What's new

Kenshi Living Guide

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Fixed that too. Thanks for the heads up.

Also added better organization to the corner combo section.

EDIT: There's something that could potentially be an issue down the line and I want to get a jump on it:

Given the amount of combo videos and things of the like floating around, I'd like to inform everyone that this thread is only going to feature good combos and situation specific stuff.

Please don't give me your super l33t combos that have people blowing huge meter on X-Ray's for no added damage, or burning through meter for :en moves to do similar damage to what you could've done in the same situation without any meter use. If you want to learn to play Kenshi effectively, you come here. If you want to be stylin' on your friends and scrubs, consult the Kenshi Kombo Thread here. This is where you should post said combos as well.

I feel like I may be vastly overestimating the quality of the content in the guide, but maybe this should be sticky'd...?

I think he's implying that the first two hits of the 2,1,b.2 will be blocked and will only do chip. The b.2 overhead then hits and the damage opens up.
exaxtly what i meant lol

sry if it was confusing, the other 2 overhead combos i posted should be the same as well

An interesting note for people working on corner combos:

In almost any corner combo that ends with a special (charge, slash, etc.), you can actually use a TK Flurry and link a TK Charge after it. It's nothing spectacular, but it adds around 2-4% to a given combo. The only time it doesn't work is if they drop too low and the Flurry whiffs.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Anything punished by full combo, you should start with :r:bp:bp:l:fp and then go into whatever after that. It's your best punisher, and leads to the best wall-carry.

For the blocked teleports, you have to time it so it smacks them just as their feet touch the ground. It really takes no practice at all.

Gurrry

Twitch - 12DollarStreamMonster
I have 2 questions.

Ive been playing Kenshi since day 1 and you are definitely right about one thing... He is garbage against cross-ups. People have started doing this to me constantly now and I feel like Kenshi has no answer for it.

What have you guys been doing to help stop it? Most the time I just jump out.. but I feel like there has to be a way to punish them somehow.

My other question: What is the best combo off of a naked DB+1? I get people constantly trying to get in on Kenshi and I can usually catch them with the Rising Karma when they jump-in. I usually just end it in F2, 2, B2 for 18%... but I feel like I am wasting an opportunity to deal more damage every time this happens.

Any suggestions/answers?

regarding the naked db1 i would say f22b2 is your safest best..or maybe f32~spiritcharge and it pushes them across the screen. Ive been going on the offensive with kenshi sometimes and crossing up with f32 and if it hits then f32~risingkarma f22b2. You can also cross up with 21b2 (last hits a overhead and if it connects you can end it with risingkarma dash f32~spiritcharge) if they are blocking low in fear of the f32. Also remember you have the df4 and dbf4 anti-airs for morons who like to jump at medium to long range against kenshi (i didnt mention db4 cuz it shouldnt be used at close range, very unsafe)

The best reliable damage I've found off of naked db+1 is f2, 1, b2, TK Charge, which is 20% if I recall. I wish he could get more off of it, but I haven't found a way. Also, you can use db+4 to end Kenshi's BnB. It does the same damage as ending with b2, but builds a bit more meter. It doesn't knock them away, of course, so you have to decide what's more important in the moment.

QjonPL

Low Tier Fanatic
Some of combos which I use and are quite reliable:
db+1, nj.P, ff 2,1b+2~bf+2 (25%)
f+3,2 db+1, ff f+3,2 bf+2 (26%)
nj.P, 2,1~db+1, ff f+3,2~bf+2 (26%)
2,1b+2~db+1, ff f+3,2~bf+2 (31%)
f+2,2b1, ff f+3,2 df+1, ff f+3,2 bf+2 (36%)

Wall:
j.P, f+2,2b+1, 2,1b+2, 3~db+1, 3~db+1, d+1~bf+2 (45%)

Cheers

Some of combos which I use and are quite reliable:
db+1, nj.P, ff 2,1b+2~bf+2 (25%)
f+3,2 db+1, ff f+3,2 bf+2 (26%)
nj.P, 2,1~db+1, ff f+3,2~bf+2 (26%)
2,1b+2~db+1, ff f+3,2~bf+2 (31%)
f+2,2b1, ff f+3,2 df+1, ff f+3,2 bf+2 (36%)

Wall:
j.P, f+2,2b+1, 2,1b+2, 3~db+1, 3~db+1, d+1~bf+2 (45%)

Cheers
your last midscreen combo has some errors..its 35% and its db1 for the rising karma. And im sure everyone knows those already lol

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I updated the guide with a section at the end explaining his 50/50 mixup with his :bp:fp:l:bp and :bp:fp:r:bk strings. It shines in the corner, but you can do it in open space as well.

Considering both strings are fast and safe, this should be your main tool with Kenshi when your opponent is close to you. On hit the overhead string creates space, and the low string gives you a reset, thus situational control. Extremely dangerous stuff. Something other characters would absolutely kill to have in their arsenal.

Cosmic_Castaway

Flying Grayson
You have Shoulder noted as being safe on block. Isn't its safety actually dependent on your range from the opponent, much like TK Flurry?

Btw, this guide should be stickied.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I'm pretty sure it's completely safe, actually. If anything is going to punish it, it'd probably have to be either Reptile, Raiden or Kung Lao and only if blocked at close range, if it's punishable at all. I think you can punish with an uppercut if you duck it, actually. Some characters maybe full combo.

Either I, or anyone with the time, will have to test this. But I'm still fairly certain it's 100% safe on block.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Ive been playing Kenshi since day 1 and you are definitely right about one thing... He is garbage against cross-ups. People have started doing this to me constantly now and I feel like Kenshi has no answer for it.
If you can react fast enough, you can dash under their jump and do a bf2. That move has a huge hitbox.