What's new

Match-up Discussion Kenshi Matchup Discussion Thread

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
I wanted to add another PS.....those matches are a little bit old because there's a tech that makes kenshi approach WAAAY easier and very effective. if u paid close attention u might notice it! but if not! then ya......will mention it after FR for sure! it's a promise.

and VSM know bout it as well......i told maxter as well haha

EDIT: hahaha ty so much DAVE! me and piggy will luv u long time haha ^_^

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
The obvious answer here is a MM between AC1984 and King Hippo. This will determine tier placement.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Sao!! haha dude i cant stop laughing....the monkey in your avatar...HAHAHAHA!!

omg it's killing me man! ...... tears*
how u been by the way ^_^? also...dont troll lol....please :p

The easiest combo also is the most damaging one: f32~rk, f32~sc for 25%

Near the corner we can go with f32~rk, 21~rk, 113~sc for 28%; f32~rk, 113~rk, 113~sc for 30% or f22b1, 113~rk, 113~rk, d1~sc for 31% (if you do the sc alone at the end it will do 31% aswell, probably the d1~sc does near 32%, its up to you.)

The easiest one is f22b1, 113~rk, 113~sc for 30%
lets go again, midscreen punish for mileena's roll: f22b1, dash 2~RK, f32~SC for 28%, 2, f32~RK, f32~SC for 27%, the second one is easier to perform.

in the corner: f22b1, 21b2, 3~RK, 113~SC for 34%

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
Creepy thread is creepy.

But in all honesty,
This has the look of a 5/5 maybe a 5.5/4.5 if we're going to try to be exact -- I see no valid argument to support otherwise.

So can anyone walk me through the Jax vs Kenshi or the Liu Kang vs Kenshi. I read all 7 pages and seen what has already been talked about. I just need some more info as I main both Liu and Jax and find this the HARDEST match up. :/

Tolkeen

/wrists
So can anyone walk me through the Jax vs Kenshi or the Liu Kang vs Kenshi. I read all 7 pages and seen what has already been talked about. I just need some more info as I main both Liu and Jax and find this the HARDEST match up. :/
I'll talk a little about Jax, but I'm not an expert on him:
All of Kenshi's psuedo frame traps can be beaten out by jax's d3 if you time it right (Bookburning was doing it to me regularly online so I know it's possible). This means that after a f22b2 or a 21b2 I have to show your poke respect. Also, the f4 string of jax's jails kenshi, so if I block the f4 I have to block all of it, meaning that the only way I'll get out is with armor, so feel free to abuse this string. If you effectively use YOUR armor to get in, you will win out almost all of the armor trades. Do not be afraid to dashpunch or exdashpunch if it will get you in. Kenshi will usually back himself towards the corner, so use this to get him in the rediculous corner loop. Your projectile is quick, so use that against a kenshi that likes to back up alot, especially mid range. You can get him to start looking for reflects and then you can groundpound him to get close. Don't do anything stupid....like jump, that will just send you full screen. Dash block in until you're about dp max range and then watch for Kenshi's f32, if he starts to move forward dash punch because I believe it's safe on block, and I also believe it will beat out f3. Those are all the tips I can give you now, I'm sure once mayo or pig get back to you they will have a much firmer understanding of the fights.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
You have to overwhelm Kenshi if you`re jax. Get in his face and just be a total crack head. If you start making him nervous, cross over into jump kick throw. You do not want to get anti aired and spirit charged back to full screen. You must get kenshi to the corner. Kenshi can not get out of the corner unless he gets a lucky spirit charge or your pokes become predictable. For example. Don`t do F4 1 3, D1 constantly. He`ll wait for your D1 poke, and then he´ll d1 SC on block to create space and start taking control back.

mekane

Noob
When dealing with Stryker, is it worth attempting reflect on his bullets? since can't he just delay the bullets, then hit you while you recover from whiff reflect? I also just seem to have trouble with the timing even when he doesn't delay.

Its not really worth trying to spam zoning since teleflurry doesn't hit his EX roll to even get a little damage in the trade, so he's doing 16% net damage from nearly full screen... if I predict he is going to roll or Ex roll, can I beat it with SC or at least trade some damage if he does Ex roll? or is this timing too difficult to react to?

And what do you do after a blocked roll? He can uppercut you (7f) if you attempt a throw, string, or cross up and you're left at -10 from a blocked SC :( Is D4 perhaps a good option if he is using upper cut often? Or if you predict uppercut, duck block, and punish with F2-2-B1 BnB? or is that too slow startup to react in time?

Death

Noob
Kenshi only bad MUs is probably Kabal and Kung Lao. He beats almost everybody and only goes even with a few characters (Noob, Reptile, Cyrax, Freddy, Smoke)

Blackula

I SEE EVERYTHING!
And after fighting the Kabal and Kung Lao matchups a lot, those matchups really aren't as bad as they seem.

Against Kabal, something you need to take into consideration is the size of the stage. A small stage is very good for Kenshi because Kabal will end up backing himself to a corner much quickly if he only tries to zone you. Once you get Kabal in the corner, you need to be able to keep him there because he struggles against Kenshi in the corner.

Kung Lao, once you learn to deal with teleport, this matchup becomes much easier to fight.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
And after fighting the Kabal and Kung Lao matchups a lot, those matchups really aren't as bad as they seem.

Against Kabal, something you need to take into consideration is the size of the stage. A small stage is very good for Kenshi because Kabal will end up backing himself to a corner much quickly if he only tries to zone you. Once you get Kabal in the corner, you need to be able to keep him there because he struggles against Kenshi in the corner.

Kung Lao, once you learn to deal with teleport, this matchup becomes much easier to fight.
Yeah, but there's not really any "dealing" with the teleport because he has so many options off of it. He doesn't have to do instant 3 all the time. And his hitbox being so big so he has to deal with all that pressure and can't anti crossover him because of it.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
someone please explain smoke matchup. i just need someone to explain this matchup, since i understand it but cant actually explain how it works

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
Smoke matchup is simple - do not fight smoke with kenshi :)

Who do you guys recommend to fight with kenshi bad matchups ? sektor maybe ?

Tolkeen

/wrists
someone please explain smoke matchup. i just need someone to explain this matchup, since i understand it but cant actually explain how it works
Maybe someone more accomplished than me can help you with this, but I'll give you my personal take on it. Don't try to trade, you want to get a life lead, however you can, and then sit on it. If Smoke has to come to you, you will get a lot of damage in just shouldering him to keep him out. Just be aware that a smoke bomb can lead to a reset, which means you lose the round. Wafflez says that rushing Smoke down is a good way to win this matchup, but I can never catch him. Be patient, and don't be afraid to win by timeout if you have the life lead.
Pig Of The Hut
Please help elaborate this matchup, thank you.

Tolkeen

/wrists
Smoke matchup is simple - do not fight smoke with kenshi :)

Who do you guys recommend to fight with kenshi bad matchups ? sektor maybe ?
That depends on what you plan to achieve and who you feel are your worst matchups. Obviously Kabal and Kung Lao are a problem for every Kenshi player, but I personally have a hard time with Reptile and Smoke (GGA Medina and GGA Wafflez to be precise), so I would recommend trying to find a character that can cover all of the matchups that are hard for YOU. However, if you're just playing to place top half at a tourney, or to play with friends or in locals, then going all Kenshi is feasible. If you want to win MLG, then I'd suggest looking into Kabal, Kung Lao, Skarlet (this is a controversial one), or Reptile. Pig of the Hut plays many different characters and he plays them all exceptionally well, he'll probably have more insight into this question since I only play Kenshi.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
Maybe someone more accomplished than me can help you with this, but I'll give you my personal take on it. Don't try to trade, you want to get a life lead, however you can, and then sit on it. If Smoke has to come to you, you will get a lot of damage in just shouldering him to keep him out. Just be aware that a smoke bomb can lead to a reset, which means you lose the round. Wafflez says that rushing Smoke down is a good way to win this matchup, but I can never catch him. Be patient, and don't be afraid to win by timeout if you have the life lead.
Pig Of The Hut
Please help elaborate this matchup, thank you.
Thank you

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Thank you
tele flurry ever smoke away

sc every smoke towards

use meter for ex tele flurry trading w smoke bomb

Get the life lead and make him come to you by making a mistake (smoke towards = sc and jk whiff teleport behind you = RK)

I always keep a pocket bar of meter to break the resets

the match is pretty 5-5. You have no reason to do anything when you have the life lead and never trade without armor. If the first 2-3 hits of tele flurry hit he's stunned but if only one hit hits then after smoke bomb he can full combo you winning the trade in a large way

Same goes for Overhead slash, even after the hit he gets up in time to combo u