What's new

Kitana General Discussion

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
Mkx kitana was a really fun character and it was more fun doing freestyle conversions and seeing what combos you got. I still feel like they completely missed the mark with this character in this game.

Now if I want random projectile conversions I feel like I need to play jade or cetrion.

Parasurama

Dragon
I still have faith in Highborn. I think Kitana would be a top tier character if the razors functioned properly. She has all the tools to win in that variation (i.e., very good zoning and anti-zoning, decent offense, excellent chip damage, unbreakable grounded combos that provide massive frame advantage, etc.) Before NRS buff Kitana again, can our special move actually hit all characters please? LOL.
I think they need to make her mid true and quite a few characters need to have mids not be low profiled (not only Kitana). Joker has a true mid- why can’t other characters get that?

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
I still don't think that fanfare has a specific game plan. Kitana simply doesn't cut it as only a whiffpunisher due to her slow frame data. Projectile absorption is still too slow to use reliably. The only good thing is her reversal booty and her air control but that's nothing special. I'd like her to have air fan toss to at least be able to get damage from everything and control the air much better.
I think the major thing preventing her from being a great whiff punisher is her relatively slow back movement speed.
The frames could stay the same but if she had DLC movement or S-Tier movement, she'd be perfect at whiff punishing imo.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Mkx kitana was a really fun character and it was more fun doing freestyle conversions and seeing what combos you got. I still feel like they completely missed the mark with this character in this game.

Now if I want random projectile conversions I feel like I need to play jade or cetrion.
This is super accurate.

Jade even has jump kick fan(glaive) and it leads to a good 25%+ combo on hit and the combos feels satisfying lol. Standing 2 anti-air into ex up glaive combos or her straight glaive combo converts too.Jade definitely fulfills that if you like that style and if you like zoning to boot she definitely hits that mark too.

I played a lot of MKX Kitana and MK9 Kitana, but don't really touch her in this game because she had a very specific play style that people liked.

I still don't think that fanfare has a specific game plan. Kitana simply doesn't cut it as only a whiffpunisher due to her slow frame data. Projectile absorption is still too slow to use reliably. The only good thing is her reversal booty and her air control but that's nothing special. I'd like her to have air fan toss to at least be able to get damage from everything and control the air much better.
If you dont mind me putting in my 2 cents of Fanfare knowledge that I've learned since I specifically main that variation, Fanfare is about damage. Thats pretty much it. You have to get damage. The problem, is... in this game we have regenerating meter, breakaway where you can punish combos or specific pressure paths, and a AIR FAN THAT REQUIRES YOU READ YOUR OPPONENT JUMPING AT A SPECIFIC DISTANCE, THROWING AN ENHANCED IA FAN, AND DASHING IN TIME TO HITCONFIRM, it makes Fanfare worse than the other two variations in comparison. Highborn gets pressure and safe strings that you normally wouldnt get, and Fearless gets probably one of the best projectiles in the game, that does what instant air regular fans SHOULD do. So even though FF can get damage from everywhere, its too hard to work for outside of a weak strike throw game. Fun to play, not recommended because theres pretty much no reason to play that variation over the other two. If Fearless could combo off Fannado from anywhere I would have dropped FF by now.

Edit: Oh, you do get unbreakable damage now, but I still dont see the point lol Highborn and Fearless keep your opponent standing for better pressure.

Second edit: My biggest problem with this version of Kitana is simply that she cant combo from regular IAF, something shes always been able to do.

If Kitana wasnt my favorite MK character, I'd probably be maining Kabal because imo, hes the better Kitana.
Bruh... I say this all the time on my stream!!! Haha

Last edited:
How do you guys deal with Jade and her oppressive d4? My main big issue with Jade is that her D4 makes it impossible to whiff punish. I did a test with characters like Erron Black and Noob and had better success backdash and canceling into B2. Erron Black had a backdash punish on reversal canceling into B2, and Noob you could walk back slightly and B2. Jade though, well you basically have to make a hard read. Because if you dont walk ALL the way back she punishes you with another follow up d4. This has cost me many games because Jade players basically know they can just d4 you to death. And when you walk back they just hit you with anything they want.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
How do you guys deal with Jade and her oppressive d4? My main big issue with Jade is that her D4 makes it impossible to whiff punish. I did a test with characters like Erron Black and Noob and had better success backdash and canceling into B2. Erron Black had a backdash punish on reversal canceling into B2, and Noob you could walk back slightly and B2. Jade though, well you basically have to make a hard read. Because if you dont walk ALL the way back she punishes you with another follow up d4. This has cost me many games because Jade players basically know they can just d4 you to death. And when you walk back they just hit you with anything they want.
I’ve said for a while now that I think Jade is a tougher MU for Kitana. She’s faster, she outranges us, AND she can take away fans.

It’s just tough where you have to play a hard footsie game right outside of her d4/b2 range and punish her for whiffing anything. You can’t be full screen because she’ll just glow all day (come off it, no one is reacting to glow 100% of the time), and you have to be quick as fuck otherwise you’re eating a b2 to the face and going right back full screen or punished with her enhanced pole vault.

I’ve said for a while now that I think Jade is a tougher MU for Kitana. She’s faster, she outranges us, AND she can take away fans.

It’s just tough where you have to play a hard footsie game right outside of her d4/b2 range and punish her for whiffing anything. You can’t be full screen because she’ll just glow all day (come off it, no one is reacting to glow 100% of the time), and you have to be quick as fuck otherwise you’re eating a b2 to the face and going right back full screen or punished with her enhanced pole vault.
Okay cool; yeah to be honest with you I just wanted to confirm with the Kitana community that she could possibly lose this match up. I consider a matchup losing where things are just not in your favor and you have to make hard, HARD reads to get anywhere. FF at least has that issue. Because you cant whiff punish or Fan Toss (two of FFs best tools IMO). And float is all you have left, which is too dangerous to do,

xWildx

Maybe I need to work the matchup more then. I dont know exactly what Im supposed to be doing.
The idea is to understand that you can’t outzone her due to glow, so your best option is to walk her down to a corner and then punish her attempt to escape.

The idea is to understand that you can’t outzone her due to glow, so your best option is to walk her down to a corner and then punish her attempt to escape.
You know it wouldn't surprise me if I'm being impatient overall. I had a similar problem with a Raiden and Erron today. Raiden would just teleport and walk back, and Erron kept doing the same thing except he was even more patient and would open me up and then end in slide, resetting me to midscreen. Maybe I'm just not patient enough in general.

xWildx

You know it wouldn't surprise me if I'm being impatient overall. I had a similar problem with a Raiden and Erron today. Raiden would just teleport and walk back, and Erron kept doing the same thing except he was even more patient and would open me up and then end in slide, resetting me to midscreen. Maybe I'm just not patient enough in general.
It’s probably a key element. Jade thrives off of impatience. She’ll kill you with 1,000 cuts, but you kind of have to let her.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
whats the consensus on Fearless? Been playing it for a couple months now and love the zoning, but seems she has a couple really rough MUs like 52KP Erron