 1 frame difference and both moves he lifts his staff up.

It doesn't matter that there is a 1 frame difference in startup. You can clearly see the difference between ground pound and 2 because of their animation. 2 takes forever and a day to come out and is a unique animation. It is reactable. Ground pound is as well. If we were talking about 14-15 frame moves it would be a different story but these are slow.

If you played more Nightwings you could stop it on reaction every time.

Like, I have a setup (hot sauce) that utilizes what you're talking about (the mb pound negating all options) but it costs 1 bar.

Saying that spending 2 bars for a potential 5% (or less if they block it) seems a bit impractical. 1 bar? Yea, it's a good check.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Depending on the timing, they can jump back if it's not done perfectly.

Either way, the start up frames on the moves are important, but it's the animation difference that makes it easy to spot. NW's overhead looks way different from staff pound. Plus, you would have to bet meter on them not blocking low to get mb staff pound, when stand 1 after mb staff spin is guaranteed anyway.

I swear to god we think the same sometimes.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
It doesn't matter that there is a 1 frame difference in startup. You can clearly see the difference between ground pound and 2 because of their animation. 2 takes forever and a day to come out and is a unique animation. It is reactable. Ground pound is as well. If we were talking about 14-15 frame moves it would be a different story but these are slow.

If you played more Nightwings you could stop it on reaction every time.

Like, I have a setup (hot sauce) that utilizes what you're talking about (the mb pound negating all options) but it costs 1 bar.

Saying that spending 2 bars for a potential 5% (or less if they block it) seems a bit impractical. 1 bar? Yea, it's a good check.
I don't see why if the move was 14 or 15 frames it would make a difference.

If there was a move in a fighting game where you were +125, and the character had a overhead that was 124 frames and a low that was 125 frames and the animation looked the same all the way up unto the 120th frame...that would be a pure 50/50 in my eyes.

But if you guys think the animation is too different that people can tell the difference then to each his own. I challenge you guys to record NW walking up in staff stance, randomly do standing 2's and mb ground sparks. Leave the ps3 or Xbox on while you go get something to eat. Come back. And then knowing your at a random part of the recording and/or forget the pattern your recorded try to block these 2 moves perfectly nearly everytime. If you can do it, then I guess you guys simply have better reactions than I do.

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.

1. They can't backdash
2. They can't interrupt
4. They can't jump

I am in training mode right now. At midscreen raw staff spin into mb ground pound can be jumped out of. That is why Nightwing players always do standing 1 MB ground pound. This is why I say there is no mixup. Because if they backdash the standing 1 - the MB ground pound won't come out. They can backdash standing 2 just the same. At midscreen - the options out are too real. At this point - Nightwing is only limiting his opponents options where the reads to make are a little easier.

Also, I maintain that the animation of pounding a staff into the ground and a spinning overhead swoop look completely different. The times I do use standing 2 - I use it as a pseudo frame trap after a standing 1 ground pound in the corner. This makes it a 13 frame overhead that stuffs jump backs/nuetral jumps and bodies people blocking low or people respecting MB ground pound too much.

The average human reaction speed is 1/3rd of a second. Roughly 19 frames. The 22 frame overhead isn't a mixup option - but it will catch people getting complacent.

Syknis

King of the Kiddie Pool
Idk about NWs tier placement or tournament viability but what I do know is that he isn't a hard counter pick to Aquaman. Imo aqua has the advantage.