What's new

Kitana General Discussion

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium

I’m glad he’s talking about fan fare specially and also her normals
This is a very elegant way to buff Fan-fare in my opinion. I very much like the idea because it's both unique and pushes a gameplay style that's severely lacking across Kitana's variations due to her shit normals (effective rushdown).

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
Guys I have a real issue with kitanas anti airs. I have NO issue anti airing characters with Cassie, Jacqui, Jade etc but I can't anti air with kitanas S1. It just passes right through them. D3 barely anti airs at times. What's the best damn anti air this character has?

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Guys I have a real issue with kitanas anti airs. I have NO issue anti airing characters with Cassie, Jacqui, Jade etc but I can't anti air with kitanas S1. It just passes right through them. D3 barely anti airs at times. What's the best damn anti air this character has?
D3 lol

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
^

Her D3 is one of the best anti-airs in the game as it puts her into Mileena Ball Roll levels of low profile.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I saw this on Twitter, I think he makes a good point.
On other hand hand, Kitana Prime has done well in online tournaments with all three of Kitana's variations, Semiij still uses Fan-Fare Kitana as a secondary character, and if I recall correctly, VideoGamezYo used Fan-Fare Kitana to win an online European tournament.

But in the end a Kitana player ought to ask himself or herself to use Highborn or not, that is the question. :REO

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I am satisfied with the current state of Kitana, I don’t want to be too greedy, and I am a casual so I am okay currently. My only grievance was the combo potential, and that’s something that isn’t going to get any better than it already has. A lot of my grievances were actually (when summed up) that MK11 doesn’t want to play like MKX or MK9.

John_NX

On other hand hand, Kitana Prime has done well in online tournaments with all three of Kitana's variations, Semiij still uses Fan-Fare Kitana as a secondary character, and if I recall correctly, VideoGamezYo used Fan-Fare Kitana to win an online European tournament.

But in the end a Kitana player ought to ask himself or herself to use Highborn or not, that is the question. :REO
I barely see any kitana players and Jade players as well. The only ones I've seen is semiij and KP and they do kinda well but guess what? Usually they gotta put double the effort because of their characters shortcomings. I've said this and I'll say it again, we'll never seen any kitana and Jade player in a top 8 unless they get adjusted and if we do see them, they'll 90% lose. Kitana has received NOTHING but variation buffs.

Last edited:

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
I am satisfied with the current state of Kitana, I don’t want to be too greedy, and I am a casual so I am okay currently. My only grievance was the combo potential, and that’s something that isn’t going to get any better than it already has. A lot of my grievances were actually (when summed up) that MK11 doesn’t want to play like MKX or MK9.
This right here. MK9 and MKX Kitana had a fuckton of options, tools, and threats at basically any and all distances on screen. In MK11's toned down environment, Kitana is a slow and steady zoning / spacing character.

I'd love to have fan combos back because I love to zone as Kitana and I miss being able to have free 3-4 fan, fullscreen combos; but I also can see where that'd be just a teensy bit frustrating in MK11.

She is boring to watch ... that's my main problem ... only two or three strings as an effective option, repeating again and again ... she's slow, lacking some nice, flashy, eye-catching combos and moves, her stance is odd ... meh, meh ... Jade is very well thought and performed, on the other hand .... much more creativity put in her character ... like a nimble assassin, she is ...

John_NX

This right here. MK9 and MKX Kitana had a fuckton of options, tools, and threats at basically any and all distances on screen. In MK11's toned down environment, Kitana is a slow and steady zoning / spacing character.

I'd love to have fan combos back because I love to zone as Kitana and I miss being able to have free 3-4 fan, fullscreen combos; but I also can see where that'd be just a teensy bit frustrating in MK11.
I literally don't understand why Upwards fan toss is an ability outside her "tournament" variations. It would fit fanfare so well and make flashy combos as you said possible.

Ive put over 200 hours exclusively into Fanfare Kitana. Im not the best player in the world, and it takes me a while to adapt, but the thing that I have encountered the most, and find most frustrating with her is that theres no reason to not jump on wakeup when she knocks you down, or if you clip someone with a fan. If they fall by a fan, you have basically no other options to hit your opponent without being full combo punished outside of throwing another fan, or, walk up d1. So basically you have to throw fans at midscreen and give up your turn. Its so weird to me because in the previous games, if someone got clipped by a fan they got full combo punished. It would be nice to get that, even if we had to burn a bar for it or something.

BlissfulMedusa

Modern Woefare
Kitana has been neutered in this game. It is what it is. She’s an awkward space control/zoner/rushdown character without the proper tools to do any of them well lol

I truly do miss the zoning, whiff punishing, combo queen she was in past MK games. It’s sad that someone who once ruled the air now has to be constantly afraid of people jumping.

John_NX

Kitana has been neutered in this game. It is what it is. She’s an awkward space control/zoner/rushdown character without the proper tools to do any of them well lol

I truly do miss the zoning, whiff punishing, combo queen she was in past MK games. It’s sad that someone who once ruled the air now has to be constantly afraid of people jumping.
Kabal is essentially what kitana should be. A good zoning, footsie, stagger character without dial ins

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Well, whoever wrote "It's just a matter of time before Kitana players start complaining again" in his or her profile was certainly not wrong. LOL.

Kitana has been neutered in this game. It is what it is. She’s an awkward space control/zoner/rushdown character without the proper tools to do any of them well lol.
As I have discussed many times before, Highborn has all of those tools with fan, aerial fan, dive kick, and razors.

As far as jumping is concerned, I would argue that Kitana has one of the best set of anti-aerial tools in the game.

If they fall by a fan, you have basically no other options to hit your opponent without being full combo punished outside of throwing another fan, or, walk up d1.
In Highborn, you can do meaty sai after a mid range AA ground or aerial fan in order to set up okizeme.

Well, whoever wrote "It's just a matter of time before Kitana players start complaining again" in his or her profile was certainly not wrong. LOL.

As I have discussed many times before, Highborn has all of those tools with fan, aerial fan, dive kick, and razors.

As far as jumping is concerned, I would argue that Kitana has one of the best set of anti-aerial tools in the game.

In Highborn, you can do meaty sai after a mid range AA ground or aerial fan in order to set up okizeme.
Yeah, Im talking specifically Fanfare. I have never played Highborn. I agree that Highborn is better. Im just not used to having no float or air lift.

Edit: Maybe I should just bite the bullet and switch over already. Its pretty much a sunk cost at this point.

John_NX

Kitana players, at least not those who don't know anything, ask buffs for a reason. I guarantee you, that we'll never see kitana in any top 8 or top 16, and even if we do, it'll be just for one match in particular. Why? Because she isn't as good as other characters. She CAN beat them, but she isn't as good or on the same level, thus requiring the kitana player to outplay the opponent". Where are the kitana players after the "god like buffs"? I barely see any, if there are some. What I'm trying to say is that, she received very good variation buffs but no actual fixes to her frame data, to get her to a perfect competitive state.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Yeah, Im talking specifically Fanfare. I have never played Highborn. I agree that Highborn is better. Im just not used to having no float or air lift.
I think Fan-Fare could be a little better or at least represent Kitana's identify a little better according to the manner in which she plays Mortal Kombat 9 and Mortal Kombat X. So your argument is fair, but lots of other people are requesting unrealistic buffs such as long combos and guaranteed follow ups after AA fan at any range. Kitana players ought to accept the game that they are currently playing.

By the way, float and lift are nothing special while razors fix many holes in Kitana's gameplay such as the ability to cancel every string into a safe special move, canceling b+2 into razors to avoid getting punished for connecting b+2 on jumping opponents, using razors as a meaty attack, and so on.

BlissfulMedusa

Modern Woefare

I’m aware of what you’ve said. In regards to jumping, I’d take Cassie’s standing 1 over Kitana’s d3 to AA any day. A full combo as opposed to what... string into stab or fan?

Highborn DOES have all the tools, but it is Kitana‘s base kit that needs adjusting. Hence, why we still do not see her in tournament play (and please, I’m not counting Semij using her to try and steal a round and failing or a random pick from anyone else that amounted to nothing).

It’s not complaining. It’s just being realistic. Kitana is a middle of the road character.

And while I’m moderately new here, I have noticed that you tend to speak on the game as though you’re some sort of authority. Who exactly are you to state your opinions as if they are fact? I’d love to see any tournament matches you’ve played against the current top players to support your statements. Maybe we’d all learn something.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Highborn DOES have all the tools, but it is Kitana‘s base kit that needs adjusting. Hence, why we still do not see her in tournament play (and please, I’m not counting Semij using her to try and steal a round and failing or a random pick from anyone else that amounted to nothing).
You ask a very good question to which I have no answer. However, you can make the exact same argument about other characters too. High level players consistently place Noob and Shang Tsung in the top 10, but where are these characters in the most recent online tournaments?

Kitana gets a anti air full combo punish off of d3 in FF... BUT no one cares. I've played enough KL games to know that no one cares about that anti-air. Its mostly because, even after you land that Krushing Blow combo, they know all your other strings will clip and they can punish you again. After all, they took you off the Krushing blow and you aren't going to do it again, so, why do they care?

I get your point Dave, in slowing down the game and not getting full combos from basically everywhere, but I don't quite understand the fan not being able to combo, because isnt fannado in fearless free? Maybe I'm missing something. We already get air fan to combo from midscreen so why not have regular fan combo when you burn a bar on hit?

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I am SO sick of Kitana players complaining about B231 whiffing if the opponent jumps.

IT IS NOT YOUR MEATY!!! YOU USE IT WHEN YOU SEE THE OPPONENT WHIFF OR YOU LAND A JUMP IN.

B14 is what you use, and once they start realizing they can't just jump on wakeup, you use B131.

In fact, every single Kitana player should use the hell out of B131 because if they don't flawless block, you are essentially resetting neutral in a range where NO character can touch you, and where Kitana wants to be.

If they flawless block? Then don't complete the string, cover the gap with fan toss, Jump in, start zoning with fans, dash up grab, dash up/ jump into b13 again, there are so many options.

Lastly, please practice flawless blocking your opponent's normals when you are negative. News flash: Kitana now has the fastest U2 in the game now.

I am SO sick of Kitana players complaining about B231 whiffing if the opponent jumps.

IT IS NOT YOUR MEATY!!! YOU USE IT WHEN YOU SEE THE OPPONENT WHIFF OR YOU LAND A JUMP IN.

B14 is what you use, and once they start realizing they can't just jump on wakeup, you use B131.

In fact, every single Kitana player should use the hell out of B131 because if they don't flawless block, you are essentially resetting neutral in a range where NO character can touch you, and where Kitana wants to be.

If they flawless block? Then don't complete the string, cover the gap with fan toss, Jump in, start zoning with fans, dash up grab, dash up/ jump into b13 again, there are so many options.

Lastly, please practice flawless blocking your opponent's normals when you are negative. News flash: Kitana now has the fastest U2 in the game now.
In my experience so far, B142 also whiffs on jumping opponents.

John_NX

Good points! But I don't agree with B231. It's one of the two advancing mids kitana has and the one with the longest range. I get your point about not using it as a meaty, but that isn't the problem. The problem is that it's a DIAL-IN. Every character mid advancing string can get punished by just jumping, but at least they have the option not or to complete the string. Only kitana has this issue and I don't understand why. At least let us get a B23 as a string, make it death on block, but let it be used for situations like these.