What's new

Discussion Is run canceling exploiting the game or a legit mechanic?

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
RC for as frustrating as it may be is a legitmate mechanic that just needs a bit of fixing. Because NRS seriously thought it was a good idea to make characters be like plus 15 and shit like that on cancel and probably unintentionally went overboard with it imo. Hope the next patch nerfs run speeds bar BRC since he needs a mobility buff.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
nothing wrong with some characters having jailing cancel pressure, at least the stamina bar limits how much they can do it.
I've never seen a better reason for why RCs jailing should be a thing other than this, and that's honestly not enough.

The difference between being able to jail and being 1 frame shy of jailing is actually insanely staggering, especially when the jailing can be looped.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
lmfao which one of you baddies is the guy in there talking about how hard it and how you gotta be "frame perfect" to do LK's F213 loops so its a good idea to try armor them because nobody knows how to make em jail?

trufenix

bye felicia
It's exploiting. Everyone needs to stop cheating.

Seriously though -- is this a real conversation?
A year from now when we're balls deep in a new game with no rc pressure and the "Would MKX be better without run cancels" threads get fired up you'll be glad we did the diligence now!

But how many run cancels can you actually do at a time? Isn't the limit 2 run cancels? If you could do infinity run cancels then I'd think it was something NRS never planned but since only 2 are possible then I think they created this mechanic. Or are more than 2 possible?

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
But how many run cancels can you actually do at a time? Isn't the limit 2 run cancels? If you could do infinity run cancels then I'd think it was something NRS never planned but since only 2 are possible then I think they created this mechanic. Or are more than 2 possible?
On block you get two run cancels. On hit you get one unless you're Johnny (in which case you get two). You can get multiple dash cancels as well but these aren't really useful except for Johnny and Jacqui who can combo with dash cancels.

Several run cancel characters have other ways to get plus frames or staggers that the opponent had to respect which work without stamina though.

EDIT:
For example, Johnny ex fireballs, D'Vorah f112 staggers, Liu Kang f213 staggers, Jacqui literally everything

Last edited:

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
I've never seen a better reason for why RCs jailing should be a thing other than this, and that's honestly not enough.

The difference between being able to jail and being 1 frame shy of jailing is actually insanely staggering, especially when the jailing can be looped.
either way, nrs said its what they intended for characters like cage, so im glad :p