What's new

It would cost $6,440 to unlock all content in MK11. This is not OK.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Well he did spread misinformation that got everyone mad, so yeah, being called out is perfectly fine. The worst part is we didn't even check this info so you know, it's on us too.
Yeah, I feel like I got caught up and overreacted.

∆Venus

fighters are a freaking blast!
tbh, on its own I am fine with the grind for these items. I actually find exploring the krypt and busting open a couple dozen chests every few hours fun, and I may be alone in that; this is okay. What irritates me is that P2 doesn't have access to P1's cosmetic items and variations.

I have friends who relented and bought, or agreed to play, MK11 to get into fighting games, on the basis that they wanted to customize their prospective mains to reflect their personality and how they desire to play. This customization, albeit more the abilities than the skins and gear, is a huge marketing bullet point for the game, and there's an interlocking series of systems that prevent players from enjoying that. Moreover, if I want to play locally on one system while giving my partner or our guests the option to make their own variations for casual play, I have to endure the grind across two separate accounts. Not having a static/uniform krypt makes this a more tedious and aggravating process than it needs to be!

My partner and I wanted to really hit the lab, play a ton of online and local matches, and bask in a feeling of competitive growth, however small. What we've done instead is invest time and energy into a Towers of Time grind that seldom rewards decent play, so we can be given table scraps of customization. That's without even getting into how this is all for naught anyway as competitive play has its own tourney standard variations and a randomized gear toggle. The game's implementation of all this just feels so diametrically opposed to its own aims and the experience people were sold. As a fighting game player, I'm smitten with MK11. As someone who likes personalization, I feel like I'm being told at every juncture to fuck myself.

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
Well he did spread misinformation that got everyone mad, so yeah, being called out is perfectly fine. The worst part is we didn't even check this info so you know, it's on us too.
I just checked it. The math adds up.

Now, it's fine if all the skins aren't unlockable via the in-game store. And the right way to go about relaying that is to say, "hey, yeah, it would cost that much if everything was rotating through the store, but it's not." Boon just needed to acknowledge that and clarify that everything isn't for sale. Instead we got a condescending tweet that completely ignores the monetary value of the game's content.

And again, I'm not saying that someone is going to sit there and buy all the content over the course of years, or that NRS is being predatory, because they're not.

What they are being is tone deaf and dismissive, which is their right...but that doesn't mean it's a good business practice.

NRS is a good company, so I don't see why the co-creator of the series is being so beligerant. All he had to do is acknowledge it, and politely debunk it with information we didn't have (all skins are not purchasable). Instead he came off as an arrogant asshat, sadly. :/

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up

Now, it's fine if all the skins aren't unlockable via the in-game store. And the right way to go about relaying that is to say, "hey, yeah, it would cost that much if everything was rotating through the store, but it's not." Boon just needed to acknowledge that and clarify that everything isn't for sale. Instead we got a condescending tweet that completely ignores the monetary value of the game's content.

And again, I'm not saying that someone is going to sit there and buy all the content over the course of years, or that NRS is being predatory, because they're not.

What they are being is tone deaf and dismissive, which is their right...but that doesn't mean it's a good business practice.

NRS is a good company, so I don't see why the co-creator of the series is being so beligerant. All he had to do is acknowledge it, and politely debunk it with information we didn't have (all skins are not purchasable). Instead he came off as an arrogant asshat, sadly. :/
I personally think it's good to see him act like a human being. Little bit of anger coming out in that tweet. A bit of emotion. A reminder that he isn't some soulless MK pumping machine that's only purpose in life is to make these games for us to criticize and enjoy simultaneously. It has to hurt to see something as important to you as MK11 get absolutely shit-mixed with this slanderous misinformation and false narrative talk.

I feel like he was pretty restrained considering the circumstances.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
We were all really frustrated with the product we got at launch, and when we saw that post we flipped our shit. It's fine, I'm sure the person who made that thread also overreacted. But NRS came through, I'm happy with how the towers are at right now.
Short version, what did they change? I'm not going to be able to play for a few days.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator

The problem is, you can't BUY all the skins in-game or the gear. You can only get the ones that are available in the store by using the currency you get in the game. Sure you can BUY that currency, but why buy it when you can unlock it while playing? Everything is unlockable through just playing and that's fine with me, especially now since the towers are actually playable and fun.

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
I personally think it's good to see him act like a human being. Little bit of anger coming out in that tweet. A bit of emotion. A reminder that he isn't some soulless MK pumping machine that's only purpose in life is to make these games for us to criticize and enjoy simultaneously. It has to hurt to see something as important to you as MK11 get absolutely shit-mixed with this slanderous misinformation and false narrative talk.

And that's fair. Everyone is indeed human and sometimes our emotions rule us, unfortunately. ^^

Baygon

Noob
The problem is, you can't BUY all the skins in-game or the gear. You can only get the ones that are available in the store by using the currency you get in the game. Sure you can BUY that currency, but why buy it when you can unlock it while playing? Everything is unlockable through just playing and that's fine with me, especially now since the towers are actually playable and fun.
As a pvp player i should get some progress towards skins too. But im getting jack shit.

kantboy-2

Ripper
Someone on the MK reddit summed up my feelings on the matter better than I would have, so I'll share his post here;

stealthrock12 • 8h
I get what Ed Boon is saying though...

The GRATEFULNESS IN EARNING through GAMEPLAY only works if you can earn and work towards what you want.

Leaving everything to chance is just another poor excuse for more people to play the game longer. Games get their Business from PLAY TIME and PAYMENT and I get that. I just never thought that they would stick so low as to Separate Shaders and Costumes then call them all UNIQUE then package them in a platform where you get them randomly.

He's deflected the fact that Unlocking them was expensive but never really commented on the fact that the alternative is tedious, hard and somewhat unfair. 100,00 coins in MKX got me a ton of Brutalities and Fatalities...100,000 coins in MK11 got me a bunch of KONSUMABLES...come on NRS.

wired

Noob
Countless fighters have launched with serious design issues with their core gameplay (1v1). In comparison, this is all optional single player content that is fixable by NRS. I don't like the need to sync with the servers for some single player content, but I'd much rather have a game with solid mechanics that has a few single player issues

MalevolentFix

Countless fighters have launched with serious design issues with their core gameplay (1v1). In comparison, this is all optional single player content that is fixable by NRS. I don't like the need to sync with the servers for some single player content, but I'd much rather have a game with solid mechanics that has a few single player issues
Hey there we go. This is the reality of it. Also the reason for the online Krypt etc etc is because of the PC version where Trainers and Cheat Engine would give some people the ability to unlock literally everything in the game day 1

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Short version, what did they change? I'm not going to be able to play for a few days.
They said that they rushed the towers out and they were way too difficult, so most bosses instead of having 4000 health they have up to 1500, a lot of unblockable attacks are now blockable. The rate at which modifiers fly into the screen went from 5 sec to 10 sec. They're also giving us an apology gift once the big patch rolls out by the end of the week that will fix the major things. It's still challenging, I played through 8 towers yesterday, but it was a lot of fun and I unlocked like 3 cassie skins, tons of gear, 15 augment pieces and about 150k koins in that time. So it's way better imo.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
As a pvp player i should get some progress towards skins too. But im getting jack shit.
Don't you get time crystals by playing online? Which you can use to get skins too. Other MK games never gave you things for playing online, so I mean if you really want skins you have to go do some work in the towers, it's really not that long and annoying anymore.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Someone on the MK reddit summed up my feelings on the matter better than I would have, so I'll share his post here;

stealthrock12 • 8h
I get what Ed Boon is saying though...

The GRATEFULNESS IN EARNING through GAMEPLAY only works if you can earn and work towards what you want.

Leaving everything to chance is just another poor excuse for more people to play the game longer. Games get their Business from PLAY TIME and PAYMENT and I get that. I just never thought that they would stick so low as to Separate Shaders and Costumes then call them all UNIQUE then package them in a platform where you get them randomly.

He's deflected the fact that Unlocking them was expensive but never really commented on the fact that the alternative is tedious, hard and somewhat unfair. 100,00 coins in MKX got me a ton of Brutalities and Fatalities...100,000 coins in MK11 got me a bunch of KONSUMABLES...come on NRS.
Except 100,000 coins is infinitely easier to get in MK11 than MKX. This comparison is nonsensical.

Syd Barrett Lives

Italian Psychopath
Except 100,000 coins is infinitely easier to get in MK11 than MKX. This comparison is nonsensical.

Come on, you know exactly what he meant. Yeah, they're easier to earn (if you play towers, online you get jackshit) but with the same amount of coins (and/or time spent playing, whatever way you want to look at it) you unlock way, way less stuff you really want. Not to mention the other currencies...You get 1 heart per finisher and a single chest requires 250 hearts.

I get that we're all fans of MK, I really do, but we can't defend this stuff. If they messed up in good faith they'll fix it, sure, doesn't mean as it is now is fair.
Warframe is a MTX based F2P looter shooter and I swear it has a more fair and well thougth progress route.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian

I mean, this wasn't like a TYM article I wrote. These were major media outlets doing articles with the express purpose of targeting NRS (that sounds way more menacing than I mean it to, it ain't that serious). I get why Boon gave a sassy response, especially considering that there are several legitimate criticisms you can knock the game hard for. These places wanted the early scoop

MalevolentFix

I mean, this wasn't like a TYM article I wrote. These were major media outlets doing articles with the express purpose of targeting NRS (that sounds way more menacing than I mean it to, it ain't that serious). I get why Boon gave a sassy response, especially considering that there are several legitimate criticisms you can knock the game hard for. These places wanted the early scoop
Quoted for hard facts and actual independent thought instead of knee jerk crowd following.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
They said that they rushed the towers out and they were way too difficult, so most bosses instead of having 4000 health they have up to 1500, a lot of unblockable attacks are now blockable. The rate at which modifiers fly into the screen went from 5 sec to 10 sec. They're also giving us an apology gift once the big patch rolls out by the end of the week that will fix the major things. It's still challenging, I played through 8 towers yesterday, but it was a lot of fun and I unlocked like 3 cassie skins, tons of gear, 15 augment pieces and about 150k koins in that time. So it's way better imo.
You're the best, thank you so much for the clarification! Sounds much better for sure.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Some people are mad about Jax tower ending. I've already seen some people claim that "MK11 is getting all this heat because of Jax tower ending and less horny designs". Feels like a deflection to be honest. Even though I do think the controversy is a bit overblown.
The only ones crying about those topics are alt-right goons that believe review-bombing a video game will save Western society

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
Never encourage microtransactions, Instead of asking for better price you should ask for better rewards/drop rate on grinding. fair wages for fair work.

wired

Noob
DLC is good if the money helps create new content, but bad if it just ringfences the game behind an escalating paywall. Realistically theres a bit of both going on. I'm fine paying for optional costumes if I like them