What's new

It would cost $6,440 to unlock all content in MK11. This is not OK.

Syd Barrett Lives

Italian Psychopath
Technically, we could eventually make a list of all the chests and their price and content. Since they are all fixed, you could look up the skin in the list, then look for a chest with the same value. But thats tedious with 600+ chests.

True, but do you realize how insane that sounds just to unlock a skin in a fighting game? And that's mentioning only the Krypt, all the rest is locked behind other RNG mechanics in the Towers.

This system is clearly designed to be a slog and a grind, no doubt about it. If it is just to keep players engaged or to force them into MTX well, that's a personal opinion.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Krypt is half the problem. There are some time towers that can’t be beaten without materials. I’ve beaten MK9 and X ladder on expert but this shit is ridiculous. The AI has support that takes away half your hp with a clean hit and for absolutely ZERO reason you deal little damage to the fucker. They basically brought levels back from I2 with small differences

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
Boon's tweet is somewhat baffling. I mean, anyone with a calculator can come to the same figure of $6,440, or close to it.

60 skins per character x 25 characters = 1,500 skins

Each skin costs 500 Krystals x 1,500 skins = 750,000 krystals needed.

100 packs of the 5,600 krystals gives you 560,000 krystals (not even enough to buy all the skins).

100 packs x $50 a pack = $5,000.

So, for $5,000, you get enough krystals to buy 1,120 skins out of 1,500.

Granted, you'd have to wait a looong time for every skin to rotate through the store at some point, but assuming you did, it would very much cost you in excess of $5k to outright purchase all of them.

I mean, look, I usually give NRS and Boon the benefit of the doubt. Fuck, I outright defended the MTX's before we knew more about them. But this tweet makes me feel queasy. Rather than acknowledge the math and own up to it, it's like they're doubling down on trying to discredit it :confused:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of the numbers. I would love to be wrong, and I'm no mathematician, but this seems like pretty simple stuff to independently verify. :/

And yes, I highly doubt anyone would spend that kind of cash versus just grinding through the krypt to get most of the skins. But the fact that the content does cost X amount via real world cash if you go that route, and the developers basically says "nope" to such a black & white figure, is slightly mind boggling. It's math, not philosophy. Just own up to it and be done with it and move on.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
This equation is completely irrelevant because you can only buy 3 skins every 24 hours. It would take you well over a year to PAY for every skin in the game with real money. Meaning your entire existence in MK11 would have to be you logging in for 3 minutes just to pay for 3 skins, because otherwise anything else you do in the game will unlock them.

Stop acting like this is predatory, it's just incompetence on their part. They weren't being evil

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
This equation is completely irrelevant because you can only buy 3 skins every 24 hours. It would take you well over a year to PAY for every skin in the game with real money. Meaning your entire existence in MK11 would have to be you logging in for 3 minutes just to pay for 3 skins, because otherwise anything else you do in the game will unlock them.

Stop acting like this is predatory, it's just incompetence on their part. They weren't being evil
I feel like you didn't read the whole post.

Scyther said:
And yes, I highly doubt anyone would spend that kind of cash versus just grinding through the krypt to get most of the skins. But the fact that the content does cost X amount via real world cash if you go that route, and the developers basically says "nope" to such a black & white figure, is slightly mind boggling. It's math, not philosophy. Just own up to it and be done with it and move on.
I never said they were being predatory. I said their denial of the equation / cost is baffling, borderline stupid, since you can so easily verify it yourself.

I also said that it would be highly unlikely for anyone to actually wait for the skins to rotate through the store (greater than a year wait time). -.-

None of that excuses a dev basically putting two fingers in their ears and humming a song to ignore the cold, hard math. :/

I do not believe this was intended to be predatory. I believe they're just being dumb about how they respond it. Just acknowledge that yes, it does cost that much to unlock everything, but if you grind for it, you can achieve the same thing (hopefully).

I think we can consider The Krypt chests as lootboxes. Yes the content is fixed but the order is completely random. You don't know what do you buy. The system is made so you have to spend the most time possible looking for the content you're interested in. And they filled half of the Krypt with augments, konsommables, and variation icons (which only exist for that purpose) into 10.000+ koins chests to make the make grind for content frustrating to the point where some players would just buy micro transactions to get the skin they wanted (and already bought with the game).
And I'm not even talking about the slot machine Shrine near the Dragon Amulet door.

Yes they patched it, is it better now ? Of course. Does it make it right ? Absolutely not. I hope people won't forget that cheap move from WB/NRS and won't be bribed with the 1000 time crystals. I've seen people praising NRS for patching it. DON'T. We shouldn't thank NRS for the fix, NRS should apologize for releasing such a dishonest system that they had to patch it to save the game from the negative critics and try to keep their playerbase.

Also, Ed's tweet is not professional at all, instead of mocking the reddit user that posted the thread and using his story as a "fake news shield" (without any proofs, while the reddit user just did maths from checkable informations for everybody that bought the game). While he did an approximation with the 56 skins unlockable from the store (the number of purchasable skins is slightly lower per character), let's not forget he just mentionned the skins. Because you can also purchase intros/outros with that system... And one intro is 7.50$ worth of micro transactions. So yes, Ed Boon is right in his tweet, the $6.440 is wrong, because with the intros, it would probably take more than $6.440 worth of micro transactions to unlock everything.

Boon has spoken, he didn't have to be professional I'm sure they're frustrated by the constant low user scores for a stupid tower ending that's not canon.
He has to be professional, what kind of company representative mocks one of his customer like this ? Either he adresses the issue without mentioning the user or if he does he has to respect him, even if the user trashes talk his product.
And what's that story about the tower ending ? I heard nothing about that.

kantboy-2

Ripper
There's 6 or 7 actual skins, not 60 + and they're not that different from each other compared to MKX.

Alternate colors are not 'skins.'

Intros, outtros, fatalities and brutalities should be on static locations for EVERYONE. Some people just want to have fun with their mains and don't really have that much free time for the random grind.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
He has to be professional, what kind of company representative mocks one of his customer like this ? Either he adresses the issue without mentioning the user or if he does he has to respect him, even if the user trashes talk his product.
And what's that story about the tower ending ? I heard nothing about that.
He's not mocking, he said it wasn't true and the info was false. I mean if that person is offended perhaps they should grow thicker skin, as Sonya would say.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I've cooled down a bit on this. One of the things that seems clear is that I don't think NRS intended someone to pay to unlock everything, especially not piecemeal like the $6K figure equates to.

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
This outcry is never going away lmfao :rolleyes: It doesn't matter what they do. People are so used to the the precedent that they will always and forever see this in the same light. "NRS? Pfff more like, uh, EARS?... Wait that spells ears... Uhh MK11 is just as bad as Battlefront 2!" Yes, let's compare a game where, in order to PROGRESS YOUR ABILITY TO PLAY THE GAME WELL AGAINST OTHER PLAYERS, you had to play a glorified roulette wheel with fixed bets and no guarantee of payout. Toooo.... Some really difficult sometimes impossible (Not anymore) towers with consumables you have to acquire in-game, and a huge massive time sink of a Krypt with one vendor that you can spend money at to buy a couple cosmetics... All of this while highly desirable, is ultimately cosmetic and optional if you want to spend the three years it takes to unlock everything.

He's not mocking, he said it wasn't true and the info was false. I mean if that person is offended perhaps they should grow thicker skin, as Sonya would say.
Mocking because he makes him look like a fool that makes false reports and accusations.
He's probably not offended, I mean you have to be made of glass for being offended by this lol. And the majority of the players agree with him, so he probably doesn't care. I'm just saying that Boon is acting unprofessionally to react that way. He either acts like he's sorry because "it wasn't their intentions" bullshit or he doesn't react at all. Boon here is just lying (again) and accuses someone of being a liar

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Mocking because he makes him look like a fool that makes false reports and accusations.
He's probably not offended, I mean you have to be made of glass for being offended by this lol. And the majority of the players agree with him, so he probably doesn't care. I'm just saying that Boon is acting unprofessionally to react that way. He either acts like he's sorry because "it wasn't their intentions" bullshit or he doesn't react at all. Boon here is just lying (again) and accuses someone of being a liar
Well he did spread misinformation that got everyone mad, so yeah, being called out is perfectly fine. The worst part is we didn't even check this info so you know, it's on us too.