What's new

Kombat League Info & General Discussion Thread!

E

Eldriken

I don't think your level is gonna factor into anything at all. It never has in an NRS game and it should remain that way. Level means nothing outside of how much you play the game.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Sort of, that's what ranked modes do. Every win is points for ranking up, every loss are points against leveling and even losing a rank. I don't know if that's how it'll work, but it'll be really interesting.
What im really hoping for is that there are levels for EACH CHARACTER instead of your profile rank as a whole. Its very discouraging trying out a new character online when you're matched with somebody who has played their character since the beginning with the same Rank. Of course you're gonna get your ass kicked cuz u dont know what the hell you're doing!

It should be every time u try a new character into Ranked, you start from zero. That way, you work your way up from the beginning facing people in the same range and be more comfortable learning that character.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
What im really hoping for is that there are levels for EACH CHARACTER instead of your profile rank as a whole. Its very discouraging trying out a new character online when you're matched with somebody who has played their character since the beginning with the same Rank. Of course you're gonna get your ass kicked cuz u dont know what the hell you're doing!

It should be every time u try a new character into Ranked, you start from zero. That way, you work your way up from the beginning facing people in the same range and be more comfortable learning that character.
!10/10!

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I don't think your level is gonna factor into anything at all. It never has in an NRS game and it should remain that way. Level means nothing outside of how much you play the game.
Unfortunately, the way the game is designed now, it effects in a negative way as I explained in the post above. It should be changed to make everybody feel more comfortable learning the game.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Maybe it does make a difference in NRS games but when I was playing ranked in DOA6 I found myself improving way more when I played with players of the same rank that I was in. But the problem is that sometimes it'll match you with people 3-4 ranks above you and so it's not always perfect in that regard.

I still think that if you're an intermediate player and you are constantly matched against new players it will make you pick up bad habits, because you're gonna play them differently than experienced players.

E

Eldriken

Maybe it does make a difference in NRS games but when I was playing ranked in DOA6 I found myself improving way more when I played with players of the same rank that I was in. But the problem is that sometimes it'll match you with people 3-4 ranks above you and so it's not always perfect in that regard.

I still think that if you're an intermediate player and you are constantly matched against new players it will make you pick up bad habits, because you're gonna play them differently than experienced players.
I'm not referring to anything in regards to this possible new system.

I'm talking about the player card level. Ck mentioned something about it currently matching people up by their level and I was pointing out that it's never worked that way for NRS games.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
What would you think about turning off fatalities/mercy in ranked mode?
Mercy would stay the same. I think Fatalities would stay but you only get like 2-3 seconds to do them. This teabagging for 10 seconds then doing a Fatality has go to go. I was gonna suggest being able to turn them off if you choose to in the options, and if one person has them off neither player can fatality. But I think fatalities add a psychological aspect. The biggest issue with them is how long they take tho. The fatal length AND how long you have to do them is ridiculous, tbh.

So idk, I’d have to gauge interest and see if the majority would want something like this.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Mercy would stay the same. I think Fatalities would stay but you only get like 2-3 seconds to do them. This teabagging for 10 seconds then doing a Fatality has go to go. I was gonna suggest being able to turn them off if you choose to in the options, and if one person has them off neither player can fatality. But I think fatalities add a psychological aspect. The biggest issue with them is how long they take tho. The fatal length AND how long you have to do them is ridiculous, tbh.

So idk, I’d have to gauge interest and see if the majority would want something like this.
I would disable fatals, keep brutals.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
@Juggs Cool. I just find it annoying having to wait the extra time between matches, and I don't really care for the taunting/tebagging nature of it.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
This is quite old news
Huh I can't believe I didn't see that thread. Weird.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
@Juggs Cool. I just find it annoying having to wait the extra time between matches, and I don't really care for the taunting/tebagging nature of it.
Yeah I think that’s the entire purpose of a Fatality. It’s annoying, long, and it’s as if the player is gloating, it’s also a tad disrespectful. I think all those are the reason people do it, it gets into your head. Same with teabagging.

I do think there’s way too much time to do a fatality though. I have to get teabagged for 15 seconds AND wait through a 30 second fatality? That would annoy just about anyone.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
I would disable fatals, keep brutals.
This.

This.

THIS.

The brutalities are badass and QUICK in this game, the perfect combination. I don't know why NRS thought everyone wanted to watch 30 second clips from "SAW" movies in Mortal Kombat. I get it, it's what made MK famous in the first place so they're stretching fatals to their full potential in this time period.

Ayx

Omnipresent
I wonder if they'll allow a deranking for those who are slowly unqualified? There's always a case of some who somehow manage to sneak in to high tier/placements but the reality is since the system is new the nature of getting the ranks may not be as accurate. For example there could be players that land in Grand Master because everyone is near the same rank at the beginning meaning if it's by a Point based system, more often then not people would be ranking up evenly until the gap slowly expands. The problem is some underperforming players will somehow manage to sneak by based on getting games w/ weaker higher ranked players.

Basically if it was like an ELO system I understand. But that's a whole other can of worms that I don't think they'll touch. We will really need details to see how it is going to be.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Since getting items are tied to Fatalities, I would suggest they put the speed up function like they do in AI battles ONLY for the Fatalities. I mean, its pretty damn funny seeing Baraka eat brains 4x speed with the sounds not synced :p

With that in motion, i think that can be a common ground for people to be ok with.

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
They should just do rank like SFV or DBZ and . think Tekken has a similar thing (or better). The blueprint is already laid out for what to do they just have to want to do it. Also there should be a character rank so you can be elder god rank overall but rank #26789 shang tsung because you just started using him and should get matched based on character rank and overall rank. or something like that. just make it good and patch when kombat league starts

Ayx

Omnipresent

The problem is then that requires character locking which is anti-tournament practice. otherwise if there's no lock, someone will pick a Lvl 0 char, lose potentially and immediately switch to their main and there could be a higher chance of dishonest W/Ls based on skill level.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.

Personally I'd prefer if it was an overall skill rating and you can use any character to achieve it if I'm honest. You can use the regular ranked mode to practice and get good with other characters before taking it into the Kombat League. Some sets can be won by changing character when you're down 2-1 or whatever so having different ranks for different characters is sort of a strange concept to me, atleast.

For me the dream scenario is that the set starts at 0 - 0 and you can't see each others character yet. Then you can change character if you choose to upon losing a game and if you win you nust stay on your character. First to 3 wins and that's it. At the end your Skill Rating goes up or down based on if you won or lost.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
The problem is then that requires character locking which is anti-tournament practice. otherwise if there's no lock, someone will pick a Lvl 0 char, lose potentially and immediately switch to their main and there could be a higher chance of dishonest W/Ls based on skill level.
sigh I guess ur right. Its just soooooo fucking discouraging to try new characters tho when most ppl have their best and Im over here still figuring out how to play neutral then get my ass kicked. It makes me just wanna switch to my main....wish there was some way to encourage people to try new characters....

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
sigh I guess ur right. Its just soooooo fucking discouraging to try new characters tho when most ppl have their best and Im over here still figuring out how to play neutral then get my ass kicked. It makes me just wanna switch to my main....wish there was some way to encourage people to try new characters....
The only solution to that is having a battle buddy and play some private 1v1s for a while before going in ranked.