What's new

Match-up Discussion Kitana Match-Up Chart

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
kitana has got to at least go even with Liu Kang....unless kung lao goes even with him. My whole team was built around covering weak matchups....unlesss theres a better team that i could do instead of Kitana Kung and Rep.....

Kitana and Kung Lao is probably one of the best teams in the game.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
Kitana and Kung Lao is probably one of the best teams in the game.
does kitana cover all of Lao's bad matchups (the few that he has) and does lao do the same for her? in that case who should my third be in case they have a bad matchup in common...

Deity

Noob
does kitana cover all of Lao's bad matchups (the few that he has) and does lao do the same for her? in that case who should my third be in case they have a bad matchup in common...
Sonya is the only character that beats both, I think Kabal beats both as well but that's debatable

Axel_Redd

Sonya is the only character that beats both, I think Kabal beats both as well but that's debatable
i thought sonya goes even with Kitana....if not then what would be a good character for fighting her?

Deity

Noob
i thought sonya goes even with Kitana....if not then what would be a good character for fighting her?
Just my personal opinion, I dont really know that MU in depth so mr. mileena probably knows something I don't. As far as a char thats good against sonya goes kabal and kenshi would be best.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I could see lao being 5-5 but I'm having trouble believing kitana is 5-5. She seems helpless when she gets knocked down. Could you explain that one for me?

From 16Bit:

" The case for 5-5 is that you can keep her out and punish dive kick for hella damage.

You use IAF to control the pace and then play footsies using d+3/d+1 to stuff d+4 and get in with jk and f+2,1(instead of 2,1 because of d+4)."

I agree with this. This match is mainly lifelead based, only thing is when kitana gets life lead, she would want to play keepaway, while Sonya would be very aggressive.

Axel_Redd

Just my personal opinion, I dont really know that MU in depth so mr. mileena probably knows something I don't. As far as a char thats good against sonya goes kabal and kenshi would be best.
i've been working on the basics with kabal, his NDC's and his Iagb's, so i guess i could go with him, but what about freddy?

Deity

Noob
From 16Bit:

" The case for 5-5 is that you can keep her out and punish dive kick for hella damage.

You use IAF to control the pace and then play footsies using d+3/d+1 to stuff d+4 and get in with jk and f+2,1(instead of 2,1 because of d+4)."

I agree with this. This match is mainly lifelead based, only thing is when kitana gets life lead, she would want to play keepaway, while Sonya would be very aggressive.
I'm seeing it now. Even though kitana doesnt have armor her options for spacing out sonya are pretty strong.
i've been working on the basics with kabal, his NDC's and his Iagb's, so i guess i could go with him, but what about freddy?
I don't really know about the sonya v. freddy mu

Death

Noob
I'm seeing it now. Even though kitana doesnt have armor her options for spacing out sonya are pretty strong.

I don't really know about the sonya v. freddy mu
Sonya vs Freddy is absolutely terrible. This MU makes me question if Sonya is even tournament viable.

Axel_Redd

Or i could pick up Kenshi too...but i'd really have to work on my footwork & timing if that were the case....

Sonya vs Freddy is absolutely terrible. This MU makes me question if Sonya is even tournament viable.
Okay. The downplaying has got to stop.
Wanna talk about a tourny viable character, well Sonya is one.

Look, if you don't want your ex armored cartwheel, just give it to Kitty

Insuperable

My mom tells me I'm pretty
Quan vs Kitana is not a good match-up for Quan. If your reasoning for Quan being good for Kitana is:
They have equal zoning: You're not playing a Kitana who can consistently iaf
Their footsies are similar: Quan has a stubby d3 and a non-existent d1. Kitana's strings reach 1/4 to full screen, are safe on block and 21 is decently fast and easily hit confirmed. Quan has a string that reaches about 1/4 screen, but it's very slow and extremely punishable between each motion.
Cutter: LBSH, if a Kitana ends more strings with cutter than ending it as 21 or 212, you're not versing a Kitana
Rune Trap: Although very good, 1 bar 50%+ > 3 bar 50%+