What's new

Is this the end?

So I keep hearing about how this will be the last year MK9 will be at Evo and how it should go out with a bang. Well let me tell you something. I woke up at 8 am today to watch pools. I even hooked my computer up to the big tv so i could enjoy the experience more. But today was also the day I was supposed to get my wisdom teeth removed, which meant I would miss some pools. So I get home right as top 32 is about to start with my lower lip ridiculously swollen and still half asleep from the pain killers and immediately turn the stream on. Since I just got my wisdom teeth yanked out, my mouth has been bleeding all day. But guess what? During that top 8, NOT ONCE did I get out of my seat to go spit the blood out. It was way too hype and i did not want to miss a single moment of it. Watching Detroit's insane execution, Reo running through losers, and Denzell playing the Kabal mu flawlessly has reminded me why I love this game. Even my brother, who hates any game that isn't SSBM, was watching with me and said "This is awesome". So I ask you, can we keep this game alive any longer? Can we still pull consistent numbers for majors even with Injustice? Can we get to Evo one more time? I certainly hope so, because I would hate to see the end of this game.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
I feel the same way. This game should not die in tournaments this soon. Its a great tournament game. Injustice is fine and I do like it, but it just doesn't scratch the itch the way MK does. The way I see it is even if alot of the top players stop playing competitively those who still have something to prove will remain. New blood always rises. The big question is will tourneys still host it and will people still come out. Thats why we have to keep MK relevant.

madmankiller3859

Getting back into the game.
Sure we can! We just need to do whatever we can! Delay MK10 (maybe), donate, bitch, whatever! We, the MK9 community just have to pull together, and try our hardest to get MK9 in for another year.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
MK9 won't die as long as people keep playing it, but it's pretty much done as a main EVO game I'm afraid.

The only way it could come back is if tournaments get much better numbers. And that will only happen if NRS updates it to UMK9.
MK9 was consistently 3rd largest in numbers (the games it was behind is a no brainer), after EVO 2012 even with the release of newer games right up until the release of Injustice.

Hell, even TTT2 handed everything this community has ever wanted to them, and they didn't want anything to do with it.

We should let the dust settle from EVO first and foremost, but believe me, once it does, the state of MK9's metagame is in HUGE need of a re-evaluation after this.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
It sucks but I guess our free ass community can't play 2 games simultaneously. After this EVO, I want to see more MK. It's still IMO the most fun game to watch.(I don't even watch IGAU tournies besides ECT)

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Its a hard game for me to keep wanting to play, since online is ass, and I have no one here to play it with, and the amount of glitches and shit in it are laughable, I should have counted the ones just on stream today, who knows the shit that happened off stream.

I'll wait for MK10,

And I'm really starting to enjoy Injustice, I think it will develop into a deeper game then I originally though, people just need to stop bitching and level up, or just not play it and shut up.

Mortal Kombat is very fun for me. Only recently have I come back to MK9 after playing I:GAU for a few weeks, and when I returned, I learned that I am so fucking free with all my characters, except for Kratos. The Ghost of Sparta just clicks with me so well now. My energy for MK9 has been renewed.

Kratos vs Cyrax is 6-4 in Kratos' favor.
4-6 in Cyblax's favor.

Justice

Noob
I have a funny feeling that MK will replace Injustice at next year's EVO after the reception it got this year :coffee:

As far as I'm concerned, MK is my #1 game. I'll play both but my heart truly lies with broken Kabal, braindead Kenshi, boobilicious Sonya, et al. I guess nostalgia really is a powerful thing.

The sad reality is, MK9 will now be relegated to side tournament along with classic MKs and such. It will never die per se, but we aren't gonna get the numbers we had a year ago anymore. And this makes me very sad. I think in spite of the glitches and brokenness, MK can outlast even the godlilke UMK3.

#mk4lyfe

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
Well MK is a main game at Summer Jam I believe... I'll be there and if people REALLY want to it stay alive it would be smart to show up for that one. If we do they may make it a main game for The fall classic, if they see good numbers. It's up to us.

Hruza Da Bruza

Must Mash Harder!!!!!
MK isn't going to die as long as everyone still gets together and has fun playing the game. I know Myself and a lot of the other Chicago guys still love this game and will continue to play it for that reason, It's Fun! Even if Kabal is crazy, Cyrax can do 100% resets, Kenshi kills you at any distance, and Cage kills you with just one button. It is still fun and we all love complaining about it, and debating everything about it, and love bitching about the game, But that because it is OUR game.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I ask all of u interested in this topic to please listen to upcoming episode on Kryptonite council

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
I think this game has been dead for a long time. I this community is the killer of it too. To me if looks like this community left mk in the dust along time ago in hopes for injustice. We play injustice for a bit and realize its a boring comic casual game. So now both of NRS's big titles seemed to be hated. Had people just kept playing mk despite kabal cyrax kenshi ddomination and adapted before jumping to conclusions about nerf this or that, mk9 could have possibly be a more playable condition.unfortunately injustice is going down the same road.

I was wondering why you did not go to Evo Evantabes. Was wanting to see your Rain in action.

MK is not dead. But its numbers will be low is my guess in every tournament. I won't go to a tournament that skips having MK. I was considering the Fall Classic but did not see MK in the lineup so I am skipping it.

I was playing MK Trilogy all the way up till MK9 came out.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Only reason the game is dying is cause people here are letting it die, which sucks. :( It's not that the game is old, it's just that people here think we can't play 2 different games for whatever reason.
NO ITS NOT DEAD. SF players play both UMVC and SF and some people play SFxT SF4 and UMVC. We can handle inj and MK. People lets not let MK die. MK is the most hype imo and injustice is boring. I will support inj even tho I hate it so atleast support MK people.
This. Lets all just stfu about what game we like and get back to supporting our community and NRS.

D7MHellcat

Frozen Earth
I'm with you guys. I'm not ready for this game to die. Hell I even dusted off the disc and put it in the other and hit training mode to get my groove back. my Sub-Zero is more free than ever,lol. Doesn't change the fact that I love the game.

Edit: I'm also learning the game on stick now that I have one, so theres that,lol