What's new

Kitana General Discussion

Sadly several skins that were shown off on youtube even before the KL that had the zombie Johnny, Sonya, Cassie, etc. on youtube have still yet to see the light of day. and that was a while back ago. which BTW, you rarely see a lot of people using many of these KL skins. at least i don't. I wish Kitana had the mask she used in story mode where the upper half is pulled down. IIRC it is when she fights Cassie in the beginning. I also hope we get the UMK3 skins for her, Jade, and Skarlet. Actually, i liked all her costumes in MKX as well and wouldn't mind them returning.
That would be great to have. For my Revenant Kitana, I use the default version of that mask.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
That would be great to have. For my Revenant Kitana, I use the default version of that mask.
that mask is amazing on several other non-revenant skins too! especially the human ones where she has the cape. I'm kinda surprised there is no Kronika Crown to wear for all characters or skins at least. and while we are at it. a purple Jade staff available to all her skins. These would be one step closer to world peace! :)

Last edited:

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
If anyone saw Scar's stream, I was the Kitana player using highborn. (RisingShieldBro). I absolutely hate how Scar can just mash d3 with Lao and I have to respect it because always trades in his favor due to us having slow mids and pokes, not to mention the mind game of Orbital hat. And now he has an armor break that does 50%

I hate this MU with a burning passion because it's mindless as hell.

DarkSado

Noob
If anyone saw Scar's stream, I was the Kitana player using highborn. (RisingShieldBro). I absolutely hate how Scar can just mash d3 with Lao and I have to respect it because always trades in his favor due to us having slow mids and pokes, not to mention the mind game of Orbital hat. And now he has an armor break that does 50%

I hate this MU with a burning passion because it's mindless as hell.
Good to hear I'm not the only one hate that match up Lmao.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
@M2Dave Opinion?

I was wondering if you think F2222 is a real autoshimmy now? Kitana has lots of long pauses during her strings except for F2222. It's also safe now so do you think it's something for Kitana players (especially highborn) to use?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
@M2Dave Opinion?

I was wondering if you think F2222 is a real autoshimmy now? Kitana has lots of long pauses during her strings except for F2222. It's also safe now so do you think it's something for Kitana players (especially highborn) to use?
Interesting idea that I will try. I never used f+2 outside of combos. If I recall correctly, the initial hit has a very high hitbox that can be low profiled.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Interesting idea that I will try. I never used f+2 outside of combos. If I recall correctly, the initial hit has a very high hitbox that can be low profiled.
It does reach pretty far, though, so I find it to be useful to catch people in neutral (especially combined with the threat of B2 which is basically neutral on block). Toss in fans as well as D4 and you've got people scared to just neutral duck from the various threats.
I would KILL for there to be a movie skin pack for Kitana, Liu, Jax, Sonya, Kano, Johnny, Sub, and Scorpion (we've already got Shang after all). Kitana's movie outfit, especially her hair, was absolutely amazing. Just LOOK AT HUH

EDIT: how the fuck did I exclude Raiden of all people from the skin pack? He'd be my #2 behind Kitana for most wanted MK Movie Pack skins.

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
Highborn is overrated. There I said it.
Upwards fan toss for fanfare when?
Fearless is Gucci in my opinion.
11f b1 when?
Better pokes when?
Oh wait, the developers don't know how to balance characters.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Highborn is overrated. There I said it.
I still have faith in Highborn. I think Kitana would be a top tier character if the razors functioned properly. She has all the tools to win in that variation (i.e., very good zoning and anti-zoning, decent offense, excellent chip damage, unbreakable grounded combos that provide massive frame advantage, etc.) Before NRS buff Kitana again, can our special move actually hit all characters please? LOL.

gitblame

Noob
Now Kitana is in real comfortable spot and all 3 variations are at least solid. I just play 3 of them, you can pick variation to have good or even matchup most of the times.

John_NX

Now Kitana is in real comfortable spot and all 3 variations are at least solid. I just play 3 of them, you can pick variation to have good or even matchup most of the times.
I still don't think that fanfare has a specific game plan. Kitana simply doesn't cut it as only a whiffpunisher due to her slow frame data. Projectile absorption is still too slow to use reliably. The only good thing is her reversal booty and her air control but that's nothing special. I'd like her to have air fan toss to at least be able to get damage from everything and control the air much better.

John_NX

I don’t agree with this...somewhat.

It’s 5f. It’s MORE that quick enough to use reliably. The problem is it recovers too slow so characters with a fast projectile or double projectiles kinda hinders it
Yeah, exactly what I meant.

gitblame

Noob
Fan-fare has really good U2 game + d3 anti airing ppl really can hurt. Also she has top armor breaker. That's what she does better than other variations.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
The issue is, Kitana still doesn’t have a defined playstyle in this game which makes her overall kit feel weak. It’s like they started designing her like classic Kitana (back when standing fan could easily combo) then tried to make her a counter-zoner after the fact.

She does fine, but unless you like the character there’s literally no reason to pick her over anyone else. I partially blame the vanilla ass base kits and half-assed variations for this, too.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
The issue is, Kitana still doesn’t have a defined playstyle in this game which makes her overall kit feel weak. It’s like they started designing her like classic Kitana (back when standing fan could easily combo) then tried to make her a counter-zoner after the fact.

She does fine, but unless you like the character there’s literally no reason to pick her over anyone else. I partially blame the vanilla ass base kits and half-assed variations for this, too.
Oddly enough, I think the easiest fix to this lack of style identity is make her strings with aerial moves special cancelable. It'd be a good callback to things like her MK9 B2 and MKX F22U3 where her launching style was less about launching into another string and instead into aerial fans. I know she doesnt have the fan combos much anymore, but reinstating her aerial fighter identity is important in my mind. This would also help differentiate Fanfare due to Float potentially opening up pressure options on block and corner combo opportunities.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Oddly enough, I think the easiest fix to this lack of style identity is make her strings with aerial moves special cancelable. It'd be a good callback to things like her MK9 B2 and MKX F22U3 where her launching style was less about launching into another string and instead into aerial fans. I know she doesnt have the fan combos much anymore, but reinstating her aerial fighter identity is important in my mind. This would also help differentiate Fanfare due to Float potentially opening up pressure options on block and corner combo opportunities.
100%. It could also open up opportunities to use her Edenian Twist KB in Fearless. The fact that Ground War isn’t staple in all variations boggles my mind as it is.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Still imagining a world where Kitana can special cancel 21434 and B231343. You'd have a MUCH more interesting Kitana as well as an actual use for two of her most useless strings. Just imagine cool combos like..

Fan-fare: 21434 ex air fan B14 lift 12 gut slice KB
Fan-fare (corner): 21434 float JK B14 lift JK ex air fan 12 gut slice KB
Highborn: 21434 ex air fan B14 gut slice KB
Highborn (corner): 21434 ex air fan JK d1 razors 12 gut slice KB
Fearless: 21434 ex air fan (hop) edenian twist KB B14 gut slice KB
Fearless (corner): 21434 ex air fan B14 lift (hop) edenian twist KB B14 gut slice KB

Even KB Christmas situations aside, it'd add an entirely new BnB route that would result in her best corner carry and be the single-most consistent way for all 3 variations to cash out on the two main KBs (Slice and Twist). Just the thought of seeing 21434 cancel into float / air fan / square wave makes me so happy.

Toss in B231343 (which is normally -7) suddenly becoming a mindgame-filled way to get in 3% chip damage in without guaranteeing your turn loss in Fan-fare (float / square wave / air fan) and Fearless (edenian twist / air fan).

Imagine the weird blockstring pressure in Fan-fare with a float after B231343 (which leaves her VERY close to the ground) for an immediate mixup of aerial normal out of float, ex air fan (-3 on block, +24 on hit) out of float, empty float into immediate hop OH, empty float into grab, empty float into block strings, empty float into low poke, or letting the full string ride with no cancel since it's a perfect-timing punish anyway.

If she's in Fearless, she still has the ex air fan and edenian twist threats to keep you guessing with an INSANELY fast OH in twist (it's a 5f startup when done super close to the ground) that will keep you from ever trying to neutral duck the ex fan (assuming it wouldn't jail).

I'll quit musing I guess. Not to be a debbie downer, but I really don't see this happening considering NRS hasn't decided to do so over a year into the game's life. These would be some pretty big changes to her options and playstyle which NRS doesn't seem to care about expanding on. Gotta stick to those two damaging strings for combos, mashing razors, and mashing fans with nothing else to bother doing I guess.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Play MKX and then come back to this game. The difference between those Kitana’s is damn near heartbreaking
Style? Yeah, it's a very sad departure.
Power level and options? Duh. Apples to oranges comparison just like any other MKX -> MK11 character transitions.