What's new

Match-up Discussion Kitana Match-Up Chart

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
is there any move kitana has that can punish a blocked poke?
D1 or d3. That's about it. But she's designed to blow up counterpokes so its no biggie.

I wish her standing 3 had more range and was a bit faster. That would've been a gdlk poke punisher

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
She can technically punish a blocked d+1 with a b+3 or 3 but it's difficult. Counter poking with d+3 into a mixup is the viable solution.
oh wells, i need to start working on punishing blocked pokes with Kung Lao's spin :D lol.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
GGA 16 Bit, do you have sonya kitana 5-5? I thought that mu was 6-4 bcuz d4 ms is a problem, sonya's fast projectile, armor, and swift uppercut. Kitana can play footsies, but sonya's d4 and standing 4 will cause kitana alot of problems and instant dive kick must be respected when trying to do d1s. But i'd like to know why 5-5 for that mu.

The case for 5-5 is that you can keep her out and punish dive kick for hella damage.

You use IAF to control the pace and then play footsies using d+3/d+1 to stuff d+4 and get in with jk and f+2,1(instead of 2,1 because of d+4).

I'm not convinced though. I have done well against top Sonya offline but didn't think they played the MU to it's max.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
How does Kitana not beat Baraka 7-3? After any blocked Blade Charge, Raka HAS to block a F2. She controls spacing so well, and whiff punishes extremely hard.
I agree actually. Thinking about this matchup has made me realize it is pretty bad. Her fans also fuck with his blade charging I have found.

The case for 5-5 is that you can keep her out and punish dive kick for hella damage.

You use IAF to control the pace and then play footsies using d+3/d+1 to stuff d+4 and get in with jk and f+2,1(instead of 2,1 because of d+4).

I'm not convinced though. I have done well against top Sonya offline but didn't think they played the MU to it's max.
yep, her footsies keep her in this fight, i haven't watched a high lvl kit and sonya player play in a while, so at NEC you should play death or any other sonya that goes there and see how it goes. Kitana vs freddy should be a 7=3 right?

xKhaoTik

yep, her footsies keep her in this fight, i haven't watched a high lvl kit and sonya player play in a while, so at NEC you should play death or any other sonya that goes there and see how it goes. Kitana vs freddy should be a 7=3 right?
I was hoping to run Sonya vs Kit matches at NEC with 16Bit, just so we could get an accurate MU #

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios

Freddy is very tough. I think it's the easier of her big 3 though(Kenshi, Kabal, Freddy).

Kabal is extremely bad. I do not understand the case for it being only 4-6. IMO it's a matter of Kitana players being able to outplay Kabal's either through familiarity or the Kabal players being weak to aspects of Kitana's game. Kabal has so many options in this MU. It basically comes down to guessing games(that he chooses when we play them) that are heavily stacked for Kabal. For every time you're right and you get to blow him up he had a bunch of options that would have blown you up. I mean, we talk about Kitana controlling some of these MU and how big a deal that is, yet Kabal's control over a MU is on another level here. To be honest I do not think there is a Kabal that plays this MU at it's peak. There's some that are good but they all have bits and pieces of it. A Kabal "complete" in this MU would show how bad it is.

Freddy is very tough. I think it's the easier of her big 3 though(Kenshi, Kabal, Freddy).

Kabal is extremely bad. I do not understand the case for it being only 4-6. IMO it's a matter of Kitana players being able to outplay Kabal's either through familiarity or the Kabal players being weak to aspects of Kitana's game. Kabal has so many options in this MU. It basically comes down to guessing games(that he chooses when we play them) that are heavily stacked for Kabal. For every time you're right and you get to blow him up he had a bunch of options that would have blown you up. I mean, we talk about Kitana controlling some of these MU and how big a deal that is, yet Kabal's control over a MU is on another level here. To be honest I do not think there is a Kabal that plays this MU at it's peak. There's some that are good but they all have bits and pieces of it. A Kabal "complete" in this MU would show how bad it is.
yeah i agree, when a kitana beats a high lvl kabal, that's just the player making great reads and overcoming the terrible mu. Kabal kitana 7-3 for sure, i'd have kenshi as an 8-2 tbh, and freddy a 7-3.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
yeah i agree, when a kitana beats a high lvl kabal, that's just the player making great reads and overcoming the terrible mu. Kabal kitana 7-3 for sure, i'd have kenshi as an 8-2 tbh, and freddy a 7-3.

Everytime I rant about Kabal I am blown up and told I beat REO and other Kabal players so it can't be that bad.

Let's be serious here. The times I've lost to Kabal are forgotten and I've never beaten a Kabal where I didn't use every gimmick in the book.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
totally agree that it should be 7-3 kabal, he fucks her shit right up, LBSH, Bit goes into fuckin terminator mode when he plays REO in tourny I guess, Bit played those matches so well it was insane, nothin but respect for it,

Love the list Mr Mil, almost exactly what I think, except I do think Kitty wins the cage match up, just because she can control the whole match, D1-ass to get out and away from the corner is king in that match up, it`s not much of an advantage but I would put it at 6-4,

I can`t believe I agree with everything 16 Bit has said in here about all these match ups, but I totally agree with it all, and yo, Kenshi aint 2-8, it`s a fuckin 3-7 though, I wish I had more freddy xp, but to me freddy does feel easier then the kenshi match up,

Love the kitana CONVO though, this is awesome!!!

I think kang has advantage 6-4 as well,

love the chart Mr. Mil

Kitana 4 life

Everytime I rant about Kabal I am blown up and told I beat REO and other Kabal players so it can't be that bad.

Let's be serious here. The times I've lost to Kabal are forgotten and I've never beaten a Kabal where I didn't use every gimmick in the book.
haha, too beat detroit with scorpion, i had to go all out and put it all on the line lol, and play a safe ass game and turtle it out. To beat kabal with kitana, it takes very good reads and stern patience, one mistake could jack the kitana up bad.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Can someone tell me why Kitana-Skarlet is 5-5? I've been arguing for maybe 6-4 or just 5.5-4.5 for a while now but haven't heard any reasons behind it being even.

xKhaoTik

Can someone tell me why Kitana-Skarlet is 5-5? I've been arguing for maybe 6-4 or just 5.5-4.5 for a while now but haven't heard any reasons behind it being even.
Honestly, the only reason why I had it as 5-5 was based on my ft10 with scar.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
6-4 Kitana vs CSZ if CSZ has full meter

xKhaoTikx
GGA 16 Bit

I'll go into depth about this MU though from what I can say.

Kitana can bypass CSZ's tools more than Kabal IMO.

Parry is useless since cutter can't be parried.

Her iAF gives more reward compared to others and sends CSZ back to full screen to deal with it, divekicks are asking to get blown up by fans.

CSZ is stuck in August of 2011, where Kitana was top 5 because of fans.

BUT, since CSZ has a weird X-Ray tech specific to Kitana, getting hit once equals death similar to Quan-Chi....this changes the MU should CSZ get full meter, which is undoubtedly hard considering most damage comes from ex-bomb shenanigans in this MU or saving it for breakers.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
i agree with vs baraka being 6-4.
just because she can check a blade charge with f2 doesnt mean too much tbh,its not like its a punish or even something baraka has to sit thereand take if the kitana is trying to overusw it.
baraka has options against 21,d1 and jk~fan so IMO i dont think it 3-7.
fans vs charge is the only real pain in the mu besides kit out damaging raka

xKhaoTikx
GGA 16 Bit

Her iAF gives more reward compared to others and sends CSZ back to full screen to deal with it, divekicks are asking to get blown up by fans.

BUT, since CSZ has a weird X-Ray tech specific to Kitana, getting hit once equals death similar to Quan-Chi....this changes the MU should CSZ get full meter, which is undoubtedly hard considering most damage comes from ex-bomb shenanigans in this MU or saving it for breakers.
Go ahead and burn your meter for like 37%, then you won't be able to break my 52% thank you very much.

<3

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I feel that Kitana beats Skarlet 6-4.

• Skarlet's zoning is horrible. You take 3-4% and trade 8% air fans.
  • Kitana's normals and footsies are better.
  • Skarlet's dagger cancels leave her open to jk~af combos as she cannot block during the dash cancel.
  • Kitana punishes tele-stab with full combo.
  • You can bait wakeups from Skarlet and if she commits to an attack out of red dash, she gets punished with ex fan into full combo.
I know that there are a lot of things Skarlet can do too, but from the Kitana standpoint, it definitely feels like I have an advantage.

Frigid_Alloy

Their blood will freeze in my hands!
Kitana is the reason I keep Reptile on deck. Fans......freaking Fans everywhere!!! Then all of the sudden.. KiTaNa'S AsS!

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
kitana has got to at least go even with Liu Kang....unless kung lao goes even with him. My whole team was built around covering weak matchups....unlesss theres a better team that i could do instead of Kitana Kung and Rep.....

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana

xKhaoTikx
GGA 16 Bit

LBSH The only way that CSZ is going to get full meter is by losing his healthbar in this matchup.