What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage Pre-Release General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slymind

Noob
I've been playing with Johnny Cage the last 3 days, who still doesn't have the game might be interested in knowing that:

- All his normals are - on block or leave him at neutral. His d3 is the only exception, +1 on block.
- His charged b2 in the A-list variation (and all the other charged normals, like f3[4]) is not ublockable, just +1 on block.
- Ex Forceball is +5 on block.
- He has a great overhead but lacks a low starter, no 50-50 for him after knockdowns or nutpunch.
- His combo damage using A-List and Fisticuffs is on average 30-35 % with 1 bar midscreen, 35-40 % with 1 bar in the corner.
- His flipkick is heavily punishable. JC doesn't have any good wake up option.

It's obviously too early to judge but to me he doesn't look good at the moment, lacks a lot of stuff that the other characters have, and his pressure game doesn't exist anymore.
If you have any question about him I'll try to answer you soon.
While it's too early from all the videos i saw it seemed that he indeed lost his pressure from MK9, how is the recovery on his projectiles at least?

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
How is it that the only two characters I want to use are the only two characters people are already saying suck?(Johnny/Raiden) Is he plus when charge canceling in A list? So his pokes are negative but what about his strings? I won't even use him if he doesn't have good pressure anymore.
His strings are neutral or negative too.
When cancelling from A List he looks plus, but I need to test more. I'm suspecting him to have an infinite btw, but I don't have the execution to pull it off at the moment. From A-List, f3[4]xxdash,f3[4]xxdash is combo, so maybe it can be an infinite. Same goes for 12[1]xxdash,12.

edit: it really looks like an infinite lol

While it's too early from all the videos i saw it seemed that he indeed lost his pressure from MK9, how is the recovery on his projectiles at least?
His projectile is -10, and on whiff is super punishable

Last edited:

Epy69zSmallBoys

No respect for Kung Jin
Can we sticky a Cage combo thread? And a tec one while we are at it, and if we could get screen shots of his frame data that would be amazing. I am entered in a local tourny tomorrow and plan on using cage and would love all the help I can get to prepare because I'm going in cold.

Epy69zSmallBoys

No respect for Kung Jin
OH! and you can combo after x-ray again lol, rc right after the xray finishes and do f3 nut punch. Im going to test and see if I can find more off xray
How does his X-ray hit? Low,High, Overhead? Also is the nutpunch finally a low in this game? What is his go to overhead? Any 50/50s?

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
How does his X-ray hit? Low,High, Overhead? Also is the nutpunch finally a low in this game? What is his go to overhead? Any 50/50s?
His x-ray is a overhead, his np is a mid, go to overhead is f24(its neutral on block and also his primary combo starter), no 50/50s, think more mk9 smoke he has a great overhead so he mixs you up with throws d3(8f low +1 on block +16 on hit) and his d4 (10f low 0 on block 22 on hit). He is really solid, but if you want to play more of a mix up pressure monster I say find someone else(cassie plays like mk9 johnny) in this game hes all about footsies and proper guesses

Epy69zSmallBoys

No respect for Kung Jin
His x-ray is a overhead, his np is a mid, go to overhead is f24(its neutral on block and also his primary combo starter), no 50/50s, think more mk9 smoke he has a great overhead so he mixs you up with throws d3(8f low +1 on block +16 on hit) and his d4 (10f low 0 on block 22 on hit). He is really solid, but if you want to play more of a mix up pressure monster I say find someone else(cassie plays like mk9 johnny) in this game hes all about footsies and proper guesses
Thanks for the info! I saw his fisticuffs variation and was very interested, especially the move (idk the inputs) where he just one-two punches indefinitely. I'm playing a tourny tonight and plan to use that variation so any help you could offer would be appreciated, I basically only played Cage in MK9 so if some of those inputs are the same I think I'll be okay.

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
I mean in the pressure sense, has good reaching normals(johnny can do f3 np in this game but you cant hitconfirm it you have to commit) while cassie has some of those f33b3 mix ups with her normals. Spec Ops is relally good, she gets great advantage with the missiles(kinda like mk9 ex forceballs) cage only gets +5 on his, so its enough for up close advantage but you cant use it to get in for free

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Wow, the more I'm hearing about this, the more I wanna check out Cassie as well. Thanks for the info.

So many characters have my attention this time around.

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
doesnt build meter(unless its a chargable special move). So far you can charge Nut Punch, Shadow Kick, Flip Kick, the last hit of 121, the follow up 4 to f3, and I think thats it

Slymind

Noob
doesnt build meter(unless its a chargable special move). So far you can charge Nut Punch, Shadow Kick, Flip Kick, the last hit of 121, the follow up 4 to f3, and I think thats it
So, you could keep faking a shadow kick for instance to build meter?

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
So, you could keep faking a shadow kick for instance to build meter?
you can try, dashing out of the kick eats up stamina, back dashing eats up half your stamina and dashing forward eats alittle less than that, but you have to consider that when your stamina is halfway you cant run anymore. And backdashing has invincibility frames, so if you use your stamina for that you make yourself open to pressure and the opponent running in

Slymind

Noob
you can try, dashing out of the kick eats up stamina, back dashing eats up half your stamina and dashing forward eats alittle less than that, but you have to consider that when your stamina is halfway you cant run anymore. And backdashing has invincibility frames, so if you use your stamina for that you make yourself open to pressure and the opponent running in
Oh right, stamina, i forgot you need it to dash as well.

Well, here waiting for some high level JC gameplay as soon as possible, can't wait to see the tech people will find.

Tenryuga

Ball Buster
Hi; Someone mentioned Cages pressure is like smokes now? Could anyone elaborate on what that means or was this pretty much it:

If so I can get behind this. This is my first time getting into MK and I heard that in MK9 Cage was a pressure / frame trap monster. So Cassie have that style now?

Status
Not open for further replies.