What's new

Is this game too easy from an execution standpoint?

Fundamentals =/= Execution

Fundamentals means knowing movement, spacing, poking, baiting, punishment, counters, mix ups, so on.

Fundamental stands for the basic, the core of the subject at hand.

The execution is what you need to optimize your net damage results and widen your options.

There are plenty of top FG players with poor execution, but great fundamentals. The reason they are successful is because of the latter not the former.
Sure!
but that is not what is was trying to say.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
So you want to make things unnecessarily complicated? Grundy already struggles against the top tier characters. No need to make him worse just because someone screwed up an input. It's your opinion though and I respect it.
You think making Grundy's grabs 180's and 360's would make him worse?? Anyone who played the char would be able to do it 10/10 times. It just wouldn't make the combos so braindead.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
I've went deep on how I felt, but the actual single special moves and normals are ok. The only thing I would change is make Grundy's chain grabs a combination of 360,180, and 90 degree motions. Down down up up is too easy for that type of damage. I'd also have supers done in traditional fashion and not the two back buttons. That might be it though.
With the exception of Superman's, Supers are irrelevant in this game.

They are just expensive 30% eye candy, not a comeback mechanic.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
With the exception of Superman's, Supers are irrelevant in this game.

They are just expensive 30% eye candy, not a comeback mechanic.
True. I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I've done supers. Just never played a game where pushing two buttons at the same time brought out a super.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Sure!
but that is not what is was trying to say.
Nevertheless execution should never be a barrier of entry to a fighting game. Instead it should reward those with the skill and dedication required.

Tekken is a great example. Players with great execution can pick up the Mishimas and similar characters and be successful. The rest of us can pick other type of characters and still be able to compete at the same level.

DangerousBacon

Mechanical Engineering Bitch!
You think making Grundy's grabs 180's and 360's would make him worse?? Anyone who played the char would be able to do it 10/10 times. It just wouldn't make the combos so braindead.
Compare pressing circle for his trait grab to doing a 360 and then pressing circle for a trait grab. Guess which one you're less likely to screw up during the heat of the battle. Grundy's trait grab combos aren't really braindead either. It's not like you can get away with just mashing the inputs. They do have a timing factor to them. Your suggestion would just make things unnecessarily complicated.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
It's too easy in the sense that the game doesn't allow you to create any cool or difficult combos. The week 1 combos are pretty much all everyone uses because the "rules" of comboing are so strict. There is so much stuff that feels and looks like it should work but doesn't because of artificial hsd or who knows what.

NoobSaibot

PSN: JP_THUNDA
I think it's fairly easy execution wise, but usually when i go to poke i get a damn special instead and it gets me blown up

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Nevertheless execution should never be a barrier of entry to a fighting game. Instead it should reward those with the skill and dedication required.

Tekken is a great example. Players with great execution can pick up the Mishimas and similar characters and be successful. The rest of us can pick other type of characters and still be able to compete at the same level.
This is kind of what I was saying earlier. Tekken is the perfect example. The top tiers in Tekken, with the exception of that ***** Lars, are all high execution/highest reward. You're rewarded for mastering Nina, Steve, a Mishima, etc. While at the same time you can be really good and enjoy the game just as much playing Jun, Chreddy, Paul, with much easier execution but they aren't as good overall. That's how it always should be.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Compare pressing circle for his trait grab to doing a 360 and then pressing circle for a trait grab. Guess which one you're less likely to screw up during the heat of the battle. Grundy's trait grab combos aren't really braindead either. It's like you can get away with just mashing the inputs. They do have a timing factor to them. Your suggestion would just make things unnecessarily complicated.
When you put it that way, good point.

jonnzz

Noob
Definitely!
imho high execution prevents uneducated casuals with lack of fundamentals to be part of the player base, for me that is ok because of higher "versus" quality and better matches!
Then they have two choices imo:
1- Lern the game proper, and learn all about fighting games fundamentals ect
2-GTFO

I can't really see how execution relates to fundamentals.

My point of view is that execution allows people that lack fundamentals to show off and think they are strong.

Good positioning, strong anti-air reactions, good blocking skills will easily beat your execution because you'll need to be super-smart just to have a chance of landing your crazy combo.

People that think lose to "weaker" players because of easy execution are IMO not as strong as they think.

I've been playing FG's since 1992, dropping many combos despite maining easy execution characters in almost all the games i tried. Yet i won many many matches against people that had an execution level i could even dream of, because i have experience, fundamentals and good blocking skills. Especially, i won locals at SF4 playing the game just like i played SSF2T ten years ago.

Admittedly, i also lost a lot of matches against player that had great fundamentals and perfect execution.

Anyway, execution matters when both people have good fundamentals because combos only matter if you are smart enough to beat your opponent's defense.

So really, people who blame easy execution for their losses should spend more time trying to really understand and master fundamentals.

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
I've went deep on how I felt, but the actual single special moves and normals are ok. The only thing I would change is make Grundy's chain grabs a combination of 360,180, and 90 degree motions. Down down up up is too easy for that type of damage. I'd also have supers done in traditional fashion and not the two back buttons. That might be it though.

Fuck that. You should be able to hit the trait button and then either say "power", "health", or "defense"into your kinect mic and it should auto-complete

I can't really see how execution relates to fundamentals.

My point of view is that execution allows people that lack fundamentals to show off and think they are strong.

Good positioning, strong anti-air reactions, good blocking skills will easily beat your execution because you'll need to be super-smart just to have a chance of landing your crazy combo.

People that think lose to "weaker" players because of easy execution are IMO not as strong as they think.

I've been playing FG's since 1992, dropping many combos despite maining easy execution characters in almost all the games i tried. Yet i won many many matches against people that had an execution level i could even dream of, because i have experience, fundamentals and good blocking skills. Especially, i won locals at SF4 playing the game just like i played SSF2T ten years ago.

Admittedly, i also lost a lot of matches against player that had great fundamentals and perfect execution.

Anyway, execution matters when both people have good fundamentals because combos only matter if you are smart enough to beat your opponent's defense.

So really, people who blame easy execution for their losses should spend more time trying to really understand and master fundamentals.
that is ok!
the main thing i was trying to explain is, i want a player base with decent players at least. i dont want randoms after 10 minutes of pm mode being part of the player base. and i believe that a higher not "highest" execution is the "entrance" for a good player base.
:)

edit: for me the execution from injustice is not easy, it is braindead-super-mega-easy.

Jayroc

Hat tier ftw
I like marvels supers by pushing two buttons and directions. I get supers in SF4 all the time by accident, but Im real bad at SF4 too lol.