What's new

Match-up Discussion Kitana's Current Standing in the Community <3

I wanted to see where you all think the princess currently stands in the community (tier list, matchups, etc)

In the past, she was proclaimed top 5 in 95% of everyone's top 5 lists, some people even listed her as number 1, 2 or 3.

But times have changed now, and Kitana in my opinion was a little overrated, but I feel she was exposed in some of her weaknesses, and that she currently, solidly sits in the spot she deserves.

I feel she is top 10, at about number 8 or 9.
I also feel she is a character who does not need to counter pick any of her matchups, she can win all of them, although some can be a bit hard or annoying.

My current MU list for Kitana

Baraka- 6/4
Cyber Sub-Zero- 7/3
Cyrax- 6/4
Ermac- 5/5
Freddy- 4/6
Jade- 6/4
Jax- 5/5
Johnny Cage- 5/5
Kabal- 4/6
Kano- 6/4
Kenshi- 4/6
Kung Lao- 5/5
Liu Kang- 5/5
Mileena- 5/5
Nightwolf- 6/4
Noob- 6/4
Quan- 6/4
Raiden- 5/5
Rain- 6/4
Reptile- 5/5
Scorpion- 6/4
Sektor- 5/5
Shang- 5/5
Sheeva- 7/3
Sindel- 6/4
Skarlet-6/4
Smoke- 5/5
Sonya- 5/5
Stryker- 5/5
Sub-Zero- 6/4

Bad Matchups: Freddy, Kabal, and Kenshi

Agree or disagree on this MU list?
Agree or disagree on her current standing?

I'd like feedback on where you position Kitana to be currently in the community.
All posts will be helpful :)

Espio

Kokomo
I like the match up chart overall and don't have much to add to it, but I will say that Stryker v.s. Kitana at 5-5 is definitely on point, I love this match up because they both check each other in different ways, Kitana with her range and pokes and Stryker with his zoning and counterzoning tools. I have this in my match up chart at 5-5 too.

Jade v.s. Kitana at 6-4 I could totally see and have nothing to really add to that.

My thoughts on Kitana: based on your chart, which I agree with pretty much, Kitana is in a really good place, balanced and strong, but not OP.

No.6 or 7 sounds about right for Kitana IMO. She does well both with and without meter, and as you said only has a handful of disadvantageous match-ups.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Yea she's around 6-8. She isn't top 5 anymore :( Top 10 is cool tho..I can't see her going any lower

When it comes to the matchup chart, this is why I kinda wish. 5s were still used. IMO, kenshi is her worst MU, but that is definitely 4-6. Kabal, Freddy nor Sonya aren't as hard as Kenshi and don't feel like a 4-6, but they definitely have an advantage over kitana.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Just outside of top 5. She's a character I hate enough to contemplate learning Kenshi just to telekinetic barrage her flying anus. Bitch move on my behalf? Most certainly.

NKZero

Noob
Yea she's around 6-8. She isn't top 5 anymore :( Top 10 is cool tho..I can't see her going any lower
I honestly see her 10th or 11th. These are a list of characters I think are definitely better: Raiden, Kabal, Sonya, Kenshi, Kung Lao, Johnny Cage, Smoke. So then she is in the group of the following characters: Reptile, Sektor, Jax, Cyrax and Skarlet, and I'd argue that Jax and Cyrax are better.

Anyways I feel her bad match-ups are Freddy, Kabal, Kenshi, Reptile, Raiden and Sonya.

i think kitana players have just find out what cdjr, maxter, crazy dominican, reo. tom brady have been trying to tell to the community for a long time about her zoning game not been as good as they thought it was.

but kitana it is still as good as she always was her tools are solid and she is one of the best character in this game S tier for sure.

about she been top 5 or not we need to learn that top 5 list will always be based on personal opinions and nothing more because there is more than 5 characters in this game which we can argue about them been top 5 or not

Flagg

Noob
Kitana hasn't been top 5 for awhile now and it still amazes me that people think she is that good. She possibly has the worst wake ups in the game, perhaps as bad as Sindel, maybe even worse. Even Kano can blow up Kitanas wake ups, with his overhead of all moves, that's how bad it is.

Don't get me wrong, she's a great character in the hands of a master but she's not up there with the God tier of Kabal, Kenshi, Skarlet and Kung Lao.

i think kitana players have just find out what cdjr, maxter, crazy dominican, reo. tom brady have been trying to tell to the community for a long time about her zoning game not been as good as they thought it was.

but kitana it is still as good as she always was her tools are solid and she is one of the best character in this game S tier for sure.

about she been top 5 or not we need to learn that top 5 list will always be based on personal opinions and nothing more because there is more than 5 characters in this game which we can argue about them been top 5 or not
I understand the zoning part, but even a complete rushdown Kitana, I still don't see her being better than Kabal, Kenshi, Sonya, Freddy, Jax, etc.

She's a great character nonetheless.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
Kitana might just be the classiest character in MK.

Not OP, but has great strengths. People who main her are the best. Her bad matchups are against characters that are really good.

...and we have b2. Take a second and go to practice mode and do her b2. It is the most satisfying attack ever.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
I always said she wasn't top 5. But just outside of it. Good list seems 100% accurate should be the one added to the official match up chart.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about the Reptile match-up, I always get blown up offline by them.
It's probably just me though, I suck at this game.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Yeah Kitana moved around #6-8. If she ever falls out from Top 10, it would be #11 but highly unlikely. It's just other characters have a better wake up attack and an armored special move which she doesn't. However, Kitana has huge range on her normals, high damage output and the comeback factor in matches which makes her a very solid character. She does have bad MUs Kenshi, Freddy and Kabal. Kitana's weaknesses have been revealed just like how everyone knows how to fight Mileena when she was once highly rated. Next we're going to have how to fight Kenshi, Sonya, Kabal, Freddy and exploit their flaws.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I agree with this list. I mean 39% off of a jump kick...high damage off of F21 and 21...that alone, IMO, makes her deadly. People who thought she was top 5 probably just had a mental block against Kitana players. Nothing feels better than landing a naked air fan and taking people out with UNBREAKABLE combos. She's solid as hell.

I understand the zoning part, but even a complete rushdown Kitana, I still don't see her being better than Kabal, Kenshi, Sonya, Freddy, Jax, etc.

that is the thing she does not have to be a complete zoning or rushdown character she can be both because she is good at both. . . and her footsies and wiff punish are both great as well and let not even talk about her unbreakble combo for 29%-32% with one bar or 22% unbreakble with not meter

lets be real here the only thing kitana is missing is an armor move and as a kitana player myself i know her wakeup options are not god like but saying her wakeup options sux in my opinion is under rating her wakeup. the fact that you are limiting your oponent to ducking attacks because if they do not duck they will get hit by her wakeup attack it is a much better option than most of the character in this game have. and lets not forget that a lot of the characters in this game only have a good wakeup option by using one bar of meter

to be fair there is very very few characters in this game that have a good wake up move without having to use meter kenshi knightwolf , noob , kabal

that is the thing she does not have to be a complete zoning or rushdown character she can be both because she is good at both. . . and her footsies and wiff punish are both great as well and let not even talk about her unbreakble combo for 29%-32% with one bar or 22% unbreakble with not meter

lets be real here the only thing kitana is missing is an armor move and as a kitana player myself i know her wakeup options are not god like but saying her wakeup options sux in my opinion is under rating her wakeup. the fact that you are limiting your oponent to ducking attacks because if they do not duck they will get hit by her wakeup attack it is a much better option than most of the character in this game have. and lets not forget that a lot of the characters in this game only have a good wakeup option by using one bar of meter

to be fair there is very very few characters in this game that have a good wake up move without having to use meter kenshi knightwolf , noob , kabal
yeah, I like playing a hybrid Kitana.

Thanks for your input, much respect riu :)