What's new

Kenshi general discussion.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Also have they nerfed the knife toss stuff in Kenshi's mid-screen optimal? unless I just suck I don't think it's a true combo anymore...

I didn't notice it when I was playing online but after Kano knife toss, the second hit of Ghost2 can be blocked.

Can anyone else confirm?

Edit: They did :( Hayatei confirmed on stream
R.I.P. Glory days of pre-beta. He was never allowed to live.

D

Deleted member 59910

Sub-zero has lows and overheads starters leading to 37% damage combo. Li-Mei and Liu Kang can easily achieve the 50% corner damage… But let’s nerf Kenshi’s hard af combo that puts him in a stance which removes all good strings and specials AND depletes all the Kameo bar, just because a couple of casuals don’t know what a puppet character means and think Kenshi is overpowered. The OP first post is ridiculous by itself and NRS is listening to ridiculous opinions. Alright… :mad:
Besides my crying, let’s talk tech. It looks like Kenshi will not be able to connect the spirit in a combo while using the “ambush” move of a Kameo. It is ok to combo using a “summon” move, tho.
You can, for example, use Frost’s forward move. Here’s a combo:
F22, FKameo, DB1, Spirit 2, F221, Spirit 3, 4DB3, Spirit 3, 4DB4

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Sub-zero has lows and overheads starters leading to 37% damage combo. Li-Mei and Liu Kang can easily achieve the 50% corner damage… But let’s nerf Kenshi’s hard af combo that puts him in a stance which removes all good strings and specials AND depletes all the Kameo bar, just because a couple of casuals don’t know what a puppet character means and think Kenshi is overpowered. The OP first post is ridiculous by itself and NRS is listening to ridiculous opinions. Alright… :mad:
Besides my crying, let’s talk tech. It looks like Kenshi will not be able to connect the spirit in a combo while using the “ambush” move of a Kameo. It is ok to combo using a “summon” move, tho.
You can, for example, use Frost’s forward move. Here’s a combo:
F22, FKameo, DB1, Spirit 2, F221, Spirit 3, 4DB3, Spirit 3, 4DB4
Excellent. Finally can start somewhere lol. Do you know what the combo is when they are "Sandwiched" in the middle after this ender? I have seen OH/Low starters

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
Does sento have any armour wake ups or do i just have to bend over for johnny all night :DOGE

D

Deleted member 59910

Excellent. Finally can start somewhere lol. Do you know what the combo is when they are "Sandwiched" in the middle after this ender? I have seen OH/Low starters
F221 ends with a low, so you can just repeat the forementioned combo but starting with the F221. All my opponents are reacting and blocking the F221 tho. B2 is an overhead that slightly juggles. Sooo:

F221, Spirit 3, 4BD3, spirit 3, 4BD4
B2, Spirit 1, F11, BD4

I’m sure there are longer and optimal options, all basically mixing the low pokes, B2 and F221. We need that training mode asap lol.

Does sento have any armour wake ups or do i just have to bend over for johnny all night :DOGE
Sadly, no. The Sento Stance puts Kenshi in a very bad situation. All the good tools are gone. That’s why I’m furious about NRS nerfing him already. EXBD3 should be an armour wake up option (#BuffKenshi)

Immortal

Blind justice....
I really urge (some)people to reconsider their gameplan with Kenshi. I already wrote this on Stack profile page.

Puppet is to be used only for certain pressure situations and after a setup. Don't play puppet just coz you can. At best it's gonna be just harder for you, especially mid-screen - Kenshi is very limited in Sento stance. At worst you gonna get blown up for even trying to go into Sento stance without a proper setup.

Learn Kenshi without a puppet with his base moveset(which is pretty good) and only then try to incorporate the puppet into your gameplan(mostly for pressure in the corner).

There is also case to be made for not staying in Sento stance once/if your oponnent escapes the corner.

Also Kenshi was fine "as is" in the stress test but people will be people, especialy when they see Sonic mopping "everybody" with Kenshi so yeah, nerfs(3 as far as im aware atm).

That being said, i'm having a blast playing him.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
F221 ends with a low, so you can just repeat the forementioned combo but starting with the F221. All my opponents are reacting and blocking the F221 tho. B2 is an overhead that slightly juggles. Sooo:

F221, Spirit 3, 4BD3, spirit 3, 4BD4
B2, Spirit 1, F11, BD4

I’m sure there are longer and optimal options, all basically mixing the low pokes, B2 and F221. We need that training mode asap lol.

Sadly, no. The Sento Stance puts Kenshi in a very bad situation. All the good tools are gone. That’s why I’m furious about NRS nerfing him already. EXBD3 should be an armour wake up option (#BuffKenshi)
So it looks like I found a 50/50 on the WU pressure after. The B2 OH like you said, and the low sweep B4 combos into the Spirit poke at the same time, and it's fast so I'm assuming it breaks armor too. So it's an actual 50/50 from what I can tell.

End the combo with the Sento crossup. Then:

OH: B2, Spirit 2, 4, BD4
Low: B4 (Sweep and spirit both hit), 4, DB4

And back in the same situation again. I'm thinking this can probably be optimized further too.

Last edited:

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
I think Kenshi is an interesting design and something nrs has never done before. However, I don't know if I'm sold on this stance thing yet.

It looks cool visually and on paper it has lots of options, but not having your core tools available all the time is something I don't like about a character. When you finish a combo using the ghost you are forced to enter "setup" mode, you lose your armor, your fast punisher, your "zoning" tools. Playing Cage, for example, the hype meter is a bonus and doesn't take away anything from you when you activate it, just adds options.

I have no plans of dedicating as much time to this game as I dedicated to mkx, but if I were to do it I'm not sure if he would be my main. Also, I doubt playing base Kenshi (which I liked so far and seems decent) is a good plan in the long run.

Last edited:
So it looks like I found a 50/50 on the WU pressure after. The B2 OH like you said, and the low sweep B4 combos into the Spirit poke at the same time, and it's fast so I'm assuming it breaks armor too. So it's an actual 50/50 from what I can tell.

End the combo with the Sento crossup. Then:

OH: B2, Spirit 1, F11, BD4
Low: B4 (Sweep and spirit both hit), 4, DB4

And back in the same situation again. I'm thinking this can probably be optimized further too.
How do you link b2 into spirit 1? Spirit does input 2 while I am pressing b2

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
How do you link b2 into spirit 1? Spirit does input 2 while I am pressing b2
Edited for a bit more damage.

But you have to hit with Spirit only, so hold Spirit in place when hitting B2 so only Kenshi does B2 to avoid them both striking at the same time.

For the updated combo, delay a bit after B2 to hit Spirit 2 and complete combo back into reset.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Any Specific Kameo choice running Kenshi's early meta? I feel like Sub-Zero and Darrius are the clear obvious choices for the ease of summoning Sento and post-release mix, but wondering if I'm missing out on anyone else as a good kameo.

Any Specific Kameo choice running Kenshi's early meta? I feel like Sub-Zero and Darrius are the clear obvious choices for the ease of summoning Sento and post-release mix, but wondering if I'm missing out on anyone else as a good kameo.
Sonic uses frost and this guy uses Sonya as a combo extension here

Looks like the "Kenshi is broken" movement already started. I just hope they don't nerf mechanics and just damage or something. The character itself is just too much fun.

Immortal

Blind justice....
At his point in time, everybody are broken, there is no balance at all, many characters can do 50+ dmg combos even of AA lol or 20% chip with Kameo. Kenshi isn't more broken than most of the cast is atm.

Game is crazy unbalanced or crazy fun depending on your point of view. ;)

At his point in time, everybody are broken, there is no balance at all, many characters can do 50+ dmg combos even of AA lol or 20% chip with Kameo. Kenshi isn't more broken than most of the cast is atm.

Yea I feel like NRS went with the Guilty Gear approach of "if everyone is broken then nobody is" for MK1.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.

yep

there will come updates that will patch up everything in time

I mean ..... guess so ? :DOGE

Anyway, until there, yeah, we will see those broken stuff as Jax Kameo pairing with characters and going with touch of death / infinity stuff, Nitara doing 50% damage combos without none bar meter etc and all kind of absurd shit until NRS wake up and fix things :laughing:

miti_mumway

Casual Lab Monster
Sorry if this was discussed previously, but Shujinko copies the puppet when VS Kenshi. You Kenshi mains should try that on your secondary characters and show off some cheap stuff :)

Not trying to downplay the character or anything but is Kenshi really all this powerful and "best character in the game" ONLY when he manages to be in a sandwiched position against the opponent? I'm asking because most of the match you're playing in normal stance, which is a solid, even very good character but when it comes to Sento Stance, bruh..... everything else aside from the "sandwich setup" is completely disrespected (as it should) by the opponent.

I've been learning combos for situations where Kenshi is alongside the Spirit, both in front of the opponent but in a live match, nothing works. They just press one of their long range normal strings or throw a projectile and the Spirit is dead.

I played Zato in Strive and I feel like Eddie was more "part of his toolkit" than the Spirit is for Kenshi. I feel like there's this one setup (that is one of the best in the game) that lasts for like, 5 seconds while other characters have multiple "guessing game" strings that lead to full combo, especially with Kameos, for the entirety of the match. Everything in Kenshi's gameplan leads to this specific situation and all it takes to break out of it is: saving your breaker for it (or even better, break on the first combo and you'll never find yourself in that situation), armor wake ups, trying to trade and hoping for the best or understand how the pressure works, block it and D1 or D3 to kill the Spirit.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Anyone notice that Sento's 2 sometimes doesn't actually combo with itself? Seems kind of random but I can recreate it the most consistently when I use Sento 2 at the earliest frame that I can once summoned.

Clip of the issue

Zviko

Noob
Needed a little break from Reptile and picked up this guy. He's hella fun but damn he sucks once ghost expires in sento stance. It is not uncommon for me to almost kill a guy in 1 combo and a sandwich mix up just to get reverse flawlessed once ghost expires. :laughing: What's your plan in sento stance once ghost expires? I'm using Sub kameo so the only safe option to put sento away is if I get a hit and freeze but it obviously takes time for kameo cooldown and it's hard to get a hit in sento stance. Or am I supposed to get ghost back with a meter? But there's no safe option to do that either.

He is so hard to play especially since I'm coming from one of the most basic characters on the roster but it is nice to have some options. Once combos click it feels so good.

bmoee1

Noob
Needed a little break from Reptile and picked up this guy. He's hella fun but damn he sucks once ghost expires in sento stance. It is not uncommon for me to almost kill a guy in 1 combo and a sandwich mix up just to get reverse flawlessed once ghost expires. :laughing: What's your plan in sento stance once ghost expires? I'm using Sub kameo so the only safe option to put sento away is if I get a hit and freeze but it obviously takes time for kameo cooldown and it's hard to get a hit in sento stance. Or am I supposed to get ghost back with a meter? But there's no safe option to do that either.

He is so hard to play especially since I'm coming from one of the most basic characters on the roster but it is nice to have some options. Once combos click it feels so good.
Not a kenshi main but go watch endless sonic fox matches and you will quickly learn

You can either get good with his Sento Stance moveset or back away and trade the stance for a projectile form the opponent. If the opponent is a character that can full combo you from a projectile you'll have to use the stance and find an oppening to re-summon the Spirit with DB2 EX.

If both of you are at 20% HP or so and you're stuck in Sento stance with no spirit and the guy decides to zone you, you're dead. There's nothing you can do about it. IMO this is one of the worst situations to be in, in the entire game.