What's new

Match-Up Disussion - Boneshaper KHTC Jink's Boneshaper Match-Up Discussion

Unforgivxble

Don status KHAOTIC Jink
Yo, so as a shinny main I think the most important thing for shinnok is knowing your match ups. I'm posting this because I've noticed a lot of people are having a really hard time with shinnok and they don't necessarily know how to fight him. (This will be boneshaper only for now, I'll do imposter another time)
I'll also be excluding all kp2 characters because I have yet to fight any good aliens (thank god) triborgs, lf's or brc's.
If you disagree tell me why and I'll put my reasoning. I'm not perfect so I'll probably be wrong on a few.

Character : Number :

Jacqui - I think this mu is hands down 6-4 no matter the variation for Jacqui. Her pokes are shit and her lack of a quick advancing string really hurts her. Most of the time I find myself doing down 4 all the time and even on block still going into f4 because she literally can't poke back (not to say she can't get out of it, it's just a pain for her) boneshaper also out zones her. I can make us trade if need be and my projectile is more plus on hit, she also has a hard time dealing with f41 staggers.

Kung Jin - 5-5 not much needs to be said here, they both can kind of zone each other if one of them has a health lead but generally the fight is up close. Kung Jin has the dive kick to exploit shinnoks bad recovery on hell sparks or amulet blast, but boneshaper has ex scoop to punish the chakram.

Liu Kang - 5-5 not much needs to be said, neither can really zone because he has a low profiling fireball but they have to be weary of scoop. Shinnok can usually keep Liu Kang from getting in Liu's optimal range with d4 and hell sparks.

Takeda - 5-5 again, not much needs to be said Takeda controls that 3/4th screen distance but he has to hold hell sparks and scoop is a good punisher for plus Kunai. He does have an easy time baiting wakeups tho vs scoop with a d3 check on a hkd due to scoops slow-ish startup.

Quan Chi - 5-5 (In boneshaper remember)
This is 5-5 mainly because we both have 50 50s, he just has hard to blockables and maybe better zoning, but he has to hold all of shinnoks pressure and some of his gimmicks.

Jax - 5-5 Jax isn't particularly hard for Shinnok and Jax doesn't have a hard time getting in either. They both have good footise tools and good pressure.

Dvorah - 5-5 again, ex scoop really keeps dvorah from not doing any puddle gimmicks and she does get out zoned but once she gets in its no different then getting in on any other character. Couldn't think of too much to say on this mu.

Sub Zero - 4-6 I can see how some think this could possibly be 5-5 due to hell sparks but they end up being pretty useless and can get you punished. My projectile is also pretty useless in this mu because it's bad recovery and subs slide and good jump in. It's pretty hard to get out of the corner but I'd imagine it's no different for any other character. I could maybe argue for 5-5 but I just feel half of my tools are useless in this mu. You should probably go imposter imo.

Scorpion - 5-5 Shinnok has an easy time dealing with hell fire pressure and keep away, and dealing with ninjutsu isn't a hard task. I can hell sparks before he back 2s but he can back 2 before hellsparks.

Cassie Cage - 6-4 Cassie has a pretty hard time getting in vs boneshaper and she doesn't have too easy of a punish on hellsparks, she also has a hard time dealing with shinnoks d4 once she gets in.

Ferra Torr - 5-5 not too hard for shinnok nor is it for ft. Ft gets out zoned for the most part and he doesn't have many tools to get around hell sparks once he's in that range, but I think he has better pressure than shinnok since he doesn't need much meter. This could be argued for a 6-4 maybe.

Raiden - 5-5 Raiden gets out zoned but has an easy time locking down shinnok in his little corner vortex. Haven't played too many good raidens so I could be wrong.

Kano - 5-5 not much to say, they both have pretty good footsie tools and where kano gets the raw damage, shinnok gets the zoning. Depends on Kano's variation to an extent.

Reptile - 5-5 maybe 6-4 I say maybe 6-4 because reptile has to
get in and generally gets out ranged by shinnoks buttons. Could be wrong here, have yet to play too many good reptiles.

Erron black - 5-5 This is even imo because although Erron gets zoned out, I have to watch out for slide and gunslinger can sometimes gimmick shinnok out from full screen with grenade into stance 4 and stuff like that.

Kung Lao - 5-5 Lao gets out zoned and isn't teleporting due to shinnoks d2 also ex scoop is a scary reversal for Lao to deal with. But shinnok can get really overwhelmed by Laos staggers as down 1 isn't always a good option and it's his fastest one.

Johnny Cage - 6-4 Johnny has a hard time full screen, reacting to his orbs with scoop is very easy and my projectile is just overall a better one. He also can't machine gun d4 and his floaty jump is easy to aa. It's not too hard for shinnok once he gets in either thanks to ex scoop.

Kenshi - 6-4 Kenshi's zoning can become useless once I have a bar, and he just has a worse close up game, haven't played too many Kenshi's but the match is usually completely controlled by Shinnok, could be wrong here.

Kitana - 5-5 I've played kp a few games and they both kind of go even in the zoning battle, but her float can be hard for shinnok to deal with because she can avoid hell sparks with it. This is a fuzzy one for me, could be in shinnoks favor I'd need to play this mu more to be 100 percent sure.

Ermac - 5-5 I have to fear soul ball, but ex scoop usually can punish that, but machine gunning stomp is a bit hard to deal with if I have no meter. I do win the up close game I believe with my pressure and good footsie tools. Haven't played any good mystics but I'd assume it's 5 5 as well as with spectral.

Kotal - 6-4 definitely. He gets poooooped on by boneshapers zoning and hell sparks and scoop is a great armor move to punish gaps with. Hands down 6 4.

Mileena - 5-5 this isn't hard for shinnok at all because back 12 is pretty irrelevant vs his down 4 and hell sparks, she also has to be extremely careful full screen where as I can bait a Sai then punish with ex scoop.

Alright, I believe that's everyone minus kp2 and kp1, I still have yet to play any good dlc characters after their buffs. But I'll update it eventually. I left goro out as well because I haven't fought any good ones. I think mu's decide how good a character is in this game so based off this chart alone you could probably come to the conclusion that shinnok is top tier but in no means broken. If any of you disagree tell me why and I'd be happy to give you reasons why I would think otherwise or I'll agree with you. Thanks for reading guys. Peace

- KHTC Jink

Last edited:

loogie

Noob
nice
hmmm ... scoop doesn't reach out fullscreen, in fact the reach was cut in one of the patches.. how exactly are you scooping Mileena Sais? or Johnny fireballs?

Yo, so as a shinny main I think the most important thing for shinnok is knowing your match ups. I'm posting this because I've noticed a lot of people are having a really hard time with shinnok and they don't necessarily know how to fight him. (This will be boneshaper only for now, I'll do imposter another time)
I'll also be excluding all kp2 characters because I have yet to fight any good aliens (thank god) triborgs, lf's or brc's.
If you disagree tell me why and I'll put my reasoning. I'm not perfect so I'll probably be wrong on a few.

Character : Number :

Jacqui - I think this mu is hands down 6-4 no matter the variation for Jacqui. Her pokes are shit and her lack of a quick advancing string really hurts her. Most of the time I find myself doing down 4 all the time and even on block still going into f4 because she literally can't poke back (not to say she can't get out of it, it's just a pain for her) boneshaper also out zones her. I can make us trade if need be and my projectile is more plus on hit, she also has a hard time dealing with f41 staggers.

Kung Jin - 5-5 not much needs to be said here, they both can kind of zone each other if one of them has a health lead but generally the fight is up close. Kung Jin has the dive kick to exploit shinnoks bad recovery on hell sparks or amulet blast, but boneshaper has ex scoop to punish the chakram.

Liu Kang - 5-5 not much needs to be said, neither can really zone because he has a low profiling fireball but they have to be weary of scoop. Shinnok can usually keep Liu Kang from getting in Liu's optimal range with d4 and hell sparks.

Takeda - 5-5 again, not much needs to be said Takeda controls that 3/4th screen distance but he has to hold hell sparks and scoop is a good punisher for plus Kunai. He does have an easy time baiting wakeups tho vs scoop with a d3 check on a hkd due to scoops slow-ish startup.

Quan Chi - 5-5 (In boneshaper remember)
This is 5-5 mainly because we both have 50 50s, he just has hard to blockables and maybe better zoning, but he has to hold all of shinnoks pressure and some of his gimmicks.

Jax - 5-5 Jax isn't particularly hard for Shinnok and Jax doesn't have a hard time getting in either. They both have good footise tools and good pressure.

Dvorah - 5-5 again, ex scoop really keeps dvorah from not doing any puddle gimmicks and she does get out zoned but once she gets in its no different then getting in on any other character. Couldn't think of too much to say on this mu.

Sub Zero - 4-6 I can see how some think this could possibly be 5-5 due to hell sparks but they end up being pretty useless and can get you punished. My projectile is also pretty useless in this mu because it's bad recovery and subs slide and good jump in. It's pretty hard to get out of the corner but I'd imagine it's no different for any other character. I could maybe argue for 5-5 but I just feel half of my tools are useless in this mu. You should probably go imposter imo.

Scorpion - 5-5 Shinnok has an easy time dealing with hell fire pressure and keep away, and dealing with ninjutsu isn't a hard task. I can hell sparks before he back 2s but he can back 2 before hellsparks.

Cassie Cage - 6-4 Cassie has a pretty hard time getting in vs boneshaper and she doesn't have too easy of a punish on hellsparks, she also has a hard time dealing with shinnoks d4 once she gets in.

Ferra Torr - 5-5 not too hard for shinnok nor is it for ft. Ft gets out zoned for the most part and he doesn't have many tools to get around hell sparks once he's in that range, but I think he has better pressure than shinnok since he doesn't need much meter. This could be argued for a 6-4 maybe.

Raiden - 5-5 Raiden gets out zoned but has an easy time locking down shinnok in his little corner vortex. Haven't played too many good raidens so I could be wrong.

Kano - 5-5 not much to say, they both have pretty good footsie tools and where kano gets the raw damage, shinnok gets the zoning. Depends on Kano's variation to an extent.

Reptile - 5-5 maybe 6-4 I say maybe 6-4 because reptile has to
get in and generally gets out ranged by shinnoks buttons. Could be wrong here, have yet to play too many good reptiles.

Erron black - 5-5 This is even imo because although Erron gets zoned out, I have to watch out for slide and gunslinger can sometimes gimmick shinnok out from full screen with grenade into stance 4 and stuff like that.

Kung Lao - 5-5 Lao gets out zoned and isn't teleporting due to shinnoks d2 also ex scoop is a scary reversal for Lao to deal with. But shinnok can get really overwhelmed by Laos staggers as down 1 isn't always a good option and it's his fastest one.

Johnny Cage - 6-4 Johnny has a hard time full screen, reacting to his orbs with scoop is very easy and my projectile is just overall a better one. He also can't machine gun d4 and his floaty jump is easy to aa. It's not too hard for shinnok once he gets in either thanks to ex scoop.

Kenshi - 6-4 Kenshi's zoning can become useless once I have a bar, and he just has a worse close up game, haven't played too many Kenshi's but the match is usually completely controlled by Shinnok, could be wrong here.

Kitana - 5-5 I've played kp a few games and they both kind of go even in the zoning battle, but her float can be hard for shinnok to deal with because she can avoid hell sparks with it. This is a fuzzy one for me, could be in shinnoks favor I'd need to play this mu more to be 100 percent sure.
Ermac - 5-5 I have to fear soul ball, but ex scoop usually can punish that, but machine gunning stomp is a bit hard to deal with if I have no meter. I do win the up close game I believe with my pressure and good footsie tools. Haven't played any good mystics but I'd assume it's 5 5 as well as with spectral.

Kotal - 6-4 definitely. He gets poooooped on by boneshapers zoning and hell sparks and scoop is a great armor move to punish gaps with. Hands down 6 4.

Mileena - 5-5 this isn't hard for shinnok at all because back 12 is pretty irrelevant vs his down 4 and hell sparks, she also has to be extremely careful full screen where as I can bait a Sai then punish with ex scoop.

Alright, I believe that's everyone minus kp2 and kp1, I still have yet to play any good dlc characters after their buffs. But I'll update it eventually. I left goro out as well because I haven't fought any good ones. I think mu's decide how good a character is in this game so based off this chart alone you could probably come to the conclusion that shinnok is top tier but in no means broken. If any of you disagree tell me why and I'd be happy to give you reasons why I would think otherwise or I'll agree with you. Thanks for reading guys. Peace

- KHTC Jink
Honestly I think Jin(shaolin) beats boneshaper 6-4 , because for one chakram low profiles his main zoning tool pretty well and second he has a safe armored move so even if you do bait after f22 1+3 df1 and he does an armored move you basically get nothing.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
You don't have variations listed. I'm curious about your Quan number, but all I can gather is that you're talking about Summoner.

What about Sorcerer/Warlock?

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Ravenous Mileena is completely different from Piercing. Instead of B1 she has a 12f mid that's -3 on block. She can literally spam high pounce all day as her best footsie tool, in this matchup high pounce can punish Shinnok whiffing d4 if she spaces correctly

Unforgivxble

Don status KHAOTIC Jink
You don't have variations listed. I'm curious about your Quan number, but all I can gather is that you're talking about Summoner.

What about Sorcerer/Warlock?
You're right, for sorcerer I would still put 5-5, the armor is annoying but shinnok has a multi hitting armored move so not a big deal, as well as warlock, the kick is annoying but the armored reversal is not hard to deal with. He gets out pressured but I get outzoned.

Unforgivxble

Don status KHAOTIC Jink
Ravenous Mileena is completely different from Piercing. Instead of B1 she has a 12f mid that's -3 on block. She can literally spam high pounce all day as her best footsie tool, in this matchup high pounce can punish Shinnok whiffing d4 if she spaces correctly
She won't be able to spam that on shinnok

Unforgivxble

Don status KHAOTIC Jink
Give your explanation man. She doesn't have B1 so she must use that. And I don't see how she can't spam that, it has the same speed as D'vorah F1 with slightly more range
Be more specific, spam as in you doing d1 pounce? Or just doing pounce and then getting pressured.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Be more specific, spam as in you doing d1 pounce? Or just doing pounce and then getting pressured.
She can use high pounce as a advancing mid to get in, and whiff punish. She can cancel all strings into high pounce to build meter. Generally it's a good mid because it can't be low profiled and leads to 16% without risk.
However BS Shinnok's F4 is one of the worst nightmare for Ravenous, usually after -3 high pounce Ravenous can d1 check because mids in this game can't punish her from doing d1 after -3, in most matchups the worse case for her is eating a poke. In this matchup after high pounce BS Shinnok can do F4 string to check her all the time and hit confirm into whatever he wants

Unforgivxble

Don status KHAOTIC Jink
She can use high pounce as a advancing mid to get in, and whiff punish. She can cancel all strings into high pounce to build meter. Generally it's a good mid because it can't be low profiled and leads to 16% without risk.
However BS Shinnok's F4 is one of the worst nightmare for Ravenous, usually after -3 high pounce Ravenous can d1 check because mids in this game can't punish her from doing d1 after -3, in most matchups the worse case for her is eating a poke. In this matchup after high pounce BS Shinnok can do F4 string to check her all the time and hit confirm into whatever he wants
Yeah I know, I didn't think putting the mind game of back 12 and pounce needed their own little post because I feel shinnok deals really well with both. I understand where you're coming from though.

Ecodus

I ain't got time to bleed.
I am of the opinion that Jacqui either goes even or might even beat BS Shinnok (shotgun and full auto). I agree with a lot of what you said, she does struggle with d4 and d1 vs shinnok because of her weak poke game, and from 3/4 screen or less, ducked guns is a ex scoop punish every time. The reason I think she does well or goes even with Shinnok is because of her ability to contest hell sparks, her big time damage (she gets a lot of damage on a blocked OH starting from a 6f jab, for example), her whiff punish ability, how scary she is for Shinnok on KD (FA) or when you have him in vortex (shotgun). Her walk back is super strong to make f4 whiff in a lot of situations. I also agree that shinnok probably outzones her (both in FA and obviously in Shotgun) because his hit advantage is better than her guns (+15 vs +8) but her guns have other uses than just zoning for this MU (like breaking armour, whiff punishing, keeping her safe on block).

I'm on ps4 and would totes be down to run this MU if you want. PSN:Ecodus11

Unforgivxble

Don status KHAOTIC Jink
I am of the opinion that Jacqui either goes even or might even beat BS Shinnok (shotgun and full auto). I agree with a lot of what you said, she does struggle with d4 and d1 vs shinnok because of her weak poke game, and from 3/4 screen or less, ducked guns is a ex scoop punish every time. The reason I think she does well or goes even with Shinnok is because of her ability to contest hell sparks, her big time damage (she gets a lot of damage on a blocked OH starting from a 6f jab, for example), her whiff punish ability, how scary she is for Shinnok on KD (FA) or when you have him in vortex (shotgun). Her walk back is super strong to make f4 whiff in a lot of situations. I also agree that shinnok probably outzones her (both in FA and obviously in Shotgun) because his hit advantage is better than her guns (+15 vs +8) but her guns have other uses than just zoning for this MU (like breaking armour, whiff punishing, keeping her safe on block).

I'm on ps4 and would totes be down to run this MU if you want. PSN:Ecodus11

I see what you're saying but im a full auto main and I have fought many boneshapers as jacqui, I also fight (who I believe is the best full auto jacqui out there) stb krizbe. Her plus frames and frametraps are scary but nothing that bad for shinnok, i still have a great backdash that f1 cant chase after 1212 and her zoning becoming obsolete is a very big deal imo. Also, she doesnt have a very easy punish vs hell sparks if all three hit (it's possible, just tough) and shinnok staggers kill her. I'm also pretty positive she cant make all of f41d2 whiff if she makess my f4 whiff, she will have to block the rest of the string. She really doesn't have anything on shinnok whatsoever, most of her tools become irrelevant and she cant even use her buttons that well.

Also I'm only on xb1 for now sadly. gt: KHTC Jink