What's new

General/Other - Cybernetic Kano's Cybernetic Variation Discussion Thread

Dean

On The Grind
I just feel cyber Kano should have some form of overhead, or a viable low string.

His low is good but you have to work really hard to hit it.

Its just extremely frustrating. This character makes me want to drop this game.

Devin Thorn

chimp damage
I just feel cyber Kano should have some form of overhead, or a viable low string.

His low is good but you have to work really hard to hit it.

Its just extremely frustrating. This character makes me want to drop this game.
Well to be honest I feel like every character should have at least one overhead. Let's not act like great zoning abilities make up for an inability to open someone up when the situation calls or make someone guess when up close. Especially when quite a few characters have a few overheads to a moveset and/or have several juggling options. just my opinion. it doesn't make me frustrated to the point of disliking the game but it does seem a little silly at times

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
A few things:

B1 is fine, his pressure does not revolve around this move and it is not shit after the patch. You can still mix B1 with B13 and B13~combo and you're safe all the time.
If you can't do EX Kano Ball Cancels I don't know what to tell you, they're really not that hard. BF3EXDD, like, what's too hard about that?
Cybernetic does not need an overhead, it is a zoning variation. If it is the difference between playing the character or dropping him for you then go and play an actual rushdown variation. Cybernetic is not for that and an overhead is not necessary.

Quit complaining and learn.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Cybernetic Kano's bullshit factor comes from the fact that you will have access to meter most of the time. Predict your opponents pokes and ex eye laser or ex Kano ball cancel them for a full combo.

Devin Thorn

chimp damage
A few things:

B1 is fine, his pressure does not revolve around this move and it is not shit after the patch. You can still mix B1 with B13 and B13~combo and you're safe all the time.
If you can't do EX Kano Ball Cancels I don't know what to tell you, they're really not that hard. BF3EXDD, like, what's too hard about that?
Cybernetic does not need an overhead, it is a zoning variation. If it is the difference between playing the character or dropping him for you then go and play an actual rushdown variation. Cybernetic is not for that and an overhead is not necessary.

Quit complaining and learn.
Hey now, I have no issue with b1 lol although I don't think that was directed towards me exactly and the ex ball cancel is easy enough definitely. But why not give every character an overhead of some sort? Even if it's not the greatest like Kitana's or CT Kano's for example? Honestly just asking not trying to start an argument, I'm new to fighting games after all and would just like to here your reasoning. Do you think it would make Cyber Kano broken to have an overhead that say, had no combo potential but ended in a a hard knockdown?

Devin Thorn

chimp damage
Also I want it to be know I have zero issue with any of Kano's variation, my question about overheads is an all around MKX question, I am at peace with all of K-Dawgs variations and their movesets

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
In my opinion good character design is when a character excels at something and seems ok across the board, but has a weakness of some sort. Getting in on Cyber Kano without taking chip is impossible. His projectile is ridiculous, b1 is a godlike anti-air and a counterpoke and b2-series is one of the absolute best footsie tools in the game. Characters are forced to jump the knife if they want to avoid it, which means they have to block b2 when they land. Limited offensive ability is the price Cyber Kano has to pay for these amazing defensive tools.

Youphemism

Hey now, I have no issue with b1 lol although I don't think that was directed towards me exactly and the ex ball cancel is easy enough definitely. But why not give every character an overhead of some sort? Even if it's not the greatest like Kitana's or CT Kano's for example? Honestly just asking not trying to start an argument, I'm new to fighting games after all and would just like to here your reasoning. Do you think it would make Cyber Kano broken to have an overhead that say, had no combo potential but ended in a a hard knockdown?
If it was directed at you I would've quoted you lol.
The reason Kano doesn't need an overhead is because he's a zoner, he's not supposed to excel at rushdown as well. Same with Kitana. That's why Cutthroat has the overhead. He already has mixups in Cybernetic, they're just not the traditional mixups. He can mix up between B31 and B312 or B31 throw for example because the 2 takes a while to come out and you can't tell if it's coming or not on reaction so Kano can do the 2 at the end of the string for full combo or just do B31 then throw. B31 is +1 as well.
Not everyone needs an overhead, especially zoning based characters. Cybernetic Kano is already arguably a top 10 variation as is because he changes the way other characters have to play the game, he slows down the rushdown that makes up the majority of this game's design, and he has one of the best zoning tools in the game as well as great footsie tools. Giving him an overhead would make it even harder for people to get in on him or defend against him, it just isn't necessary.

People that complain about his pressure or say that he needs an overhead aren't playing him right, simple as that. Cybernetic Kano is really well designed, he does what he's supposed to do and he does it well.

Dean

On The Grind
If it was directed at you I would've quoted you lol.
The reason Kano doesn't need an overhead is because he's a zoner, he's not supposed to excel at rushdown as well. Same with Kitana. That's why Cutthroat has the overhead. He already has mixups in Cybernetic, they're just not the traditional mixups. He can mix up between B31 and B312 or B31 throw for example because the 2 takes a while to come out and you can't tell if it's coming or not on reaction so Kano can do the 2 at the end of the string for full combo or just do B31 then throw. B31 is +1 as well.
Not everyone needs an overhead, especially zoning based characters. Cybernetic Kano is already arguably a top 10 variation as is because he changes the way other characters have to play the game, he slows down the rushdown that makes up the majority of this game's design, and he has one of the best zoning tools in the game as well as great footsie tools. Giving him an overhead would make it even harder for people to get in on him or defend against him, it just isn't necessary.

People that complain about his pressure or say that he needs an overhead aren't playing him right, simple as that. Cybernetic Kano is really well designed, he does what he's supposed to do and he does it well.
Who are you to say people aren't playing him right? He was a badass rushdown character before the patch, so he obv has the potential for it.

His kit was already limited with b1 pre-patch. Now its shit.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
It's true though. Cyber is a zoning chartacter. Which doesn't JUST mean he has a projectile. He controls space with the projectile + Up Ball and his amazing footsies. B1 can still catch people, you just can only rep it once or twice now instead of being able to hit people with it 4 times in a row before they do shit. Ya'll need to stop whining and adapt, or come break ribs and get over it.

edit: As any good zoning character he DOES have the ability to pull off combos and apply pressure that you're supposed to mix in with the ranged zoning but I think you're supposed to range the fuck out of people until they get flustered and give you an opening or you see somewhere you can take one then get in.

Dukmunky

Arms Dealer, including all 4 of Goro's
It's true though. Cyber is a zoning chartacter. Which doesn't JUST mean he has a projectile. He controls space with the projectile + Up Ball and his amazing footsies. B1 can still catch people, you just can only rep it once or twice now instead of being able to hit people with it 4 times in a row before they do shit. Ya'll need to stop whining and adapt, or come break ribs and get over it.

edit: As any good zoning character he DOES have the ability to pull off combos and apply pressure that you're supposed to mix in with the ranged zoning but I think you're supposed to range the fuck out of people until they get flustered and give you an opening or you see somewhere you can take one then get in.
I think cyber is fine the way he is. Just wish cutthroat's overhead hade more than one cm of range.

Youphemism

Who are you to say people aren't playing him right?
I'm the guy that keeps doing well in tournaments with him because I actually can play him right.
His kit was already limited with b1 pre-patch. Now its shit.
These are the words of someone that doesn't understand the character's optimal gameplan.
He was a badass rushdown character before the patch, so he obv has the potential for it.

Dean

On The Grind
I'm the guy that keeps doing well in tournaments with him because I actually can play him right.

These are the words of someone that doesn't understand the character's optimal gameplan.

Well that is great, I don't know who you are and I still think the game is way to young to be deeming any character a specific role.

With that said, it really doesn't matter, I personally love the character and want nothing more than to rack up wins consistently with him.

I'm here for help, I hope someone will pity me and do so. Lol

What tournaments do you go to and do you have any videos of your play?

I would love to watch it.

Also, this is a generalized question to anyone willing to help.

I can not open people up when they get in on me. I don't know what to do and its ruining my life. Lol

I need help. I know combos, I know ball cancel, I can hit combos off the ball cancel but it is almost never enough and those opportunities are limited.

I find this character extremely hard for me but I'm too stubborn to give up.

Dukmunky

Well that is great, I don't know who you are and I still think the game is way to young to be deeming any character a specific role.

With that said, it really doesn't matter, I personally love the character and want nothing more than to rack up wins consistently with him.

I can not open people up when they get in on me. I don't know what to do and its ruining my life. Lol

I need help. I know combos, I know ball cancel, I can hit combos off the ball cancel but it is almost never enough and those opportunities are limited.

I think the takeaway here is that Kano is not meant to open people up conventionally. And for cyber that means getting your opponent to come in and do something unsafe so you can punish with a low starter, or else you can make a read and do armored laser eye or njp

NHDR

Noob
It goes like this. Typical fighting game characters can do a bit of zoning, a bit of a rushdown, and so forth. Take SF4 Guile. He can stand back with sonic booms, he can play rushdown by jumping in after throwing them. Therefore, he can be played in both styles. HOWEVER, the optimal way of playing him is standing back.

This same idea applies to cybernetic Kano. He can rush down, sure. Use F4 to advance, use EX Knives to apply pressure, confirm into laser, and so forth. However, you WANT to zone with him because his strongest tools are in that area. That's really all there is to it.

It seems to me like cutthroat is literally screaming at you, dude. Want a mix of zoning and rush down? Cutthroat. Want the overhead? Want the added damage? There's no clearer a sign than the fact that his knives in Cutthroat are totally different. I mean, its just too obvious. Play each variation how you want. But you're hurting yourself by not taking full advantage of the optimal way to play.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
If someone is in your face, armor on up ball, d3/d4, b1 depending on how - an opponent is after you block their poke or string, plus you have a six frame jab. Back in MK9, Sektor players would use their six frame jab to get out of pressure.

I need to explore it more, but i think this could be viable in time.

Youphemism

Having played him for over a month now we can figure out that zoning is what he's best at, it's not that hard to find a character's basic optimal gameplan in a month lol. But it's a good thing you've expressed interest in getting help to level up and that's what this community is here for! We'll gladly help :)

Unfortunately the tournaments I've entered never have me on stream but I'll try and record some footage of me next time I'm playing on my Xbox and I'll upload it to YouTube so you can watch.

How you open up a character depends on the character really, sometimes even the variation. Which characters are you struggling against mainly?
If someone is in your face, armor on up ball, d3/d4, b1 depending on how - an opponent is after you block their poke or string, plus you have a six frame jab. Back in MK9, Sektor players would use their six frame jab to get out of pressure.

I need to explore it more, but i think this could be viable in time.
Woah woah woah, which 6 frame jab?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
how is 35% from a 11 punish subpar?
The other two zoning characters that I use, Jacqui and Quan Chi, roughly have the same damage potential without any use of meter.

They also have safe 50/50 mix ups that lead to 40% combos with the use of one bar. Their zoning tools do more damage too.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Yea I'm still going to play him but will probably drop him as my main. In a game filled with 50/50s knives can only get you so far.

Also I forgot to add. If you guys would like to see my kano, I played against sonic fox on his stream for the esl knock out stages. Imo a decent example of the Erron black Kano mu

Youphemism

Yea I'm still going to play him but will probably drop him as my main. In a game filled with 50/50s knives can only get you so far.

Also I forgot to add. If you guys would like to see my kano, I played against sonic fox on his stream for the esl knock out stages. Imo a decent example of the Erron black Kano mu
In a game filled with 50/50s knives completely change the pace of the matchups so if you play him right you should be fine with keeping characters like that out...but if you want to go easy mode then ok.

Also Sonicfox's stream archives are subscriber only so we can't watch them.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Having played him for over a month now we can figure out that zoning is what he's best at, it's not that hard to find a character's basic optimal gameplan in a month lol. But it's a good thing you've expressed interest in getting help to level up and that's what this community is here for! We'll gladly help :)

Unfortunately the tournaments I've entered never have me on stream but I'll try and record some footage of me next time I'm playing on my Xbox and I'll upload it to YouTube so you can watch.

How you open up a character depends on the character really, sometimes even the variation. Which characters are you struggling against mainly?

Woah woah woah, which 6 frame jab?
Nevermind. I remembered standing 1 being six frames, but I'm probably misremembering. Disregard.

Dukmunky

God I just wish the grenade was a pop up without meter. That'd be perfect.

But seriously if you want the mix up game try cutthroat. There are some easy setups to enable his power up and do serious damage off either and overhead or a low and then keep them in the corner

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
In a game filled with 50/50s knives completely change the pace of the matchups so if you play him right you should be fine with keeping characters like that out...but if you want to go easy mode then ok.

Also Sonicfox's stream archives are subscriber only so we can't watch them.
Lol easy mode.. It doesn't get more easy mode than chucking knives buddy.. Knives are not enough at the highest level. And I didn't know that .

Youphemism

Lol easy mode.. It doesn't get more easy mode than chucking knives buddy.. Knives are not enough at the highest level. And I didn't know that .
Well it will if you give him an overhead that's also +1 on block... Of course knives are not enough, but they make the opponent jump which you then choose to anti-air or trip guard. It's like you're purposely trying to downplay him by only focussing on one part of his gameplan, I don't get it.