What's new

Issues with Stick Layouts

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Anyone else having a hard time finding a working layout? The switch to the meter burn being activated with the interactable button has COMPLETELY messed up my layout and I don't know what to do. My layout used to be as follows for MK9 and MKX:

1 FS 2
3 BL 4

Interactable and throw didn't even need their own button because I would just push 1+2 together for INT and 1+3 together to throw. I could also easily do X-Rays because FS and BL were right next to each other. I could also meter burn easily as block was central to all other attack buttons. Here's what I've been using for MK11, that has thus far been a nightmare when it comes to triggering the Fatal Blow:

1 INT 2 FS
3 BL 4 TH

Using INT to trigger the amplify/meter burn is no big deal. I'll get used to that. My issue is triggering the Fatal Blow. Pushing block and flip stance together with this layout is a nightmare. And before you say "just move your block button", let me explain that I've been playing MK since MK1 and block has ALWAYS been in the middle. I cannot have it anywhere else. It simply doesn't work for me.

I am really hoping NRS offers some sort of double button mapping for the Fatal Blows. I have never used the throw button ONCE, so it's completely useless to me. Please NRS give us the option to have a one button Fatal Blow. I can't be the only stick player who is struggling with this change to meter burn. No fighter should require an 8 button layout. It's absurd.

At the very least, let us trigger Fatal Blow like the X-Ray's alternate input in the past (3+BL+4). Even that would be fine with me. Reaching across all those buttons to trigger such an important move is awful.

John Grizzly

One of the reasons I'm playing pad instead of stick. I tried going back to stick for this game but its uncomfortable as all hell.
I've considered it but I absolutely despise pad for fighters. It's way too late in the game for me to switch. It's all I know.

The new layout/button configs really cater to the pad player and I understand why, but us stick players need some love, as well.

Please let us map Fatal Blows to one button. I couldn't give two shits about the throw button. It's useless to me. Let me change that to Fatal Blow at the very least.

John Grizzly

Wish nrs would of gave us the option to keep the original amplify mechanic
This would also be fine. I really don't get the reasoning behind changing it to the INT button. Why not just put it back to Block as it has always been? It's totally thrown my entire game off with the new layout it requires. No combination I have come up with works for me.

John Grizzly

1+2 has always triggered interactable. We aren't talking about binding buttons - I'm saying I literally press them both at once.

My question is if I do Scorpion's spear, for example, and then hit 1+2, will it trigger the amplified version?

Hitoshura

Head Cage
1+2 has always triggered interactable. We aren't talking about binding buttons - I'm saying I literally press them both at once.

My question is if I do Scorpion's spear, for example, and then hit 1+2, will it trigger the amplified version?
It should. Try it out in the tower.

My friends have been using stick for the beta and they haven't had any problems. They only difference us that they us (3)+(4) for flipstance and use the third button on the top for interactables.

John Grizzly

It should. Try it out in the tower.

My friends have been using stick for the beta and they haven't had any problems. They only difference us that they us (3)+(4) for flipstance and use the third button on the top for interactables.
Ok, so in theory hitting 3+BL+4 would trigger the Fatal Blow just like it used to work for the X-Rays? If so, my problems would be solved.

If anyone is home with access to the beta, please check this for me. It would be greatly appreciated.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Ok, so in theory hitting 3+BL+4 would trigger the Fatal Blow just like it used to work for the X-Rays? If so, my problems would be solved.

If anyone is home with access to the beta, please check this for me. It would be greatly appreciated.
A friend of mine does hit (3)+(4)+(blk) for fatal blow. He did that for the stress test. For a second you had me worried that they took that out. Haha.

Vagrant

Noob
Block, throw, int/ex, stance

Each finger on an attack button, thumb on block. You get used to the new ex button.

Im on Hitbox. Not that it really matters.

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Yeah I was just about to comment and say as a hitbox player my layout is

1 2 A Throw

3 4 Blk SS

Feels fine like this for me. I use blk + interactable for Amplify interactable. I have a finer hovering over each button so it’s not too hard. But it did mess me up in the stress test for a bit

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
My stick layout is

1 - 2 - throw
3 - 4 - block

I use interactable and amplify with 1+2. I use fatal blow with 3 + 4 + block.
I May try this one out when I get home. Thank you for informing us that KB can be done with those shortcuts! Makes life way easier because I wanted throw right next to 2. Awesome

Wetdoba

All too easy...
1 - 2 - Block - Interact
3 - 4 - Stance - Throw

Really want to have the original amplify back though. Something like chop chop makes absolutely no sense anymore. DB3, mash 3 to continue, then switch over to mash interact to continue more instead of more 3s?

@Dizzy are there any plans to have the original unique inputs back as an option in the full game?

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
Shout outs to other Hitbox users in MK! Sweet! I tried going back to Pad for fighters but it just... I can't lol It feels so bad. Once you get the Hitbox inputs in your blood everything else just feels inefficient.

Also Hi, new here. Weird that this is the topic I first decided to pop in on right? Anyway. I use:

Block - 1 - 2 - Stance
Int/Amp - 3 - 4 - Throw

Since I can throw using 1+3, I like having my block button under my index, and the amp button is within snapping distance of my thumb. Now obviously, this makes my FB input weird right? That's a huge split. But I kind of like it because if I'm going to drop FB whether it's in a combo or as a punish it's going to be deliberate and round ending so I'm cool with actually using both hands to make one final dramatic snap on my Hitbox.