What's new

Kitana General Discussion

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Guys, I'm planning to make a video about kitanas current state and upload it to YT soon. Should I or am I gonna get trolled and dragged for basically speaking the truth? I'd like to talk about the general "state" of kitana, the buffs "controversy", the variations and the changes I'd like to see.
You do you, honeyboo. Everyone dropping stupid comments about "pages of Kitana buffs" don't actually understand the depths to which she was genuine useless garbage on release. Not to mention even REO made a video after ALL of Kitana's buffs noting how Fan-fare is pointless with no identity and "the weakest out of the three."

You do you, honeyboo. Everyone dropping stupid comments about "pages of Kitana buffs" don't actually understand the depths to which she was genuine useless garbage on release. Not to mention even REO made a video after ALL of Kitana's buffs noting how Fan-fare is pointless with no identity and "the weakest out of the three."
Lol her fans were minus on hit hahahahaha

I honestly dropped the game a month or two after launch because I couldn’t find a character to main.

I had my heart set on Kitana but not only was she in a pretty bad spot, it was an extra long fall compared to her X self (who I had been playing up until launch). There were then about 10 secondaries that seemed good and fun but couldn’t make up my mind so I played some other game where I could.

Came back for Aftermath and happy FF got that armor break (and some other QOL improvements along the way with fans, lift, etc) and I’ve been having a great time since... It also took some time to realize 11 was a vastly different game, which in some ways, I do prefer.

Anyways, I feel like I can compete at least with FF. I’ll eventually learn a Highborn counterpick, but I’d rather struggle a bit in FF for now - it’ll do me some good.

Last edited:
I honestly dropped the game a month or two after launch because I couldn’t find a character to main.

I had my heart set on Kitana but not only was she in a pretty bad spot, it was an extra long fall compared to her X self (who I had been playing up until launch). There were then about 10 secondaries that seemed good and fun but couldn’t make up my mind so I played some other game where I could.

Came back for Aftermath and happy FF got that armor break and I’ve been having a great time since... It also took some time to realize 11 was a vastly different game, which in some ways, I do prefer.

Anyways, I feel like I can compete at least with FF. I’ll eventually learn a Highborn counterpick, but I’d rather struggle a bit in FF for now - it’ll do me some good.
Yeah i started liking this game when i realized three things:
  1. You should NEVER go for your regular bnb if they have two defensive bars. Go for one where when they break you cannot get punished at all. Then when their defensive bars are gone, go for the actual optimal bnb.
  2. d1 throw is fine with certain characters where you get nothing or d1 into d4.
  3. Never meaty if you cant read their wakeups. Shimmy on wakeups instead. Or throw a projectile
That makes this game not play like any MK game Ive ever heard. It makes it play like MK11. And if you play it any other way or like previous NRS games you wont enjoy the game.

Btw, I have a question for high level players. Why do we ask for advancing or fast mid strings? Don't advancing low strings do the same thing on principle? Im looking at sub zero that has caught me out of the air with his low starter. Why are mids better? Much appreciated if someone can answer that.

Last edited:
You should NEVER go for your regular bnb if they have two defensive bars. Go for one where when they break you cannot get punished at all. Then when their defensive bars are gone, go for the actual optimal bnb.
In FF, after lift, if they have two bars, I’ll do F2 xx BF3. If they breakaway after the F2, they get that slow-mo ass in their face.

If they don’t, I’ll amplify and at least get decent oki

Zviko

Noob
Guys, I'm planning to make a video about kitanas current state and upload it to YT soon. Should I or am I gonna get trolled and dragged for basically speaking the truth? I'd like to talk about the general "state" of kitana, the buffs "controversy", the variations and the changes I'd like to see.
At the end of the day, it's your opinion. If you want to share it, then share it. If people disrespect it, fuck them, ignore them, ass KB them.

In FF, after lift, if they have two bars, I’ll do F2 xx BF3. If they breakaway after the F2, they get that slow-mo ass in their face.

If they don’t, I’ll amplify and at least get decent oki
Just letting you know, they can breakaway any enhanced square wave in the air on reaction and full combo punish. I know some people might tell me that that rarely happens, but Ive had several players do it to me so I don't think its worth the risk IMO.

Just letting you know, they can breakaway any enhanced square wave in the air on reaction and full combo punish. I know some people might tell me that that rarely happens, but Ive had several players do it to me so I don't think its worth the risk IMO.
So do you ever amplify Square Wave then?

I have seen what you’re talking about and figured I was negative if they brokeout after the first hit. I didn’t realize it was that bad though

Last edited:
So do you ever amplify Square Wave then?

I have seen what you’re talking about and figured I was negative if they brokeout after the first hit. I didn’t realize it was that bad though
You can amplify it on a standing opponent or when they have less than two bars of defensive meter. FF Kitana requires you look at your opponents bar constantly to be playable. In my experience, the matchups usually come down to reads based off of how much meter your opponent has and how aggressive they are trying to get out of her b2 and b1 mid.

Last edited:
You can amplify it on a standing opponent or when they have less than two bars of defensive meter. FF Kitana requires you look at your opponents bar constantly to be playable. In my experience, the matchups usually come down to reads based off of how much meter your opponent has and how aggressive they are trying to get out of her b2 and b1 mid.
I just labbed this and under the scenario I setup, I was -13 if they broke-away after my normal square wave and I amplified it.

I’m sure it would vary on how high the opponent is when they broke-away and when, but yeah, very punishable, lol

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I just labbed this and under the scenario I setup, I was -13 if they broke-away after my normal square wave and I amplified it.

I’m sure it would vary on how high the opponent is when they broke-away and when, but yeah, very punishable, lol
It’s absolutely ridiculous that you can break away from enhanced ass. A year later. Can you break away from Cassie’s enhanced up kick? Jade’s glow kick? (I honestly don’t know and am curious lol)

It’s absolutely ridiculous that you can break away from enhanced ass. A year later. Can you break away from Cassie’s enhanced up kick? Jade’s glow kick? (I honestly don’t know and am curious lol)
i just tested it and you can breakaway from both but because of the way the amp hits (directly behind for Jade and downward for Cassie) and how fast it is you still eat the damage and they are not at any sort of disadvantage.

Hello all again. I was watching Tom Bradys video on punishing Cetrions teleport and I noticed Kitana doesn't have a fast enough jab to recover from far teleport geyser (1,2 is 30 frames). Is there any way to properly punish both teleport's both far and close without being punished by far teleport geyser? Or do I have to just straight up guess/ d1?

Thank you for your replies.

Stanlos

Noob
I am not sure if it is okay to ask this here but is Serbian Blue skin and the Handmaid of Delia bugged or something? It says to find them in the Krypt but I have opened all chests three times now and I can't find them

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I am not sure if it is okay to ask this here but is Serbian Blue skin and the Handmaid of Delia bugged or something? It says to find them in the Krypt but I have opened all chests three times now and I can't find them
Its a krypt event.

I am trying to perfect my execution and I need help with something. Sometimes when im doing b2 i try to d1 on reversal which is a full combo punish when they jump. Why does some times the d1 not come out and Kitana just crouches? Im hitting d first and then inputting 1. So shouldn't her 1 come out no matter what? Heres a video.

As you can see, sometimes the 1 doesnt come out even though its clear I input it in the window.
Its a brand new controller. I want to get this input down. I think its a operator error.

Last edited:
Any tips on how to beat people that just block whenever you’re near, know all of your string mixups, and can seemingly D2 you everytime you go for a throw? I had a couple of these opponents last night, but one in particularly that i’m sure only d2’d on reaction, because if I’d walk up (as if to throw) but then duck (to allow their d2 to whiff) they’d just continue to block.

I suppose i could cause chip and wait for them to come to me? Not sure what else to try to do, and i did try mixing up my throws (doing it after single buttons, mid-string, etc).

FF player, fwiw

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
Any tips on how to beat people that just block whenever you’re near, know all of your string mixups, and can seemingly D2 you everytime you go for a throw? I had a couple of these opponents last night, but one in particularly that i’m sure only d2’d on reaction, because if I’d walk up (as if to throw) but then duck (to allow their d2 to whiff) they’d just continue to block.

I suppose i could cause chip and wait for them to come to me? Not sure what else to try to do, and i did try mixing up my throws (doing it after single buttons, mid-string, etc).

FF player, fwiw
Honestly, you gotta play very very smart. Zone them more, outspace them, have your flawless blocks ready after your negative strings and lastly hope it's a 5-5 MU. Generally though kitana on a high level sucks :(.

Honestly, you gotta play very very smart. Zone them more, outspace them, have your flawless blocks ready after your negative strings and lastly hope it's a 5-5 MU. Generally though kitana on a high level sucks :(.
Thanks! I appreciate that. I’m not even high level and have messed with flawless blocks yet... I suppose I should get on that, lol.