What's new

Kim Jong Il Is No More.

Reedoms

Noob
with the exception that terrorist are actually a threat to innocent lives and communist for the most part weren't
Communist Russia took over half of Europe back in the 50's. There were drills in the event of nuclear fallout in the states from the communist countries. Shit, most dictatorships today are communistic, North Korea for instance.

They are dangerous, they just don't go out of their way to fuck with people like the terrorists in the middle-east do.

Havatchu

Noob
It's gonna be the 50's all over again...
I was just getting to that actually.

http://www.santarosa.edu/~maparicio/red_scare/schrecker.html

Makes for an interesting read in light of the conversation and the current international circumstances.

Full work in the link. I'll just quote the part that stuck out to me most.

"Perhaps because of the violence perpetrated by Al Qaeda, today's crackdown seems more extreme than those of the past. There is a blatantly brutal quality to the current antiterrorist campaign that makes the McCarthy era seem positively genteel.When an INS official urged one of his colleagues not to "abandon the Constitution in this crisis," the colleague replied, “Fuck the Constitution!”Or as another official explained, "If you don't violate someone's human rights some of the time, you probably aren't doing your job." And these abuses are far from theoretical, as the Department of Justice's own inspector general admitted in describing the mental and physical mistreatment of the INS's prisoners, while the detention of the Guantanamo captives defies international law as well as the Constitution."

Also, can the posters who mentioned Il's children being cannibals and rapists back those statements up with links or something? Not really in the mood to creepily type that in my search engine at midnight. That's if their probable propaganda machine has any truth to it; the Koreans I mean, not the posters.

Communist Russia took over half of Europe back in the 50's. There were drills in the event of nuclear fallout in the states from the communist countries. Shit, most dictatorships today are communistic, North Korea for instance.

They are dangerous, they just don't go out of their way to fuck with people like the terrorists in the middle-east do.
The context I was using was 1950's communist scare in America. There was no real major threat to American lives in America ever by communist. Of course there were brutal communist regime, leaders or individuals but those people did not threaten American lives to justify the red scare.

Sasuga

Noob
I find that pretty weird. He's directly responsible for the torture and deaths of many North Koreans. If I could spit on his grave I would.
In one way I can completely imagine that people would wanted to see him dead and are now happy that he is. I can also imagine people not wanting to give in to the human aspect that caused all the suffering in the first place. But it's only that latter that I respect.

The context I was using was 1950's communist scare in America. There was no real major threat to American lives in America ever by communist. Of course there were brutal communist regime, leaders or individuals but those people did not threaten American lives to justify the red scare.
The Soviet block as a whole was a military match for NATO and the rest of the European powers combined. Factor in China and NK (back when they weren't in the stone age) and they were a match for our allies in Asia as well. To top it all off, the Russians were actually able to compete with us in intelligence gathering, submarine design, weapons design, aircraft design, space exploration, computer science, and nuclear design. The Russians did put nuclear missiles in Cuba, and Kruschev did threaten to destroy the US (pounding his shoe on the podium and all).

The Islamic nations and groups we have a problem with now are granted, far crazier and far more violent in what they seek on a daily basis. They are also completely willing to die themselves in order to get their goals. And a few of them do want a global Islamic Caliphate. I'd say they are a threat. But on the other hand they are pretty laughable when it comes to their actual military and their ability to design weapons and the sciences.

The Soviets were evil geniuses. The enemies now are bat shit crazy but they aren't exactly all that bright.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
The problem is both bills (protect IP and the arrest terrorists one) have already "unanimously passed through the house and the senate". The only saving grace is that Obama threatened to veto the National Defense one but nothing has been said of the internet one. One way or another, things might be changing, and I fear for the worst.

The Soviet block as a whole was a military match for NATO and the rest of the European powers combined. Factor in China and NK (back when they weren't in the stone age) and they were a match for our allies in Asia as well. To top it all off, the Russians were actually able to compete with us in intelligence gathering, submarine design, weapons design, aircraft design, space exploration, computer science, and nuclear design. The Russians did put nuclear missiles in Cuba, and Kruschev did threaten to destroy the US (pounding his shoe on the podium and all).

The Islamic nations and groups we have a problem with now are granted, far crazier and far more violent in what they seek on a daily basis. They are also completely willing to die themselves in order to get their goals. And a few of them do want a global Islamic Caliphate. I'd say they are a threat. But on the other hand they are pretty laughable when it comes to their actual military and their ability to design weapons and the sciences.

The Soviets were evil geniuses. The enemies now are bat shit crazy but they aren't exactly all that bright.
No need for a history lesson, I am a history major.

The context was communist in America, not foreign communist. There hasn't been a real threat America faced internally from communist or the communist party.

Lastly the Soviet Union were rarely a true threat to American citizens, most of it was perceived threats. Your example of of the Cuban Missile Crisis is pretty bias. For instance

1) Khrushchev contemplated why couldn't the Soviet puts nuclear weapons in Cuba, when the U.S did the same in Italy and in Turkey. It was only fair after all.

2) It was a form of brinkmanship, a political tool that both the U.S and the Soviets employed often to get a better ground.

3) The nuke was used as a deterrent of U.S aggression in Cuba. Take note the Bay of Pigs, Operation Mongoose and Operation Ortsac. Ironically Castro was not a communist and hated both the Soviets and the U.S for what he viewed as colonial imperialist powers, but had to choose the Soviets due to U.S hostilities. This point is further proven as one of the result of the crisis, that the U.S pledge to never invade Cuba.

Overall there is plenty of sources that shows that the Soviets had no intention of starting war or direct confrontation with the U.S especially after the Cuban Missile Crisis. You can see this in the way Stalin tippy-toed diplomatic matters, the way Khrushchev handled the crisis and detente, detente and how Brezhnev had several meetings with Nixon to discuss co-existence.

If anything it was China that was the aggressor to the U.S up until Nixon's diplomatic visit to China. Because Mao did not care about nuclear war because he said there were millions of Chinese to replace them.

In the case of the Middle East, that whole problem is largely centered around Isreal. And because of that, there will forever be conflict and hatred.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I don't know the story behind this man, as this is the first I've ever heard of him, but regardless...R.I.P.
Unless you are 10 or younger, this post has to be a troll post. I'm sorry, but if you've never heard of Kim Jong Il, you obviously are apart of the under a rock living society.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Another child left behind in the education system...
Unless you are 10 or younger, this post has to be a troll post. I'm sorry, but if you've never heard of Kim Jong Il, you obviously are apart of the under a rock living society.
What's up with the rudeness from the both of you? I can't be expected to keep tabs on everything that happens in life, neither can anyone else. The insults weren't necessary.

I may as well not bother next time...

What's up with the rudeness from the both of you? I can't be expected to keep tabs on everything that happens in life, neither can anyone else. The insults weren't necessary.

The issue is that North Korea and Kim Jong Il have been one of the biggest global problems in the world, probably for the entire lifespan of everybody on this board. It's also not like he hasn't made news repeatedly for death camps, sinking subs, bombing islands, kidnappings, detonating nuclear bombs, shooting off ICMBs for no reason (that never seem to land where he was aiming but that's another matter) and the general insanity that goes on there.

So unless you go out of your way to avoid knowing anything about the world outside of the US, it's pretty hard not to know who he is.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter

Lighten up bro, we both were obviously just joking. Sheesh.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
I haven't read all posts in this thread but one less douche in the world is a major plus. I did see that video of everyone crying and my god that's so fucking creepy.

Now we have to deal with a younger douche bag.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Hitoshura

Head Cage
[MENTION=5255]Reedoms[/MENTION]

bill went through senate. Obama decided not to vito the bill. Its gonna get signed. Look at the link soa posted. Were all fucked....the end

B W1zZ

Noob
Yay now Kim Jong Il's son will control the masses of North Korea, get a big head and start WW3.

Or he faked his death to get his people upset and pissed off as a part of his grand master plan to take over the world.