What's new

Joker Movie Discussion **Major Spoilers Inside**

Spektor

Noob
I enjoyed it a fair bit. I'm not into comics and generally avoid the big superhero films but was interested in this because we watched You Were Never Really Here recently and Joaquin Phoenix was superb that (and coincidentally there are some plot parallels with Joker too).

It's not as good as that film but Phoenix carries it very well. It is unfortunately a bit heavy-handed with the Batman stuff. Like others have said, I think I'd have preferred the movie if it were entirely divorced of that stuff. There were other moments where I wish there'd been little more ambiguity. Events would be implied then they'd make them explicit through dialogue or flashbacks, cheapening it a little. Minor complaints though, really. Plus t's a beautiful looking film.

I did watch King Of Comedy before this too (not a coincidence; a friend recommended it after the Joker trailer), was that a conscious inspiration for this?

Oh, one thing that bothered me is the mocking of Arthur for the "Well they're not laughing now!" joke. That's a great (Monkhouse?) joke!
I think it has to be an homage to two Martin Scorsese movies, King of Comedy and Taxi Driver. It has way too many similarities and I also think that is why they cast Robert De Niro as he was in both. Joaquin's performance was just so damn good though, he literally became Arthur Fleck. I liked the cinematography too.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
This movie is a good example of seeing it asap and not listening to reviews. Expectations are everything. If you go in with super high expectations based on the hype, you will be disappointed. That’s the case with just about every movie. It happened with me for Infinity War. Also on the flip side, when a movie is consistently said to be trash and a terrible movie, your expectations are extremely low. But you end up enjoying the movie because it wasn’t as bad as you were expecting, even if it wasn’t a very good movie.

Also, if you’re expecting a comic book type of movie, you will be disappointed. It’s not like the Dark Knight or Marvel movies. There’s not any crazy scheming, huge actions scenes, etc. It’s a movie that a lot of people won’t understand or like. Especially those who have never faced hardship, they just won’t get it and think the movie is boring.

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
This movie is a good example of seeing it asap and not listening to reviews. Expectations are everything. If you go in with super high expectations based on the hype, you will be disappointed. That’s the case with just about every movie. It happened with me for Infinity War. Also on the flip side, when a movie is consistently said to be trash and a terrible movie, your expectations are extremely low. But you end up enjoying the movie because it wasn’t as bad as you were expecting, even if it wasn’t a very good movie.

Also, if you’re expecting a comic book type of movie, you will be disappointed. It’s not like the Dark Knight or Marvel movies. There’s not any crazy scheming, huge actions scenes, etc. It’s a movie that a lot of people won’t understand or like. Especially those who have never faced hardship, they just won’t get it and think the movie is boring.
Would be cool if movie theatres had the Men In Black mind wipe technology, and they hit you with it just before you walk in to the theater to watch a movie so that any knowledge + spoilers + expectations + preconceived biases you have for the film is erased :D

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I wasnt a huge of fan of the chat show scene. I think the fact it went on so long made it too unrealistic. The dialogue should have been shorter before he killed him I think. It just went on a bit.

I also kinda wish the Bruce and his family weren't really involved in his insanity. Have his dad mentioned sure, so we're reminded this is Gotham. But I didnt like the fact there was a thing about Bruce being his brother, and that he met his dad (I cant remember Bruce's dad name)

8/10.
I liked it. You could see his hatred building and it was believable. If you remember when he was practicing, he planned on killing himself on the show. Somewhere in the discussion he decided to kill the host instead.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I liked it. You could see his hatred building and it was believable. If you remember when he was practicing, he planned on killing himself on the show. Somewhere in the discussion he decided to kill the host instead.
Yeah I liked it, and I noticed how he decided to kill the host instead. But it just went on too long, got a bit bored of that scene tbh.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I loved how well that scene played out, made sense to play out the way it did. And DeNiro's character Murray totally deserved it, reminds me of how he is in RL a dick lol. I was so happy when he killed Murray in that moment! :D

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Yeah I liked it, and I noticed how he decided to kill the host instead. But it just went on too long, got a bit bored of that scene tbh.
It crossed my mind. Today if some serial killer confessed on a show the broadcast would get cut and he’d be swarmed in 30 seconds. But then I remembered this was set in the 80s. That’s probably how it would have played out then with the host trying to stall until the police got there, having a “civil” conversation with an obvious lunatic. I can see what your saying but I don’t think it’s unrealistic.

cavemold

BIG D POLE .
Movie was great, really enjoyed it. Phoenix captured Joker's iconic laugh in a way that was as humanizing as it was haunting. People that dig Joker as this ambiguous anarchist villain might not care for this portrayal as much though.

Also, I think people want there to be some racial political subtext to the movie because of the black female as a love interest, the black female clinicians, and the black mother on the bus. I think that's reaching personally but, I'd have to watch it again.

To me, the main themes were commentaries on classism and how mental health is perceived in our culture.
Yea pretty much the theme of the movie , how society can turn on itself if people dont get the help they need. Mentally and physically.

Wonderful to see soooo many people enjoying the movie (despite the media's efforts).

It was a masterpiece. Joaquin is really out there with Mark Hamill and Heath Ledger. Oscar nom is a lock. Also, both the cinematography and the score are brilliant.

Hopefully Warner and DC will realize that this is the way. Not going against Marvel, but making their own thing. (And if it is dark and disturbing, then all the better for it).

Dark DC=Best DC

Now give me an Injustice movie you cowards!

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I hope it doesn't get a sequel. I dont feel it needs one and could ruin it. I think it's best remaining as a one off origin story.

Iustinus

Deus Fulminatus
Of all the expectations I had about this movie, I truly never would have thought it would be boring.

Yes, yes things go bad for psychotic man and he kills people. Really don't need more than a half hour to tell that paper thin story.

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
I was in love with the Joker movie before i even see it, I went in with high expectations and still got blown away. The acting, directing, cinematography, everything was as legendary as i expected. Best 120 minutes journey of the year, I really hope 2019 goes down as the year of the Joker.

Ditto on everything you said about movie theaters, I never go to theaters anymore unless i absolutely have to. I would have much rathered watched the Joker in the comfort of my own home but i had to assume the risk of spoilers and the fact that i can't avoid social media for months.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I thought he did a great job, I like it as a stand-alone. And yeah this joker wouldn’t be a match to Batman but he never has to be because this isn’t that kind of movie. Best version of the Joker I think is from the Arkham games (probably the best Batman too lol)
Considering the type of setting this movie is in, I wouldn't think Batman would be the same as we know. This Joker world seems too realistic for Batman to be running around with infinite martial arts mastery and a sportscar with missile launchers.

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: ProbablyMinus
I went in and loved it. I was nervous because i was in the theater that had the
"DOLBY ATMOS" experience.

The seats rummbled hardcore anytime action was going on.....and if my frame data is correct it results in 'desensitization' so if a real threat were to emerge in that theater, I may have not reacted to it right away. Resulting in much recover frames:(

Good thing was I went several days after initial release.

My favorite part was his dance moves on the stairs right before he went to the show!!! Great scene showing that he was probably feeling happy for once!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I went in and loved it. I was nervous because i was in the theater that had the
"DOLBY ATMOS" experience.

The seats rummbled hardcore anytime action was going on.....and if my frame data is correct it results in 'desensitization' so if a real threat were to emerge in that theater, I may have not reacted to it right away. Resulting in much recover frames:(

Good thing was I went several days after initial release.

My favorite part was his dance moves on the stairs right before he went to the show!!! Great scene showing that he was probably feeling happy for once!
The garbage media propaganda that there was going to be a potential threat of a shooting was bullshit. There was no reason to spread that ridiculous rhetoric, it was fear mongering at its worse. It’s almost as if they WANTED something to happen so there would be a juicy story. The MSM continues to prove how pathetic they are. Sorry it effected you, probably did for others as well.

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: ProbablyMinus
The garbage media propaganda that there was going to be a potential threat of a shooting was bullshit. There was no reason to spread that ridiculous rhetoric, it was fear mongering at its worse. It’s almost as if they WANTED something to happen so there would be a juicy story. The MSM continues to prove how pathetic they are. Sorry it effected you, probably did for others as well.
And thats the thing nobody should feel like that going to see a movie. Petty stuff for views this day in age.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
Ive had a strong dislike of hollywood for a good few years now but this movie really impressed . Also realised im probably slightly mentally unhinged as i related to this character quite a bit :coffee: