What's new

General/Other - Jax Jax General Discussion

Northern Slasher

Heads or Tails X
Ive just come to say that Im officialy dropping this shitty online character his execution online is wayyyy to strict to keep pressure going, hes shit in midscreen, punish combos are straight plain shitty, his b43 is too predictable, his overhead range sucks and overhead combos are wack, his d12 is useless and unsafe, His best normals are f21 and 1,1. His zoning game is weak, subzero DESTROYS this character. The only thing hes got going for him is his corner game. Do I sound salty or do I sound SALLTYYYY. Im official going to the darkside and saying F it , Quan Chi summoner here I come baby.
Enjoy Quan while he lasts. I have a strong feeling he will be the first to get nerfed.

Ive just come to say that Im officialy dropping this shitty online character his execution online is wayyyy to strict to keep pressure going, hes shit in midscreen, punish combos are straight plain shitty, his b43 is too predictable, his overhead range sucks and overhead combos are wack, his d12 is useless and unsafe, His best normals are f21 and 1,1. His zoning game is weak, subzero DESTROYS this character. The only thing hes got going for him is his corner game. Do I sound salty or do I sound SALLTYYYY. Im official going to the darkside and saying F it , Quan Chi summoner here I come baby.
Jax is one of the best in the game just take time to master mid screen

The Slaj Jazz

TIckle my sweet salty nips
Blasphemer..

Voodoo

Smack it up, flip it and rub it down.
Honestly, the mid screen isn't THAT hard to hit, even online. Just gotta train that muscle memory.

eNARV

Capital Punishment
Ok I changed my m. I decided to stay with my hubby Jax I just need to change alot of strings up with more high lows and rocket canceling. I will never leave you again baby <3

eNARV

Capital Punishment
But GM subzero still demolishes this character and im still pissed about it. Anybody know a gm subzero counter????

Chrishaspads

Name isn't Chris, Doesn't have pads
Haven't messed around with cod jax. So with his LAW cancels, are they like scorpion cancels where you combo off of them? Or do they just keep jax safe and you mix your opponent up with them.
Also, what strings are best for law cancels

Vjeekes

DevilApes
guys, I used to main Jax in MK9, he was ROCK!! Now I want to try out Jax in mkx, but not sure in what variation i should spend my prescious time. Can anyone please tell me the differences or refer me to the correct page? Cant find variation discussion

Thx in advance

Bender

Product Manager. xBone tag: I3end3r.
guys, I used to main Jax in MK9, he was ROCK!! Now I want to try out Jax in mkx, but not sure in what variation i should spend my prescious time. Can anyone please tell me the differences or refer me to the correct page? Cant find variation discussion

Thx in advance
All three are really good. His pumped up and wrestler have a good projectile (hits high) that is +7 or 8 on block (good for pressure)

Pumped Up probably has the best anti zoning tools and mid screen combos.

Wrestler has unblockable grabs that can work well with pressure and d1/ d3 on block. He also has an air grab (kinda nice) and some new strings

Heavy weapons (my fav) has a rocket launcher that is great for zoning in certain match ups. More importantly it is +1 on cancel and allows extended pressure/ combos. He also has a machine gun that is decent zoning tool/ anti air or he can shoot an up rocket.

HateMe!

Noob
Is it just me, or he's only slightly less gimmicky as he was in MK9? Small characters could just crouch without blocking vs. him all day, his overheads were slow as fuck and easily blocked on reaction once you got used to them.

f+2,1; 1,1 and d+1,2 seem to be his only strings that are safe when cancelled into something on block, everything else gets blown up by d+1's or armored specials, you can crouch without blocking under first hit of 1 or just d+1 it, and d+1,2 by itself is punishable as hell on block. To get decent midscreen damage you have to commit to risky 50/50s which are not in your favor - You have to go 1,2 (3) into EX Overhead Punch, and if they block it you're getting a full combo in your face and lose a meter as well. Gotcha is -3 on block which pretty much stops his offense vs. decent players.
His corner game is legit good though; RIP GP resets. ;_;7

I don't play online at all; dudes I play with started crouching without block and using way more d+1s or armoring through my mixups and suddenly Jax doesn't feel that strong. It's either get them to the corner and fuck shit up, or get owned by Kung Jin/Raiden, kappa.

Northern Slasher

Heads or Tails X
Is it just me, or he's only slightly less gimmicky as he was in MK9? Small characters could just crouch without blocking vs. him all day, his overheads were slow as fuck and easily blocked on reaction once you got used to them.

f+2,1; 1,1 and d+1,2 seem to be his only strings that are safe when cancelled into something on block, everything else gets blown up by d+1's or armored specials, you can crouch without blocking under first hit of 1 or just d+1 it, and d+1,2 by itself is punishable as hell on block. To get decent midscreen damage you have to commit to risky 50/50s which are not in your favor - You have to go 1,2 (3) into EX Overhead Punch, and if they block it you're getting a full combo in your face and lose a meter as well. Gotcha is -3 on block which pretty much stops his offense vs. decent players.
His corner game is legit good though; RIP GP resets. ;_;7

I don't play online at all; dudes I play with started crouching without block and using way more d+1s or armoring through my mixups and suddenly Jax doesn't feel that strong. It's either get them to the corner and fuck shit up, or get owned by Kung Jin/Raiden, kappa.
That's basically it. Once people figure out Jax's braindead midscreen pressure it's a very uphill battle. Honestly i've been relying alot on Jax's zoning... Its extremely strong in each variation and shouldn't be overlooked. It forces some very punishable mistakes out of opponents. Yes his corner game is MONSTROUS but I feel like with almost every character having a armored wakeup and interactables in the corner to get out, the odds aren't so much in his favour anymore.

I'm going to continue to always play Jax with that being said, but I feel your pain.

Bender

That's basically it. Once people figure out Jax's braindead midscreen pressure it's a very uphill battle. Honestly i've been relying alot on Jax's zoning... Its extremely strong in each variation and shouldn't be overlooked. It forces some very punishable mistakes out of opponents. Yes his corner game is MONSTROUS but I feel like with almost every character having a armored wakeup and interactables in the corner to get out, the odds aren't so much in his favour anymore.

I'm going to continue to always play Jax with that being said, but I feel your pain.
I think he's quite strong. Still getting the hang of him, but you also have a lot of options at mid screen. Obviously if you just keep going F21, d12, you deserve to lose. After a F21, you can grab, or crossover, or throw a random MB overhead once your opponent starts expecting the low poke. Or just block if you expect your opponent to armor lol. I believe his F3 jumps over pokes as well if your opponent is playing their own game of footsies. As you mentioned, he has great zoning, and most of his combos get the opponent in the corner. His rocket cancel is really really good to boot. I think he is arguably top 5 and almost for sure top 10

Northern Slasher

Heads or Tails X
I think he's quite strong. Still getting the hang of him, but you also have a lot of options at mid screen. Obviously if you just keep going F21, d12, you deserve to lose. After a F21, you can grab, or crossover, or throw a random MB overhead once your opponent starts expecting the low poke. Or just block if you expect your opponent to armor lol. I believe his F3 jumps over pokes as well if your opponent is playing their own game of footsies. As you mentioned, he has great zoning, and most of his combos get the opponent in the corner. His rocket cancel is really really good to boot. I think he is arguably top 5 and almost for sure top 10
Stop. He is NOT Top 5 and that needs to be stop being thrown around. He is not above Sub Zero, Erron Black, Quan Chi, Scorpion, or Kung Jin. Top 10 perhaps but not Top 5.

Jax just requires work to work well (obviously), just don't expect an auto pilot character. The only thing I find deflating is that Kung Jin nearly matches our corner damage off of NJP2.

Also... being a rushdown/pressure character you want to learn to watch your opponents meter and bait those armored wakeups. MOST are very unsafe on block, and almost will always be used to get out of a corner once you drop 50% on him.

Bender

Stop. He is NOT Top 5 and that needs to be stop being thrown around. He is not above Sub Zero, Erron Black, Quan Chi, Scorpion, or Kung Jin. Top 10 perhaps but not Top 5.

Jax just requires work to work well (obviously), just don't expect an auto pilot character. The only thing I find deflating is that Kung Jin nearly matches our corner damage off of NJP2.

Also... being a rushdown/pressure character you want to learn to watch your opponents meter and bait those armored wakeups. MOST are very unsafe on block, and almost will always be used to get out of a corner once you drop 50% on him.
I said it was arguable. Other than KJ, Quan, and Grandmaster, I don't really know who else I'd place in my top 5. Jax could take one of those spots IMO. It's too early to tell. I recently played Forever King's commando Kano and he was filthy with him and he said he might put him in his top 5. Personally, my last two slots would go to full auto Jackie and Inferno Scorpion, but it's really hard to know right now. Most of the cast has one variation that contends.

Anyway, my only point is that Jax is strong and well rounded through all aspects of the game (zoning, mixup, corner, pressure, wakeups, anti air, etc.). There aren't any MU's I feel are worse than 4 - 6. That said, he is not an easy character to pick up. If I fell like playing braindead and winning, I'm playing a different character.

Hi,
I have trouble performing wake-up attacks with down in their motion. I often get delayed wake-up instead of the special move. Is there a trick to getting the wake-up attack more consistently?

BookBurning

Voidwards

His mid screen pressure isn't gimmicky, it's incredibly safe and nearly all his strings have a way to push them in the corner. If they start armoring out of it, then it just becomes a mind game, bait the armor. I think he has some of the best midscreen pressure in the game. But I want to notate 'pressure.'

It's not the same as getting hit by Scorpion and then sucked into a vortex.