What's new

Breakthrough - Kenshi Kenshi Changes apparently 2-1-16 *post any I miss*

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Well I don't have the beta so my knowledge is little but dated, since I have not had a chance to play the new and improved kenshi, I'm skeptically optimistic. Because these buffs might turn into very easily bypassable gimmicks over time
I know what you mean. Currently, I see no point using balanced really, even though it's the variation I feel most comfortable with. Possessed does seem to have very good neutral control though and safe pressure that always ends in a guess. I have not played kenjutsu yet.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
I know what you mean. Currently, I see no point using balanced really, even though it's the variation I feel most comfortable with. Possessed does seem to have very good neutral control though and safe pressure that always ends in a guess. I have not played kenjutsu yet.
Balanced is the only one I really like, but I'm probably going to pick up kenjutsu even though it annoys me that he doesn't have the blindfold on, and possessed annoys me because sento is broken.

MrProfDrPepper

Isn't he though? He may seem better on paper, but when I look at the types of buffs F/T, Mileena, Kitana and company got, combined with incoming KP2, combined with universal grappling buff, combined with A-List, Takeda, Liu, etc barely getting touched or not touched at all, I remain skeptical. Hopeful, but skeptical.
To be fair quan got nerfed to the ground

Immortal

Blind justice....
Isn't he though? He may seem better on paper, but when I look at the types of buffs F/T, Mileena, Kitana and company got, combined with incoming KP2, combined with universal grappling buff, combined with A-List, Takeda, Liu, etc barely getting touched or not touched at all, I remain skeptical. Hopeful, but skeptical.
Kenjutsu is pretty good now, maybe not top tier but strong enough to compete. Im not sold on Possessed yet, jip of teleport is good and dmg buff on specials is nice but feels like weaker Kenjutsu mostly (+ teleport).

Balanced is still shit and needs more buffs for sure.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Don't get me wrong, I'm scared as shit of the buffs some characters are getting and dubious about kombat pack 2 characters, but I think describing this rendition of Kenshi as shitty is downplaying. He may not turn out to be as good as many of those characters (in fact I highly doubt he'll be close to top 10), but with his safe pressure and good neutral now I do feel like he's finally a solid character.

I don't think he'll be the best at anything in this game, but he will have solid tools to cope with many things. Bit like a DS/Batman from injustice.

With what? Having a shitty character?
Kitana wasn't fixed in a day. She received huge buffs to her frame data (a faster b1 and waaay better numbers on block on numerous strings) a new low starter (b3, just copy pasted from 3 d4 but whatever), a vastly improved and actually useable db2, and other buffs that I can't recall at the moment.... and then a damage nerf :(. These buffs were received across 3 or 4 seperate patches.

Kitana certainly isn't S tier but she's far more viable thanks to NRS listening to her fans (no pun intended). And her biggest weakness- an almost complete lack of an overhead options- still remains to this day. Characters are meant to be weak in some areas, they shouldn't excel in every aspect.

My point here is that NRS can't just go willy nilly and buff the character like crazy, they're likely taking a gradual approach (and by gradual I mean the 13 or so buffs listed so far for Kenshi). Balancing a fighting game is no easy task, one step at a time my friend.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Kenjutsu is pretty good now, maybe not top tier but strong enough to compete. Im not sold on Possessed yet, jip of teleport is good and dmg buff on specials is nice but feels like weaker Kenjutsu mostly (+ teleport).

Balanced is still shit and needs more buffs for sure.
Don't get me wrong, I'm scared as shit of the buffs some characters are getting and dubious about kombat pack 2 characters, but I think describing this rendition of Kenshi as shitty is downplaying. He may not turn out to be as good as many of those characters (in fact I highly doubt he'll be close to top 10), but with his safe pressure and good neutral now I do feel like he's finally a solid character.

I don't think he'll be the best at anything in this game, but he will have solid tools to cope with many things. Bit like a DS/Batman from injustice.
In the last version of the patch I've been trying out Kenjutsu. Seems a lot better than it was before for sure. Tried Balanced to but it was, not balanced. Didn't really try Possessed though. Hopefully he'll be able to compete in the new patch, so I'm hoping the top tiers don't phase him out too much. The KP2 character release will tell all lol.

MrProfDrPepper

Kitana wasn't fixed in a day. She received huge buffs to her frame data (a faster b1 and waaay better numbers on block on numerous strings) a new low starter (b3, just copy pasted from 3 d4 but whatever), a vastly improved and actually useable db2, and other buffs that I can't recall at the moment.... and then a damage nerf :(. These buffs were received across 3 or 4 seperate patches.

Kitana certainly isn't S tier but she's far more viable thanks to NRS listening to her fans (no pun intended). And her biggest weakness- an almost complete lack of an overhead options- still remains to this day. Characters are meant to be weak in some areas, they shouldn't excel in every aspect.

My point here is that NRS can't just go willy nilly and buff the character like crazy, they're likely taking a gradual approach (and by gradual I mean the 13 or so buffs listed so far for Kenshi). Balancing a fighting game is no easy task, one step at a time my friend.
Yeah I definitely know this don't worry, I can understand that it will take a while before balanced will be at its full balanced potential, but if we don't make complaints about it and if we aren't vocal about not being happy about it then nothing will happen, same situation as kitana.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
Pretty disappointed about balanced, 0 changes in his main specials...:/
The new combos with f2 give more usage to this surprise attack, but still...
And the 22 should have given plus frames free, not paying a bar.

"Ex df1 doesn't recapture " Really nrs...? Come on...

Let's have hope, this is probably not the Kenshi we will see in march. Some pretty reliable voices said, for example, that A-list is going to be nerfed, and he is untouched in the beta, so...this might be pre-buffs.
I play only possessed so I gues I am cool with it :)

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
I play only possessed so I gues I am cool with it :)
Don't be that way, Kenshi mains have to back up each other xD

Balanced still needs a lot of help, specially when all the cast is getting buffs. The ones he got are not moving him from low tier position. He's basically the same with a bit more damage and a parry which its true possibilities still need to be discovered. B1 is a blessing though.

111 got wrecked. You can't combo into ex low demon. WTF man? You think a bit less minus is a buff that matter. Why would use 111 anymore if you can't get the hit confirm?!?!?
Yes, that sucks. In any case, with 11 you got more damage in combos than with 111. But yes, harder to hit confirm.

The good part is that 111 now advances more. A nice use for this, for example, is to make scorpion's exteleport whiff on wakeup.

Last edited:

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
Don't be that way, Kenshi mains have to back up each other xD

Balanced still needs a lot of help, specially when all the cast is getting buffs. The ones he got are not moving him from low tier position. He's basically the same with a bit more damage and a parry which its true possibilities still need to be discovered. B1 is a blessing though.

Yes, that sucks. In any case, with 11 you got more damage in combos than with 111. But yes, harder to hit confirm.

The good part is that 111 now advances more. A nice use for this, for example, is to make scorpion's exteleport whiff on wakeup.
I like 322 better than 111 in neutral. As a punish 111 was good option, but now i will use 114. I didn't mean to be an asshole, but i never used Balanced, so i can't say much about that variation. As zoner i use HQT. I play Possessed as a rushdown character mostly. The patch is not out yet, so we don't know all this is final! Can we play some Possessed mirror when the GGPO comes out?

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
I like 322 better than 111 in neutral. As a punish 111 was good option, but now i will use 114. I didn't mean to be an asshole, but i never used Balanced, so i can't say much about that variation. As zoner i use HQT. I play Possessed as a rushdown character mostly. The patch is not out yet, so we don't know all this is final! Can we play some Possessed mirror when the GGPO comes out?
I'm focused on Balanced, but also play the other two, so yeah, we will play for sure!

They changed 111? I play kenjitsu and didn't notice.

I've been playing a lot of kenjitsu since I can land his combos online in the beta now. Feels pretty good but it still feels like he's missing something little.

I can't find much use for regular DF1.. Maybe make it less - or do more damage. Also it would be nice for bf 3 to have more advantage on hit... So you could threaten with a meaty.