What's new

Kombat League Season 5 Rewards

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Its ranked online play

So you are saying you hope ranked goes away in a fighting game?

Do you even like fighting games?
I know..

Lol I know its ranked in this mk but I'm talking about KLs gimmicky grindy vs not so much the ranked mode itself...you know making players play for gear, skins etc thru that mode exclusively.

Yes, I do but I hate gimmicky vs that forces me to play a mode I normally dont just for "exclusive rewards" it's pretty simple logic once you see where im coming from.

MKF30

I hope not. I like Kombat League. I played a few sets when it was off season, and much prefer playing with a goal of hitting demi god and getting some skins. I agree it's not perfect, and could use some improvements though.

I also wish it wasn't so hard to find a Kompetitive Kasual match for practice though. It either takes forever to find someone or get denied even with good ping, because I'm guessing people are worried about their records. I don't like customs.
Yeah I just hate how they put some cooler stuff in KL exclusively, that and dealing with the toxic people is rather tiresome know what I mean?
OMG! That Cetrion Skin is all I wanted, and I have to reach Demi God for that!? RIP)
Good luck man, I'd say maybe they let you grind for it another way in say tot but nah..gotta love this game eh?
Wtf.

If you don’t like it just don’t play it, but there is absolutely no reason to end one of the game’s most popular modes.
Just read what I told evil Canadian, that's why I hate the mode. All I'm saying is there should be an alternate method to us unlocking the skins, gear etc they way it's done now its forcing us to play this mode while dealing with the bs that comes with it. There are other modes popular as well in the game too.

Last edited:

MKF30

Wtf.

If you don’t like it just don’t play it, but there is absolutely no reason to end one of the game’s most popular modes.
Just read what I told evil Canadian, that's why I hate the mode. All I'm saying is there should be an alternate method to us unlocking the skins, gear etc they way it's done now its forcing us to play this mode while dealing with the bs that comes with it. There are other modes popular as well in the game too.

Palermo9

Ripping spines out since 1992
So far, I have always reached the desired items in KL, but this season, I will only play for new brutalities. That said, for completionist sake (or in case I start a different character), I'd like to have all KL items. One alternative way to get these items that can work is that from Crash Team Racing (the cart racing game), which I also play somewhat seriously. At the end of the season, you can pay in-game currency (e.g., crystals) to top up the remaining awards in KL. So topping up from God to Elder God is cheap but from Apprentice to Elder Good is quite expensive. In-game currency, of course, can also be purchased with real currency. This way, good players get stuff for free, worse or busier players have to part with their resources, and NRS is richer -- everybody wins! Players really like this CTR season system, too. Just my two cents.

Responding to fan demand, NRS give us more revenant-style skins, and some spectacularly mundane gear.

All that’s missing are some Devorah & Kollector brutalities and some more ever-so-slightly-different Terminator grenades (they make ALL the difference).

That Kano skin is even based on his least popular variant lol, whine, moan

I’m still playing of course, I bloody love KL

It's not that kl is bad it's just it's poorly handled. To say it's really popular is a stretch. It's forced popularity with inflated numbers. We can't play regular ranked because it's been temporarily replaced. You want some nice new gears and skins? Gotta play kombat league. Some of y'all just be saying stuff.

It's not that kl is bad it's just it's poorly handled. To say it's really popular is a stretch. It's forced popularity with inflated numbers. We can't play regular ranked because it's been temporarily replaced. You want some nice new gears and skins? Gotta play kombat league. Some of y'all just be saying stuff.
Interesting point - I wonder what the stats on KL vs Regular ranked are, and then how much Kasual increases during KL.

I must admit I was intimidated by pretty much all online play when I first got the game, but it was the seemingly tighter ranking and less weirdos in KL that eventually got me enjoying it.

Btw, off topic, how can they keep the ‘public rooms’ feature open, with such poor numbers? It looks absurd / NRS must be embarrassed?

MKF30

So far, I have always reached the desired items in KL, but this season, I will only play for new brutalities. That said, for completionist sake (or in case I start a different character), I'd like to have all KL items. One alternative way to get these items that can work is that from Crash Team Racing (the cart racing game), which I also play somewhat seriously. At the end of the season, you can pay in-game currency (e.g., crystals) to top up the remaining awards in KL. So topping up from God to Elder God is cheap but from Apprentice to Elder Good is quite expensive. In-game currency, of course, can also be purchased with real currency. This way, good players get stuff for free, worse or busier players have to part with their resources, and NRS is richer -- everybody wins! Players really like this CTR season system, too. Just my two cents.
Every season so far when I take it seriously I have reached DG, and one almost God but I didn't grind hard enough and I ran out of time. If the item is typically a God or EG item, majority of players will not reach it even solid players I see on here, on YT who go to tournaments sometimes only reach DG at most but while I don't necessarily hate the mode, I hate that we're forced to play the mode for gear, skins, rewards etc as "exclusive stuff" I wouldn't mind your idea translated into MK 11, some have suggested all the hearts, souls and koins we earn(the former 2 being mostly pointless most of the time) trading those for the KL gear pieces people didn't reach or can't get. I have about 16,000 hearts and 10,000 souls something like that. About 1 million koins but koins are easy to get, just play ToT for a week and you'll bank a boatload. I would be down for trading in my stuff so long as it doesn't cost real money, I mean I haven't seen the KL items on the store yet. But that could very well change in the future, if anything I'd rather see the KL stuff in the store since the stuff they have are actually a lot easier to get, just takes timing with ToT towers, little patience and doing character towers which gives a lot of gear honestly. I also did the gauntlet which majority of players have not done from what I see on their Kombat Kards, profiles etc. It's very grindy, and honestly IMO not worth the rewards. They should give you like 10+ skins and gear pieces, instead you get a few literally.

The other solution for KL NRS can do is simply tweak the ranking system so that it's easier to rank up.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
Like seriously I wish and hope KL style awards and bonuses get implemented into every other fighter. The Idea of seasons + goodies is fantastic.
Jesus Christ no.

Putting otherwise unobtainable cosmetics behind a comp mode is a terrible idea. It just floods the ranks with people who wouldn't otherwise play the mode and thus breeds an even more negative environment than you already get with competitive nerds. It just encourages shit like plug pulling, lag switching, etc because now there is a "reason" for it. Any ranked mode should be played solely for the experience of getting better and bragging rights. Jeff Kaplan from overwatch regrets adding rewards to comp for some of these exact reasons.

All that aside KL is still the worst implementation of a competitive mode I've ever experienced in a video game period.

The other solution for KL NRS can do is simply tweak the ranking system so that it's easier to rank up.
I thought the system worked great... until I was trying to make DG and the only matches I could get had big downsides and no upsides. 7 wins in a row at GM, then 1 loss to a Champion who’s clearly sprinting past me to God, aaaaand back to my original score.

Lower volume at the higher tiers make sense, and clearly the really solid players do get the top rankings... maybe I just described why I’m not DG+ material lol

All that aside KL is still the worst implementation of a competitive mode I've ever experienced in a video game period.
I’m new to MK (well, a hiatus after MK2), but really? I found SFIV & V miserable, and I do think the overall presentation of it is pretty slick?

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Well thats a shit opinion cause to me its absolutely one of the best. I have absolutely no problem rewarding people for playing ranked.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
Well thats a shit opinion cause to me its absolutely one of the best. I have absolutely no problem rewarding people for playing ranked.
The point of that last sentence was that even if i like ranked rewards KL would still be terrible for the reasons already discussed in numerous threads.

MKF30

The problem isn't rewarding people for playing ranked, the problem is having the "rewards be exclusive" which is dumb af.

I thought the system worked great... until I was trying to make DG and the only matches I could get had big downsides and no upsides. 7 wins in a row at GM, then 1 loss to a Champion who’s clearly sprinting past me to God, aaaaand back to my original score.

Lower volume at the higher tiers make sense, and clearly the really solid players do get the top rankings... maybe I just described why I’m not DG+ material lol
'
I think the ranking system sucks the way they work it your example is a prime one as to why it sucks lol. Similar thing happened to me, I've beaten God's and EG's before though rarely due to me rarely getting matched up with them but last season when I hit late GM and DG I was getting quite a few of Gods and EG's. Yet when I get a champion, I'd lose lots of points if they were competitive, and Gods and EG's they always counterpick me with a top tier character lol. BTW welcome to MK. Been playing MK since MK 1 so I'm an old man here lol, I enjoyed the way MK 9 gave us rewards you could unlock shit through various means regardless of the outfit or whatever.

DeftMonk

Noob
Jesus Christ no.

Putting otherwise unobtainable cosmetics behind a comp mode is a terrible idea. It just floods the ranks with people who wouldn't otherwise play the mode and thus breeds an even more negative environment than you already get with competitive nerds. It just encourages shit like plug pulling, lag switching, etc because now there is a "reason" for it. Any ranked mode should be played solely for the experience of getting better and bragging rights. Jeff Kaplan from overwatch regrets adding rewards to comp for some of these exact reasons.

every Nrs game ever ranked has had cheaters. KL might have more but there’s also more players. Having nothing at all given to u for grinding out ranked isn’t a good thing imo.

Spektor

Noob
It's funny so many people complain about the rewards being recolors and at the same time people complaining that not everyone can get the recolors. If they actually made original gear and skins for KLeague there would be a riot from people who couldn't get the stuff. I don't see the argument, haven't there always been rewards that were hard to get in video games? If everything was handed out for no effort would it be worth playing at all? I remember how hype it was to fight someone who had the Johnny Cage Hotshot skin in MKX, you knew they were gonna be good

Last edited:
The problem isn't rewarding people for playing ranked, the problem is having the "rewards be exclusive" which is dumb af.

'
I think the ranking system sucks the way they work it your example is a prime one as to why it sucks lol. Similar thing happened to me, I've beaten God's and EG's before though rarely due to me rarely getting matched up with them but last season when I hit late GM and DG I was getting quite a few of Gods and EG's. Yet when I get a champion, I'd lose lots of points if they were competitive, and Gods and EG's they always counterpick me with a top tier character lol. BTW welcome to MK. Been playing MK since MK 1 so I'm an old man here lol, I enjoyed the way MK 9 gave us rewards you could unlock shit through various means regardless of the outfit or whatever.
Why thank you sir! I saw the very first Mortal Kombat cabinet at an old Pleasure Beach arcade when it first came out, pulled off Scorpion’s spear a few times and was hooked.

I pestered my parents to take us back a month or so later (3 hour round trip) after reading all the gaming magazines in the store, and saving enough pocket money for about 15 goes on the machine. Pulled a fatality off on a local kid, best day ever.

The presentation? Like the UI attached to it? I'm not sure what you mean.
I meant how it’s in-game ‘marketed’, it’s crystal clear how it works, the UI also yes. Every other similar game I’ve played online has been clunky and sans any gloss, but my online experience is limited to Tekken and Capcom.

Interesting point - I wonder what the stats on KL vs Regular ranked are, and then how much Kasual increases during KL.

I must admit I was intimidated by pretty much all online play when I first got the game, but it was the seemingly tighter ranking and less weirdos in KL that eventually got me enjoying it.

Btw, off topic, how can they keep the ‘public rooms’ feature open, with such poor numbers? It looks absurd / NRS must be embarrassed?
I have no idea about the public rooms issue. it usually ends up like that. i remember hearing the feature itself was having issues so maybe that's why but people usually just go to queues, kasual or ranked

KL isn't even truly Ranked.
Your rank resets every 30 days with no placement matches, completely defeating the purpose of a rank system.