What's new

Issues with Stick Layouts

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Shout outs to other Hitbox users in MK! Sweet! I tried going back to Pad for fighters but it just... I can't lol It feels so bad. Once you get the Hitbox inputs in your blood everything else just feels inefficient.

Also Hi, new here. Weird that this is the topic I first decided to pop in on right? Anyway. I use:

Block - 1 - 2 - Stance
Int/Amp - 3 - 4 - Throw

Since I can throw using 1+3, I like having my block button under my index, and the amp button is within snapping distance of my thumb. Now obviously, this makes my FB input weird right? That's a huge split. But I kind of like it because if I'm going to drop FB whether it's in a combo or as a punish it's going to be deliberate and round ending so I'm cool with actually using both hands to make one final dramatic snap on my Hitbox.
Welcome!

Are you able to combo into FB with that layout, though? Seems really difficult. The FS and BL button are at opposite ends of the 8 button layout. Using two hands to trigger that doesn't seem conducive to combo ability.

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
Welcome!

Are you able to combo into FB with that layout, though? Seems really difficult. The FS and BL button are at opposite ends of the 8 button layout. Using two hands to trigger that doesn't seem conducive to combo ability.
Thank you!
I am yeah it's a bit of a trick but with the way that Hitbox works my left hand's fingers are never that far away from the buttons on the right side. If I were using a normal stick? I would never use this layout.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
1 2 INT
3 4 BLK

To the right of block is the other button for fatal blow. This is super intuitive to me. I also play Tekken with this layout

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Not particularly a stick player, but here's my layout for when I have played NRS-era MK on a stick at whatever point.

[INT] [1] [2] [THR]
[BLK] [3] [4] [STS]

Block being where my thumb is feels snappy, and being on the bottom row makes my finger positioning feel much less awkward. And like Dizzy, I tend to make use of the button shortcuts, so the position of the throw and stance switch buttons means little.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
What made you go to pad? Also issues with getting a workable layout?
I feel like Scarlet was simpler to play, but Kabal has a lot of intricate and long combos and it's easier on a pad everything is so close together especially the block. But yeah, having R1 and R2 replacing 1 and 3 just wasn't working at all, doing combos felt really weird.

Asov

Noob
My layout:

1 BK 2
3 FS 4

1+2 = INT and Amplify
1+3 = Throw
BK+FS = Fatal

I like block on the top row besides 1, feels more natural to me. And i like the shortcuts aligned.

BustaUppa

Westbury Nathan's 4 Life
Man I can't imagine using stick and NOT having block in the middle for an MK game. Though I understand mechanically how having the thumb positioned over it at all times could work really well.

I'd be willing to try it but I'd worry about messing up my UMK3 game too much lol

G11OST

Noob
I got a custom layout made specifically for Mortal Kombat, normal 8 buttons with an extra at the bottom left

So
1-2-throw-flipstance
3-4
Block

Use 1+2 for interact / enhance

G11OST

Noob
FFS, it did nothing in MK9.. why isn't it gone already??? LOL.

Well at least I know that if I dig out my hitbox-like MK3 controller I don't need to worry about what button to assign for that function.

Used for rolls, which is dumb should be tied to another button

I had these issues too, why don't we make a thread requesting that NRS adds the option to use Block to meter-burn/amplify IN ADDITION to using stance. It would be one thing if Block had a function during an animation but it doesn't. There was no reason to move it to Stance, BUT if they really like it for some reason, leave it, just let all the folks who've been playing since MK9 have the ability to use Block as well. What do you guys think?

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
1 Interact 2
3 Blk 4

Is my layout and it works fine. Only wish I have would be the ability to choose which double inputs are enabled/disabled. Combo'ing off of 12, 21 strings does have a tendency to trigger interactables at times if you're inputting in a hasty fashion.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Man I can't imagine using stick and NOT having block in the middle for an MK game. Though I understand mechanically how having the thumb positioned over it at all times could work really well.

I'd be willing to try it but I'd worry about messing up my UMK3 game too much lol
Exactly, dude. I simply cannot do it. it feels so incredibly wrong after playing with block in the middle since day 1.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
pretty confident im the only one with this layout
1 2 block interactable
3 4 throw flipstance

lets get weird!
I tried something similar,
R1 1 2
R2 3 4

I figured I'd like it since I put the block button where it is in DOA and SC6 but it wasn't working for me.

podizzler3000

http://streamable.com/ti5z
I tried something similar,
R1 1 2
R2 3 4

I figured I'd like it since I put the block button where it is in DOA and SC6 but it wasn't working for me.
do you use the multi button shortcuts for throw and interactable/amplify? i do for throw and think i will try to use the 1+2 for interact/amp when the full game comes out and see how it feels

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
do you use the multi button shortcuts for throw and interactable/amplify? i do for throw and think i will try to use the 1+2 for interact/amp when the full game comes out and see how it feels
Yeah when playing on stick I use 1+2, the problem I had on stick was someone the interactable was always coming out even if I made sure to really tap 2,1,2 without letting my fingers linger.