What's new

Kenshi Living Guide

Cosmic_Castaway

Flying Grayson
I'm pretty sure it's completely safe, actually. If anything is going to punish it, it'd probably have to be either Reptile, Raiden or Kung Lao and only if blocked at close range, if it's punishable at all. I think you can punish with an uppercut if you duck it, actually. Some characters maybe full combo.

Either I, or anyone with the time, will have to test this. But I'm still fairly certain it's 100% safe on block.
Tested it today, against those three characters:

Reptile can punish it with b,f+2 (i6)
Kung Lao can punish it with any string from 2. (i7)

Raiden's b,f+3 couldn't punish it, and that's i8. So that leads me to believe the move is -7 on block with pushback.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
It would have to be -8 on block. If it was -7, Kung Lao's 2 wouldn't be able to punish it since Kenshi could block the move at the same time it came out.

Was this all done at point blank? I don't want to believe Kung Lao can punish a max distance Spirit Charge on block. His standing 2 can't reach that far... can it?

Fuck it, Kung Lao can do everything.

It would have to be -8 on block. If it was -7, Kung Lao's 2 wouldn't be able to punish it since Kenshi could block the move at the same time it came out.

Was this all done at point blank? I don't want to believe Kung Lao can punish a max distance Spirit Charge on block. His standing 2 can't reach that far... can it?

Fuck it, Kung Lao can do everything.
That's not how frames work. If something is -7, an i7 move can punish it. And I believe Kung Lao can punish Spirit Charge from range using EX Spin.

Cosmic_Castaway

Flying Grayson
Yes, this was all done at point blank range. And lol, he can't punish a max distance one. His standing 2 has a lot of reach, but not that much.
That's not how frames work. If something is -7, an i7 move can punish it. And I believe Kung Lao can punish Spirit Charge from range using EX Spin.
You're correct, I tested this as well. Kung's EX Spin can punish a range 1 Shoulder.

Tarlom

Noob
I doubt this will be particularly useful, but it's certainly interesting...
The last hit Kenshi's f2,2,b1 apparently hits behind him.
I noticed this in one match where I tried to jump in and start a combo, but a Scorp player dodged and did an EX teleport, but only ran into the back of my sword and got juggled... and this happened 3 times that match.

I doubt this will be particularly useful, but it's certainly interesting...
The last hit Kenshi's f2,2,b1 apparently hits behind him.
I noticed this in one match where I tried to jump in and start a combo, but a Scorp player dodged and did an EX teleport, but only ran into the back of my sword and got juggled... and this happened 3 times that match.
hmmm... cross-up defense perhaps?

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
hmmm... cross-up defense perhaps?
Possible, but I wouldn't recommend actually going for it. Your best defense against cross-ups is NJP. Which is a little sad, but very good if you make the read. I'd hope most of you could figure it out for yourselves, but eventually I'll edit in a list of NJP follow-ups because 1) I'm a pretty cool guy, and 2) it is a fairly important aspect of his game.

Neat guide
I know.

---------

Also, anyone know off the top of your head if after landing :fp:fp:bk in a corner juggle, you can cancel it with :en:d:l:bk to extend the combo? Theoretically, I suppose (and would hope) that it's possible. He's got to have something that's truly worth meter. And I'm just too damn tired right now to turn on the Xbox.

Also, anyone know off the top of your head if after landing :fp:fp:bk in a corner juggle, you can cancel it with :en:d:l:bk to extend the combo? Theoretically, I suppose (and would hope) that it's possible. He's got to have something that's truly worth meter. And I'm just too damn tired right now to turn on the Xbox.
It's possible, but it ends up being a bad use of meter.

In long juggles such as :r+:bp:bp:l+:fp,:bp,:bp:fp:l+:bp,:fk~:d:l+:fp,:fp:fp:bk the EX Slash won't connect at all because it's too slow.

You can shorten the juggle and connect the Ex Slash, but the most you will get is a :d+:fp jab afterwards. You'll end up adding 2-3% to the same shortened juggle that uses standard Slash, but overall there are meterless corner combos that will do more damage. Guess we have to keep looking for ways to use Kenshi's meter.

I spent several solid hours working on meter combos for Kenshi and found nothing either corner or mid-screen that added more than 1-3% , and nothing that really extends his combos at all. Unfortunately, I won't be holding my breath for such things to be found. For the moment, I'll assume that Kenshi's best meter options are breaker, the occasional X-Ray for burst damage, and armored specials for wake-up, trading, baiting, making things safe, etc.

I spent several solid hours working on meter combos for Kenshi and found nothing either corner or mid-screen that added more than 1-3% , and nothing that really extends his combos at all. Unfortunately, I won't be holding my breath for such things to be found. For the moment, I'll assume that Kenshi's best meter options are breaker, the occasional X-Ray for burst damage, and armored specials for wake-up, trading, baiting, making things safe, etc.
Yeah, I think at this point the best option is to hold on to your meter. Use it to break, and if you find yourself not needing to break, try to use X-Ray in a projectile trade. Outside of that, EX Spirit Charge would be the only thing I really spend meter on.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Yeah, I think at this point the best option is to hold on to your meter. Use it to break, and if you find yourself not needing to break, try to use X-Ray in a projectile trade. Outside of that, EX Spirit Charge would be the only thing I really spend meter on.
EX Rising Karma is a perfect "Get off me" move for those who just keep trying to cross you over.

EX Rising Karma is a perfect "Get off me" move for those who just keep trying to cross you over.
This is true. But my whole gameplan with Kenshi is built around avoiding being crossed up, so in theory I don't want to be using EX Rising Karma too much. Definitely useful though, no doubt.

Either way, it's clear that we should be avoiding wasting meter mid-combo.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I currently agree that Kenshi's :en moves are pointless outside of wake-up.

As far :l:bp goes, I honestly don't know at this point. It feels like it gives advantage, maybe not +2, but possibly +1. I believe I took the +2 information from a post m2dave made after playtesting with Tom Brady. Reputable sources, no?

I don't have any way to really test frames. Somebody is going to have to step up on this one and put it to bed.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
hmmm kenshi EX RK is really good .....REALLY good. EX SC is a great AA in a lot of situation and not a bad wake up game at all! EX b,f+2 EX is also amazing faraway game due to armor matigation and spell interuption (far away game).

As for wake up, the only solid move is EX SC....that's it :S , so seriously i dont know what ur sayin vilen

-b+2 seems like + advantage on block FOR SURE! i can even out poke sometimes after b+2 dash....it's a fast move and for sure puts kenshi on advantage....it feels like it in my opinion

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
i am having serious trouble landing the follow up 2,1 after 2,1 b+2. i never come close to landing the second 2,1
Try switching it out with f3,2 instead.

2,1,b2,dash,f3,2,db1...

I find the f3,2 easiest if I hold forward for both, so f3,f2.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
i am having serious trouble landing the follow up 2,1 after 2,1 b+2. i never come close to landing the second 2,1
... Uh.

Are you trying to do that in open space? Because that only combos in the corner.

In open space you need to do :bp:fp:l:bp~:d:l:fp - dash - follow-up.

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
It should combo in open space, you just need the dash in between. Also, and this is a pain in the ass, but after the dash, LET GO of forward, or else the 2,1 becomes f2,1, and doesn't chain properly.

Below are two combos that I enjoy using, but the second one is a lot easier to do, and does much more damage.

f2,2,b1,dash,2,1,db1,dash,bf2..............(7 hits, 29%)
f2,2,b1,dash,f3,2,db1,dash,f2,2,b2.......(9 hits, 35%)

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
there's no point in putting 2,1 notation in the middle of a juggle in any of kenshi's combo...it simply kills the scale if it's med screen, kills the juggling potential and kills the damage. Always no matter wut input f+3,2 if it can connect.

f+3,2 starters scales the lowest, but in the middle of juggles it enhances the damage by a lot. So basically, standing 3, b+2 and f+3,2 > are the best to be used in juggle connectors

Vilén: Precisley. Though if it's near corner, f+2,2,b+2 will be a better solution. TKS is aint that fast , so if cornered or near corner Kenshi might be in risk of some fast moves (whether trading duel damage on both sides, or punish kenshi...example: EX reptile dash). also in corner f+2,2,b+2 is actually faster to preform TKS follow up compared to a spirit charge in the case (especially if opponent roll)....the reason is due to fast momentum pace.

though , that doesnt mean that yes! always ending your combos with SC is always the best option for follow up pressure/ okizeme.