What's new

Strategy Kitana General discussion

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I am almost positive that the new tech is 11 pressure.

* You can hit confirm to cutter.
* You can continue to 112 or 112~cutter
* You can do 11, then mixup with 112~cutter or throw or 11 again
* You can do 11, then 212 or 21~cutter

This all works when you train them to be afraid to let go of block after 11. You build shitloads of meter with all of this.

On certain characters like Ermac (I'm guessing big crouching hitbox characters), you can do 11, then jump over and get a jps combo if they try to d1 or d3 you. The spacing is perfect for this. Don't try this on Kung Lao or other small hitbox or great anti air characters.

Facts to note: Cutter does not combo after 112, it does after 11, but you get meter on blocked cutter.

Can someone please test if 112~cutter jails after a jps?

* You can hit confirm to cutter.
* You can continue to 112 or 112~cutter
* You can do 11, then mixup with 112~cutter or throw or 11 again
* You can do 11, then 212 or 21~cutter

This all works when you train them to be afraid to let go of block after 11. You build shitloads of meter with all of this.

On certain characters like Ermac (I'm guessing big crouching hitbox characters), you can do 11, then jump over and get a jps combo if they try to d1 or d3 you. The spacing is perfect for this. Don't try this on Kung Lao or other small hitbox or great anti air characters.

Facts to note: Cutter does not combo after 112, it does after 11, but you get meter on blocked cutter.

Can someone please test if 112~cutter jails after a jps?

112, Ex cutter.

Also, 3,3 dash in 1,12, cutter etc.

but they can punish it though.

Flagg

Noob
I'm just curious, is this Top Secret tech going to make her top tier, or broken? Because if it's the latter, wont that just be patched out at some point?

shura30

Shura
don't think so
because 11 is one of the first string you try while in the lab

it should be some kind of new setup or reset
i don't underestimate meter too
with the mayo quanchi stuff we should expect strategies to be improved in that way a lot more in the future

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I'm just curious, is this Top Secret tech going to make her top tier, or broken? Because if it's the latter, wont that just be patched out at some point?
It for sure doesn't make her broken. This tech got blown way out of proportion on this site, lol.

Altaire

Noob
I don't actually know what the new tech is and this is the most shameless of shameless self-promotion, but here:

In my interview with CD Sr for this match, he said he was actually using it here, but that you can't really tell what it is unless you know about it already. I know it's supposed to do 49% with a chance to do another 49%, but I'm not really sure what it is. From what they told me in both interviews, it has something to do with some hit confirmable string that has a deceptively large hitbox, so that's something to go on.

Well, have at it. I'm far from an expert on Kitana, so maybe someone like 16 Bit or Konqrr can figure out what it is from this video.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
It's most likely just max range 2,1 hit confirm into cutter, lift or EX fan.

Phantom

Kitana Prime aka MK's Rated R Superstar
It's most likely just max range 2,1 hit confirm into cutter, lift or EX fan.
I hope not. Been doing that online since day 1.

This 49% with a chance for another 49% stuff that Altaire is talking seems more like something that would be 'top-secret'.

Anyway, I'm just holding out until its revealed. To hype it up and be letdown would be horrible.

Altaire

Noob
I hope not. Been doing that online since day 1.

This 49% with a chance for another 49% stuff that Altaire is talking seems more like something that would be 'top-secret'.

Anyway, I'm just holding out until its revealed. To hype it up and be letdown would be horrible.
I'm only going by what was said in the interview.

You'll have to sift through twenty or so minutes of us shooting the shit, but he talks about the new tech at several points.

Phantom

I'm only going by what was said in the interview.

You'll have to sift through twenty or so minutes of us shooting the shit, but he talks about the new tech at several points.
Yeah, I watched (uhh...listened) to that with the rest of MM4 and don't know how I missed that part, probably wasn't paying full attention. Going back to watch the match now.

Phantom

Ok watched MM4 CD vs CDJr again. If CD claims to be using this tech in the match there I can only see 3 things that most (and I use that loosely) Kitana players don't normally do.

- 112 Cutter. Check Konqrr's post - BUT CD has been doing this ever since I've been watching his matches at VSM or wherever else.
- Anti-air standing 3 -> Whatever. Fairly uncommon among Kitana players even though I'm sure ALL of us known it's possible/practical if you get it down.

Finally and what I think it may be (but he didn't actually complete it) is to pay attention to the combo he starts at the 7:35 mark. Standard 2,1, EX Fan into BnB for 50%+ with the initial JIP. In that combo, after 4~fan, you would regularly/normally go with any variant of 2, 3 or 4 into lift and continue the combo from there. However, CD went straight into b2 and whiffed it.

It seems that only one of 2 things happened here:

1. He went for 2~lift and simply buffed the b,b2 too early (naturally or input bug, doesn't really matter)
2. b2 -> whatever he was to do next would end in some kind of reset/mixup situation and the current combo would've finished right around 48% anyway, matching up with the number that CD threw around into the interview.

....Or we're being trolled.

I don't actually know what the new tech is and this is the most shameless of shameless self-promotion, but here:

In my interview with CD Sr for this match, he said he was actually using it here, but that you can't really tell what it is unless you know about it already. I know it's supposed to do 49% with a chance to do another 49%, but I'm not really sure what it is. From what they told me in both interviews, it has something to do with some hit confirmable string that has a deceptively large hitbox, so that's something to go on.

Well, have at it. I'm far from an expert on Kitana, so maybe someone like 16 Bit or Konqrr can figure out what it is from this video.
7:35
he dropped the combo on accident i think, b2, air fan shoulda connected, followed by a ground fan.
Now, remember my "ghetto reset" at Devastation I showcased.
That's the only thing that makes sense with that statement.

CD had him at the corner, and when you whiff the ground fan, f+4,1 is a possible reset (opponents roll out of it midscreen, and really works better at the corner, but they can wake up out of it,) but that's the only thing I can relate to this.

I think the secret is her 2,1, it's got a crazy hitbox, speed, and length, and 2,1,2 is safe on block which has great rush in distance (allows you to move in)

i think its some of those.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
2,1 fits all clues. Except that it isn't "new tech" so much as him using it at max range like that is a different application that we usually see. It's totally 2,1.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Man, I was playing sets with CD All day. And I could totally believe it was 2,1. That thing has DECEPTIVE RANGE. Also, it was killing all of my wakeups. We were playing online tho, so it's hard to say, but that string was giving me ALL KINDS of hell.

CD jr

Noob
Is something so simple.the thing is that no one uses it like cd does and no one knows how good and fucked up it is.hope you guys are not disappointed when you learn what it is.im thinking about making a jax tutorial video,I might show what it is if crazy let's me cause really people are going crazy over something so simple

Is something so simple.the thing is that no one uses it like cd does and no one knows how good and fucked up it is.hope you guys are not disappointed when you learn what it is.im thinking about making a jax tutorial video,I might show what it is if crazy let's me cause really people are going crazy over something so simple
lol, this made me even more anxious :(

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
It's not 2,1. Are you guys fucking stupid? Tom Brady's known and shown this tech WAY before CD even knew about it. It's random xray.