What's new

Strategy - Kitana Kitana General Discussion/Strategies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Yea shes not a mix up character. Shes a zoner that can punish unsafe moves really hard.

Good question! I want to know how people are maximizing iAF confirms aswell.

if I hit iAF and catch them in the air I have being going Ground fan after, and from anywhere on the screen you have time to run in and hit a F4 into Combo. I'm still working on damage I can get, I'm sure @Konqrr posted some in the combo thread.

It's pretty easy even from full screen.

Also if you want to spend a bar it is a good time to get a good chuck of unbreakable damage with ex fan, or I think you can use EX lift in some situations in Royal Storm, still messing around,

Riyo

Noob
This is EXACTLY why I use Royal Storm now instead of Assassin. Opening people up is too much of a pain in the ass to make Assassin viable.

Although, I have seen some people on GameFAQs suggest canceling strings into parry in Assassin, but I don't know how (un)safe that is.
Canceling into parry is very unsafe, especially characters with advancing normals. Its better to block after a block string unless they respect the string and start doing other things afterwards such as b2 or throw. I actually made the move from Royal Storm to Assassin. Damage difference is huge.

E

Eldriken

Canceling into parry is very unsafe, especially characters with advancing normals. Its better to block after a block string unless they respect the string and start doing other things afterwards such as b2 or throw. I actually made the move from Royal Storm to Assassin. Damage difference is huge.
How do you go about opening people up to actually combo them? Float baits?

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Do we have an execution-tutorial on the iAF anywhere for us noobs to learn from? (I've been trying dfbu1 and dfub1 both but no luck so far. Maybe it doesn't work on the xb1 pad?)
It just takes practice, I have been using XBOX One pad and havent had any issues,

I have Negative Edge OFF, input shortcuts on(not sure what the short cut thing does, but I left it on anyways lol)

And I just hit UDF1, just takes time, I find the Dpad pretty good on the One controller for this game actually. its the trigger buttons I don't like, so I moved Block to the RB and Interact is RTrigger, I switched the left ones as well,

Shiizu

Theory Fighter
When would you use parry? If you have a block string that is punishable by jabs, and you know the opponent is going to punish you with it, it seems like a decent counter option.

E

Eldriken

When would you use parry? If you have a block string that is punishable by jabs, and you know the opponent is going to punish you with it, it seems like a decent counter option.
It's probably unsafe because both of her parries take effing forever to become active. Rather, it seems that way.

How is the difference huge? It only seems huge to me with sharpen. And being so she has no mix ups you can't really get a combo after sharpen

Shiizu

Theory Fighter
It's probably unsafe because both of her parries take effing forever to become active. Rather, it seems that way.
Generally that would be the case, but wouldn't cancelling from a string negate a lot of the startup time on the parry?

How is the difference huge? It only seems huge to me with sharpen. And being so she has no mix ups you can't really get a combo after sharpen
I think it's mostly because of sharpen. I'm guessing there are some chances where you're guaranteed to get something off it, like using it after a lift. Also assassin impale does a lot of damage compared to the reversal options she has in RS (plus longer knockdown time means more oki setups).

E

Eldriken

Generally that would be the case, but wouldn't cancelling from a string negate a lot of the startup time on the parry?
Beats the hell out of me, to be honest. I guess there's really only one way to find out.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
It just takes practice, I have been using XBOX One pad and havent had any issues,

I have Negative Edge OFF, input shortcuts on(not sure what the short cut thing does, but I left it on anyways lol)

And I just hit UDF1, just takes time, I find the Dpad pretty good on the One controller for this game actually. its the trigger buttons I don't like, so I moved Block to the RB and Interact is RTrigger, I switched the left ones as well,
Pretty much what I did. But wait it's just a quick udf, no tiger kick input? Guess I'll do a quarter million of those then.
Blisters on my left hand GO.

QED

Noob
Pardon the chime-in from the noob but, even if she's not a mixup character, she's a mid-screen character with a viable optionselect on the b1 which in itself is a pretty fast mid.
I may not be a top player but to me it seems like her goal is to get people blocking or running away. I'm not sure how to deal with rushdown, yet.
I've yet to figure out everything that's guaranteed after d1, d3 and d4. Anybody have a full list?
What OS are you talking about post b1?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
What OS are you talking about post b1?
Win 8.1
Wait-- lol. Okay, er, B1 has a followup that hits low and one that hits mid. This keeps them honest and you can throw them. That kind of gimmicky stuff that I've been doing. Probably low level things though, not sure.

Riyo

Noob
How do you go about opening people up to actually combo them? Float baits?
I personally started to use Assassin. Float is usually good when jumping in a range that their d2 would connect. With Royal Storm, all about using fan throws and having them inch their way towards you. When you start noticing that they are ducking and in mid range, square boost will most of the time catch them off guard.

Its matchup knowledge really. If they can punish your 111/111+fan throw, try to mix up with 11 grab, b14, f22. I usually throw a fan then parry in mid range if I know they would advance. Parry works well if they have a teleport punch so its a mindgame within your fan throw game.

TBH, I feel that Kitana is best played long range with very good damage when you do open them up with a combo. Sharpen after a knockdown and make them hold fans for 6 seconds. Kitana building meter while they aren't is a pretty huge plus if you ask me.

E

Eldriken

I personally started to use Assassin. Float is usually good when jumping in a range that their d2 would connect. With Royal Storm, all about using fan throws and having them inch their way towards you. When you start noticing that they are ducking and in mid range, square boost will most of the time catch them off guard.

Its matchup knowledge really. If they can punish your 111/111+fan throw, try to mix up with 11 grab, b14, f22. I usually throw a fan then parry in mid range if I know they would advance. Parry works well if they have a teleport punch so its a mindgame within your fan throw game.

TBH, I feel that Kitana is best played long range with very good damage when you do open them up with a combo. Sharpen after a knockdown and make them hold fans for 6 seconds. Kitana building meter while they aren't is a pretty huge plus if you ask me.
You know, that is true. I can just use Sharpen from full screen and chuck fans. Extra damage (and chip damage) while building meter? Guess it's back to Assassin for me, lol. Well, I'll work with them both, to be honest. I suppose it will depend on the MU.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Just walk into a Bar, and buy her a drink...then another one and You should be able to get in after 3-4th one ;D

Now seriously, I think she is better played as zoner - more effective but at this point its pure speculation from what i've seen.

Riyo

Noob
You know, that is true. I can just use Sharpen from full screen and chuck fans. Extra damage (and chip damage) while building meter? Guess it's back to Assassin for me, lol. Well, I'll work with them both, to be honest. I suppose it will depend on the MU.
Whiff punishing with db3 with sharpen is the best feeling.

QED

Noob
That's not an option select =_=

I got excited thinking you were buffering like Fan-nado on whiff to catch jumpers or backdashes, but get the 4 follow up on contact or something. Probably not possible under the MKX system.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
That's not an option select =_=

I got excited thinking you were buffering like Fan-nado on whiff to catch jumpers or backdashes, but get the 4 follow up on contact or something. Probably not possible under the MKX system.
Wrong term, sorry! Still you can pick between scenarios and keep them guessing what's coming.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Anyone know how to unlock her Klassic costume and the one with the ??? beside it in her Character thing when you view it in the Krypt?

I'm guessing they are all just in the krypt, but you never know.

Just realized I posted this in the wrong thread lol

Last edited:

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Anyone know how to unlock her Klassic costume and the one with the ??? beside it in her Character thing when you view it in the Krypt?

I'm guessing they are all just in the krypt, but you never know.

Just realized I posted this in the wrong thread lol
you get the klassic costume by leveling up one character to level 40 on the mobile version.

Guys pick royal storm, get full screen and throw 500,000 million fans and when they try to approach slice their throats and smack them with your ass.
Use the uplift to punish and then use her full combos damage!!

stop trying to play rush down with kitana!!

Shiizu

Theory Fighter
meter-burn db3 is also useful against block strings that can be interrupted, like Liu Kang's 113 (I think that's it... the string with two jabs into overhead kick).

Status
Not open for further replies.