What's new

Guide - A-List Jaggeds A-list help for beginners to JC

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
I have been fooling around with johnny cage for some time now, ive logged in many hours in practice with A-list JC.

here is what i have found about him so far:

So Johnny Cage is an offensive frame trap monster(specifically in A-List), just like mk9 he has alot of great normals and strings that are neutral on block due to SKRC, but the stars of his arsenal are his d3(i use it for conditioning them to block low) his d4(very deceptive hitbox, also lowers his hurtbox so it can be used to low profile normals, jump ins, etc) both of these are very plus on hit so they can be used as a way to get in for your mix ups, his go to footsies tools are f24(overhead launcher that is safe on block) f4(safe launcher) and f34(safe on block against most of the cast and has very good reach). His main anti-airs are Standing 1 (9frame anti crossover)into either F3 or F24,D1.
d2(very good hitbox just like in mk9 and can be followed up with a f3 knee in the corner off an anti-air) and f4(has tighter timing to beat anti-airs than d2 but can be followed up with a f24 D1(or 12 if your execution is decent) into f3xx nut punch(it would be wise to note his BD3 can be hit confirmed into EX quite easily and that it can mix up opponents very well, as well as make any string safe on block).

Kinda like smoke in mk9 his pressure is more around making your opponent fear your overhead so condition them with throws, d3 and d4. If you have meter you can confirm f24 on block into ex forceballs(+5 on block) so you can get a free d1 check right after, once they respect the d1 be sure to follow with a f24 or a d3 rinse and repeat.

Once you have your opponent to scared to mash out be sure to abuse 113 and 11 > f24 to mix them up, 11 starts as a high so it wont really work effectively until they respect your f24. In A-list and Fisticuffs his forceballs have very fast recovery so they make for good full screen pressure so in an ideal situation you can zone with forceballs and Shadow Kick, and when they try to get in space them out with d4 and f3 into whatever offense you want to get going,

We can't forget his SKRC/FKRC (also notible is his 12 (HOLD1)RC)
can put your opponent in a Blockstun nightmare, abuse these tactics.

use 11 which is +2 on block into DB4 or BF4 into RC(run Cancel) and follow up with either low or high pressure, or you could repeat by using 12(1) cancel again!

well thats the basic jist of how johnny cage works in my mind

Fell free to post tech, combos, videos, strategy, or anything pertaining to Alist Johnny Cage.

Last edited:

boy_wunda

birdie boys unite
After a nut punch I like to use 11 skrc, from there you can either go into your low or overhead mix up, or, if the opponent is blocking (or in chip range), you can go for a good amount of chip using 11 skrc 333 skrc 214

Last edited:

MadeOfMetal

His uppercut is horrible, as is his d3.

The only use for d3 is to keep them close on hit.
they work fine for me

maybe you got the timing wrong, the hitbox on it is unusual, so it requires a specific timing just like his S1 for anti airs.

MadeOfMetal

He's just trying to get his name out there as a tech monster Scott which is why he makes a thread a day. No shame in that I guess. :DOGE
i dont think i have even posted a tech thread at all, so how so?

i do appreciate you trying to discredit my threads before they even start, much obliged;)

Last edited:

Wigy

There it is...
they work fine for me

maybe you got the timing wrong, the hitbox on it is unusual, so it requires a specific timing just like his S1 for anti airs.
His uppercut is good for crossovers.
But It has barely any horizontal hitbox.

I'm not mistiming. It might work, likelihood is you're playing people who catalogue their jump ins.

If you wana see a good uppercut go play jax predator or d'vora. JCs is sub average

MadeOfMetal

His uppercut is good for crossovers.
But It has barely any horizontal hitbox.

I'm not mistiming. It might work, likelihood is you're playing people who catalogue their jump ins.

If you wana see a good uppercut go play jax predator or d'vora. JCs is sub average
i normally dont use uppercut for anti airs against most of the cast, i use standing 1 most of the time, because i can get at average 32% off it, but id say his uppercut is average

D1 frames are superior to d3's in every way. D3 has better range, but outside d1's range, I normally just hit d4.

Maybe you could explain to us why you think d3 is so good?

MadeOfMetal

D1 frames are superior to d3's in every way. D3 has better range, but outside d1's range, I normally just hit d4.

Maybe you could explain to us why you think d3 is so good?
well its meh but after a blockstun its pretty viable to keep them close to start another OH, i just use the D3 to condition since his 113 is hella negative on block

boy_wunda

birdie boys unite
His d1 is superior when it comes to frames. However, his d4 is superior when it comes to baiting out a whiff punish (hit them with the d4, move forward slightly, then punish with f3) which imo is really what Johnny is all about, especially in A List. Despite all that, I still find it far fetched to say that d4 is a top 5 poke in the game (as numerous people have stated), but maybe I'm delusional lol

boy_wunda

birdie boys unite
How do you do a F3(4) RC? online? its hard. Any tricks
Just go into practice mode until you get the muscle memory down. If you need to, look at the controller to build the muscle memory. Do f3, hold 4, forward forward r2 and just keep doing that over and over again until it becomes second nature

MadeOfMetal

@ESG Jagged I don't mean to be discouraging, but all of this is week 2 stuff really. There isn't a need to post a thread about it now really.
i know im late to the party, but i feel there is no love for jc, despite his wiffs, lack of lows, lack of njp, jip's i still think he can be a force to be rekoned with, and id like to see him used more online and at locals

MadeOfMetal

How do you do a F3(4) RC? online? its hard. Any tricks
im sorry, i don't know what your online is like but mine is terrible! i can't react to anything, im basically atanding there watching the same move preformed on me over and over untill i shut off the consol.

online is garbage, and if there is even 6 frame lag that takes away the main funcion of the game. reaction, placement, combos, oki setup, Blocking. none of this works when lag is a factor, the sad thing is, lag on mkx can be one sided or one can have considerable differentiating lag than the other you are playing

i know im late to the party, but i feel there is no love for jc, despite his wiffs, lack of lows, lack of njp, jip's i still think he can be a force to be rekoned with, and id like to see him used more online and at locals
We've all had that feeling when we fall in love with a character and we're overcome by how we want to shout loud to the world about how awesome the character is. A-list Johnny is an incredibly fun, rewarding an under rated character, so that probably goes double for someone who's just discovered him.

Having said that, I think that the Cage forums are a little messy. When I picked up Cage two months ago, I found myself having to sift through a lot of stuff to find optimal strats and combos (most people can't even agree on what's the optimal set play after a nut punch, lol)

If you really wanna shout to the world about, A-list Johnny, maybe its time to start a living guide? I'm sure there are lots of awesome posters here to help. All we need is someone to maintain the front page.

MadeOfMetal

We've all had that feeling when we fall in love with a character and we're overcome by how we want to shout loud to the world about how awesome the character is. A-list Johnny is an incredibly fun, rewarding an under rated character, so that probably goes double for someone who's just discovered him.

Having said that, I think that the Cage forums are a little messy. When I picked up Cage two months ago, I found myself having to sift through a lot of stuff to find optimal strats and combos (most people can't even agree on what's the optimal set play after a nut punch, lol)

If you really wanna shout to the world about, A-list Johnny, maybe its time to start a living guide? I'm sure there are lots of awesome posters here to help. All we need is someone to maintain the front page.
i agree, i was just making a quick go to thread for the beginners of JC Alist. i noticed in alot of the threads, there where many questions about him unanswered. these new commers probably feel like there is no hope for the character, i know i did, i quickly past over him at the start.

with the living guide, i hope someone does this, i don't feel that im the best person to do this sort of thing, i am nowhere near the best Johnny anything, i just play him for the fun of it.

i hope one of the johnny pros makes a living guide... that would help everyone pick him up in their own way.
@KHAOTIC iDante1
what do you think, do you know anyone who could make a living guide?

Last edited: