What's new

Kenshi general discussion.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Are there any other kameos outside of Sub-Zero & Frost that I should know about with him? I've always wanted to use him, but I only see those 2 kameos. I started with Kung Lao yesterday before they dropped a pipebomb on us with the patch.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Are there any other kameos outside of Sub-Zero & Frost that I should know about with him? I've always wanted to use him, but I only see those 2 kameos. I started with Kung Lao yesterday before they dropped a pipebomb on us with the patch.
Cyrax is still good for him and sareena is also really good.

Reactions: JDE

JDE

Cyrax is still good for him and sareena is also really good.
Didn't know about Sareena. I'll check her out when I finish labbing Frost. What does she give him?

Last edited:

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Kano as well since he's kinda "we have cyrax at home" but with other/different utility. You have the ability to get sento out on block, you can combo into sento/sandwich, you have better zoning

JDE

Kano as well since he's kinda "we have cyrax at home" but with other/different utility. You have the ability to get sento out on block, you can combo into sento/sandwich, you have better zoning
Nice. Baconlord mentioned Sareena. I was curious which ones allowed sento combos outside of the Lin Kueis. Glad to see he has options. Makes even happier to learn him. I tried him a bit with Kung Lao, but haven't dug as deep yet.

Baconlord

Nice. Baconlord mentioned Sareena. I was curious which ones allowed sento combos outside of the Lin Kueis. Glad to see he has options. Makes even happier to learn him.
Just to be clear sareena doesn't actually give you combos into sento. The idea is that sareena gives you much better neutral options and you can just get sento out by doing rising karma b2 sento. You're basically sacrificing some of your best Oki setups for significantly better neutral. B2 sento still gives you good offense it's just not as oppressive as the sandwich stuff

Reactions: JDE

JDE

Just to be clear sareena doesn't actually give you combos into sento. The idea is that sareena gives you much better neutral options and you can just get sento out by doing rising karma b2 sento. You're basically sacrificing some of your best Oki setups for significantly better neutral. B2 sento still gives you good offense it's just not as oppressive as the sandwich stuff
Ah ok.

Edit: I'm still having a bit of issues getting F221 - 3 (Sento) to land after I land Frost or Sub's freeze.

wsj515

Ah ok.

Edit: I'm still having a bit of issues getting F221 - 3 (Sento) to land after I land Frost or Sub's freeze.
What issue are you having? You should kind of think of it as F2213 until you get an actual hang of how sento works w/ controlling kenshi and sento independently.

I'd check out this video from Titaniumtigers, really good video to get you started on sento basics, and can then move on to his advanced video

Last edited:

wsj515

Here's the issue. Basically trying to get Sento to launch. https://x.com/JDE_san/status/1717239683162206612?s=20
Ah - once you summon sento, sento will always perform its button unless your holding R1 or its on cooldown. If you want sento to do something without kenshi doing anything, you need to hold block. If you want kenshi to do stuff without sento doing anything, you need to hold R1. Otherwise, they'll both do stuff at the same time.

For this combo, you need to freeze, summon sento, then hold block - sento 1 or 2, release block f221, sento 3, and so on.

JDE

Ah - once you summon sento, sento will always perform its button unless your holding R1 or its on cooldown. If you want sento to do something without kenshi doing anything, you need to hold block. If you want kenshi to do stuff without sento doing anything, you need to hold R1. Otherwise, they'll both do stuff at the same time.

For this combo, you need to freeze, summon sento, then hold block - sento 1 or 2, release block f221, sento 3, and so on.
Yeah I noticed how you can control him by holding block. then inputting something. Just the combo timing I've been having issues with. He's a character I could play even if he's nerfed tbh.

Edit: I'm starting to get it now. Thanks!

Last edited:

Baconlord

Here's the issue. Basically trying to get Sento to launch. https://x.com/JDE_san/status/1717239683162206612?s=20
Hold forward while summoning sento, sento will walk them move forward and as soon as he finishes his dash hit 2. If timed right he will walk forward and attack before Kenshi can act. You then input f221 as soon as sento 2 ends. Make sure to dial up the f221 fast and then just mash 3 too get sento 3 to combo.

JDE

Hold forward while summoning sento, sento will walk them move forward and as soon as he finishes his dash hit 2. If timed right he will walk forward and attack before Kenshi can act. You then input f221 as soon as sento 2 ends. Make sure to dial up the f221 fast and then just mash 3 too get sento 3 to combo.
Bet. Thanks. I want to try him with Kano & Darrius too so anything else you guys got let me know. And I do be competing so throw everything at me (some of you already know me well enough hahaha).

JDE

I've already convinced myself that Kenshi's a character that can work with anyone that I want him to- well more characters than I thought I should say, just I have to get more comfortable with his buttons with sento. I had in my mind that I needed to find a kameo that would always allow him to combo into that stance, but I'm starting to realize that's not the case. I also appreciate the help.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Been looking for another top tier character to learn since Baraka got nerfed + Cyrax getting nerfed. Did Kenshi’s combo trials and he seems really fun. Took a minute to understand how Sento works, but yeah, I really like all his buttons.

What is something you wish you knew when you first started learning him? And/or what advice do you have for someone trying to learn him?

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Been looking for another top tier character to learn since Baraka got nerfed + Cyrax getting nerfed. Did Kenshi’s combo trials and he seems really fun. Took a minute to understand how Sento works, but yeah, I really like all his buttons.

What is something you wish you knew when you first started learning him? And/or what advice do you have for someone trying to learn him?
Kenshi is basically a rush down/setplay character however he rushes down at a slower pace than johnny, smoke, mileena, etc. A medium pace I guess.

It’s important to get good at slowing down characters like Johnny. And then increasing the pace against character like Kitana and Shang who want to stay full screen, zone you, and play slow.

Also know when to get out of sento stance. Some people like Scar like to stay in it and refresh the spirit after landing a hit. Personally I like to go back to balanced stance if sento gets hit too quickly or runs out.

wsj515

Get away from the f221 sento path combos asap, its really easy but you're losing a ton of damage - build your muscle memory for much better converts off of stray sento 1/2 hits.

Get away from the f221 sento path combos asap, its really easy but you're losing a ton of damage - build your muscle memory for much better converts off of stray sento 1/2 hits.
What's your favorite Kameo to get Sento out on block and easiest setups to get into sandwich.
What Kombos do you recommend, I'm getting 42% off my 42/S4xxDB3 combos off F221/14/B2
How much damage you getting. I just picked up Kenshi as a tool vs Hard matchups and I love Kenshi and the depth to this character.

wsj515

What's your favorite Kameo to get Sento out on block and easiest setups to get into sandwich.
What Kombos do you recommend, I'm getting 42% off my 42/S4xxDB3 combos off F221/14/B2
How much damage you getting. I just picked up Kenshi as a tool vs Hard matchups and I love Kenshi and the depth to this character.
Cyrax is still best for getting sento out on block, he also can combo into sandwich meterless, and with forward throw. Kano can get sento out on block too, but covers less options from your opponent, and if they get hit by Kano they go full screen - his knives are good for neutral though.

midscreen from a sento 1/2 (either after a freeze, or you're hit confirming) you should be using this:
sento 1/2 (pause) 42 sento 3, f2, (r1) 4 (release r1) sento 3, j2 f4 sento 3, 4 db4

JDE

With Frost, when I labbed her, from F22, the Sento 1, 42, Sento 3 sometimes whiff because of how far away she is. I use both her & Sub-Zero with him, but is there a more consistent way of comboing from this with her other than Sento 2 F221 Sento 3?

wsj515

With Frost, when I labbed her, from F22, the Sento 1, 42, Sento 3 sometimes whiff because of how far away she is. I use both her & Sub-Zero with him, but is there a more consistent way of comboing from this with her other than Sento 2 F221 Sento 3?
You should always be able to do the optimal from max f22 distance into frost freeze - you just need to make sure sento takes a step before doing sento 1, then dash forward 42. I actually do this every single time I freeze regardless of distance, since it helps me ensure the sento 3 stays a true combo and properly launches.

Baconlord

sometimes it's better to sacrifice to a bit of damage at the end of a combo and prioritize sento time. If a combo does 5% more then another but lasts 3 seconds longer you might not want to do it. if you see kenshi players ending in f4 instead of db4 it's because they want to get their setplay going with as much sento time as possible.

Baconlord

cyrax is really the only kameo that lets you get sento out on block for free. every other kameo that we tried is kind of a gimmick when it comes to getting him out on block.