What's new

General/Other - Cutthroat Kano's Cutthroat Variation Discussion Thread

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I'm starting to feel like Cutt Kano is the Kano to play as the core character.
Yeah I used to think that Cutthroat = Cybernetic > Commando but Cutthroat having a bunch of better rushdown and damage options is just generally better than Cybernetic having better zoning.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Yeah I used to think that Cutthroat = Cybernetic > Commando but Cutthroat having a bunch of better rushdown and damage options is just generally better than Cybernetic having better zoning.
That's the same thing I thought too. But Cutt is better. I've started using it more now. The knives are high, but they are still decent, F2 is really good, a safe 50/50, and the buff can work wonders for meterless damage. I'm thinking Cyber/Commando for more MU specific and leaning towards Cutt as the core variation.

Dukmunky

Arms Dealer, including all 4 of Goro's
Does it work as good as EX KanoBall does interrupting strings? Like are you able to interrupt strings into combos or can you only interrupt and block?
Could you imagine how good it'd be with two hits of armor?
That's the same thing I thought too. But Cutt is better. I've started using it more now. The knives are high, but they are still decent, F2 is really good, a safe 50/50, and the buff can work wonders for meterless damage. I'm thinking Cyber/Commando for more MU specific and leaning towards Cutt as the core variation.
This is what I've been saying since day one. You can basically plan like cyber Kano, with slightly less effective zoning, and keep the overhead starter in your back pocket for running in if you're opponent starts turtling.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Yeah I was working on hit confirming F21 a while back, I'll probably play more Cutthroat just in case but I like Cybernetic too much to even think about dropping it :p I don't think F21 should be -6 though, it should go (back) up to -1 (like I'm pretty sure it used to be, I swear it said that in the frame data before).

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Yeah I was working on hit confirming F21 a while back, I'll probably play more Cutthroat just in case but I like Cybernetic too much to even think about dropping it :p I don't think F21 should be -6 though, it should go (back) up to -1 (like I'm pretty sure it used to be, I swear it said that in the frame data before).
Yea it definitely was -1 before the patch. I used to go for low pokes sometimes on block, but now I just block because I'll get blown up lol. I agree on Cyber too, it's my favorite, but Cutt is where it's at lol.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Could you imagine how good it'd be with two hits of armor?

This is what I've been saying since day one. You can basically plan like cyber Kano, with slightly less effective zoning, and keep the overhead starter in your back pocket for running in if you're opponent starts turtling.
You're right, I think I do remember you calling for Cutt lol. Good call.

Carl-L

Sub-Zero hater.

Damn I love this Ex Buff.

Messing around in practice and found that Kano can absorb the first hit of wake up EX Rising Karma with his EX buff, block the second hit and punish afterwards for big damage. Might not be too useful but I thought it was pretty sweet and somewhat worth sharing.

Hey guys, first post. Been around for a long time reading and absorbing. A thanks to all of you. I have played Kano from first getting the game with several looks to other characters from time to time because of losing to online cheese. Gave up online play until this weekend where I have been moderately successful, at least not losing to special spamming anymore and beating a few players with very good records who may not have much experience against Kano. I started Cutthroat cause it reminded me of Deadly Alliance Kano and loved the 212-21-exdb1-ball combo or 212 into other things.

Now that I have an account, I have my first question. I have found Cyber to be WAY better for online, especially if any sort of lag. He wins in short bursts and usually without a combo performed at all. I learned Cutthroat equally as well offline, but when I tried playing online again I felt I had to leave it behind because I cannot follow 212 with 2......anything. Its like the opposing character falls quicker after 212 or recovery is longer. Even in what seem to be lagless matches. And I dont know a way to practice without just playing and attempting something I have seen not work too much. Without this bnb combo I feel I have to stick with cyber to play online even though cutthroat is ruthless in the corners. I like cutthroat and cyber both very much, but dont feel I can play cutthroat onine without one of his most powerful combos.

Is it just me or is this just one of the combos that doesnt work online?

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
I'm starting to feel like Cutt Kano is the Kano to play as the core character.
I agree. My friends were saying last night that he is the easier but weaker variation, I feel like neither is the case and he possibly has the highest potential out of all three if your judgement is on point

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I agree. My friends were saying last night that he is the easier but weaker variation, I feel like neither is the case and he possibly has the highest potential out of all three if your judgement is on point
I had the game a week early, and in the general discussion look what I wrote April 14th.

What I'm leaning on thinking right now is some MU's Cybernetics will be dominant but other I'll have to use Cutthroat. Same can be said with people playing Commando.

Cutthroat has to be learned by all Kano players to be fully effective I feel.
Even back then I noticed it lol. Kano doesn't have the easiest or safest ways too approach, and loses some of the footsie tools Cyber has, so Cutt sure isn't the easiest. Why I think it's the best variation is because it fits the games meta greatly. Huge damage, big corner carry, 50/50, death corner, safe normals, etc. Once they fix the B1 hitbox so it doesn't whiff sometimes even when point blank I think Cutt will be viable and stay viable, while Cyber and Commando can be MU specific. Which is how variations were intended to be used in the first place.

I think what happened was that Cutt Kano was so underused compared to the other two variations that many of his tools went under the radar. Even I missed out on a lot of it. But Cutt is the real deal. You can corner carry from midscreen to the corner, end in hard knockdown, and if you have two bars kill them with a buff and one wrong guess. If that isn't a viable character in MKX meta I don't know what is lol.

I GOT HANDS

I don't understand how people think Cutt is the worst. Also, he gets hate because of his set up tool. People seem to think anything like this is gimmicky, but it really isn't. Just because it's not ALWAYS the right play to use it whenever, and the fact that you may have to make adjustments to your play to set it up, and the fact that it punishes you if you fail to use it correctly, does not make it a bad tool - it just makes it a trickier one to use optimally but still an excellent ability.

I'm trying to decide whether to practice him seriously or not, hes so much fun and is very cool to watch on screen, cutthroat with French skin looks like a swashbuckling pirate, but he's definitely a character you need to be really comfortable with to play optimally with in the Cutt variation, unfortunately there is already two Kanos in my local scene and it isn't huge to begin with so I don't think we need another one. Really strongly considering it though because I wasn't hugely impressed by either of the other two Kanos and I'd love to see him played at his full potential, definitely a big commitment to learn properly though, I don't care what anyone says about his small number of strings, there is so much more to this game and Kano takes much more skill to play than many other characters especially Cuttthroat

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I don't understand how people think Cutt is the worst. Also, he gets hate because of his set up tool. People seem to think anything like this is gimmicky, but it really isn't. Just because it's not ALWAYS the right play to use it whenever, and the fact that you may have to make adjustments to your play to set it up, and the fact that it punishes you if you fail to use it correctly, does not make it a bad tool - it just makes it a trickier one to use optimally but still an excellent ability.

I'm trying to decide whether to practice him seriously or not, hes so much fun and is very cool to watch on screen, cutthroat with French skin looks like a swashbuckling pirate, but he's definitely a character you need to be really comfortable with to play optimally with in the Cutt variation, unfortunately there is already two Kanos in my local scene and it isn't huge to begin with so I don't think we need another one. Really strongly considering it though because I wasn't hugely impressed by either of the other two Kanos and I'd love to see him played at his full potential, definitely a big commitment to learn properly though, I don't care what anyone says about his small number of strings, there is so much more to this game and Kano takes much more skill to play than many other characters especially Cuttthroat
I agree. If you want to play him don't let others usage stop you.

It definitely isn't gimmicks though. Like you said, optimal timing =|= gimmick. Now we're starting to explore when to use the armor on EX to set up pressure. I'm testing ways to use the armor to blow up single hitting WU's in the corner into pressure/50-60% damage.

It's only the beginning. Cutt may be going places.

CanadianBaconX

Let's see how long this lasts...
I kind of feel bad that I never gave Cutt a chance at the start... Like everyone around me would play Cutt and I was just like "hurr durr Hi Counter LARIATOOOOOO!!!" I mean I'm not gonna stop Commandoing but, I definitely am going to giving Cutt some love, gotta rep that CUP tech :p

I GOT HANDS

I agree. If you want to play him don't let others usage stop you.

It definitely isn't gimmicks though. Like you said, optimal timing =|= gimmick. Now we're starting to explore when to use the armor on EX to set up pressure. I'm testing ways to use the armor to blow up single hitting WU's in the corner into pressure/50-60% damage.

It's only the beginning. Cutt may be going places.
Yeah, but it's not like just picking up a character who just needs to know some strings and combos and just get out there and press buttons to play really well, because IMO while execution of his combos may not be too difficult, excellent Cutthroat play benefits from positioning, game knowledge and reads, so much more than the other variations and most other characters in general IMO, to me you need to be very comfortable to do this well. So while I could no doubt be a Kano like the other two in my local, it would take a lot of play to actually be the monster that I feel this variation could potentially be in the right hands. It would definitely be a commitment, but not out of the question.

And yeah, a lot of people seem to think buffs are gimmicky, but they are using the word wrong, or using the ability wrong. I mean potentially you can end up wasting your resources (life, meter, or frames) with it. But if you look a bit deeper, thats POTENTIALLY the case with just about everything in the game, Kano is just more honest about it (lol). Gimmicky is trying to pull off Kotal Kahns 100% combos, or going for stuff like combo's with multiple 1 frame links and insane position dependat juggles for 2% more damage, Cutthroats buff is not a gimmick

Part of me really wants to join the Cutthroat Clan though because like you said, I think its definitely going places. Still strongly considering settling on him for my secondary. Either way, I will say that one of the scarier things I can imagine is an excellent Cutthroat player, I think it is the best variation and I don't care what the "majority" of this silly site thinks, they have been wrong so many times before and often people just adopt an opinion because they see it said the most, and literally go on to say it themselves and use this as their only supporting argument instead of real logic "well everyone says this!". I just want to see a top tier Kano player dominate some tournaments with Cutthroat, anyone got some footage of some good Cutthroat games at all?

Last edited:

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Ermac's f2,1,d2 can be ex buff parried before the last hit and still be punished with 1,1,2. I think we could compile a list of all the strings and specials that can be punished by parrying with ex buff at some point.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
This EX Powerup tech is godlike. I've already been workin on my CT on the sidelines but this is some really game changing stuff. his punish potential is pretty insane.

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
This EX Powerup tech is godlike. I've already been workin on my CT on the sidelines but this is some really game changing stuff. his punish potential is pretty insane.
It's actually a really fun wakeup too if you catch someone offguard.

FlappyDaniel

seems like a really dangerous move to do as a yolo or on hard read, seems like it needs to be done on reaction, but I'll have to play with it and see.

FlappyDaniel

Does he lose the powerup from the hit if it's the absorbed hit? That's what I'm confused about. I could easily test but I'm at work right now.

FlappyDaniel

Oh duh, I coulda just looked at the numbers in the gifs, my bad haha. Makes sense since armored hits dont count as hits when it comes to the first hit of the match for meter either.