What's new

Discussion Is run canceling exploiting the game or a legit mechanic?

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
It's obviously intentional.

Having said that, jailing run cancel pressure is too damn strong. You HAVE to respect it and so it creates mixups within mixups within mixups, on characters that don't even need it.
Good thing they got rid of a lot of jailing run cancels with a few exceptions...looking at you A-List.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
To me those with run canceles really stands out. Now let me bring here an example. Playing Hattrick KL is much easier against let's say Shirai Ryu then going against A-List. This is total rape. It's so sad so bad literally makes me cry.

It just feels that those cancels give so much in addition to what a core design has to offer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MortalKombat/comments/53kx7k/is_run_cancelling_exploiting_the_game_or_a_legit/

Just going to leave this here.

One of the reasons i think, NRS should try to teach casuals from a competitive stand point.
I expected some big blow up thread, but what you linked to is quite civil and seems like an honest question being asked by someone who simply doesn't know.

In terms of NRS teaching casuals, to me, Mortal Kombat X has always been a game designed for both crowds: you have the Facton Wars and Living Towers stuff that Casuals can easily enjoy, but for those who want to take the game further, the deeper game is there and the more you put in and actually try to learn, the better you'll be.

All comes down to the player and what they want to get out of the game.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
I've connived dozens of neighborhood kids around my block into shoveling snow from my premises under the guise of working towards the reward of ice cream, after carefully monitoring the weather prior to that day and realizing that a typical New England snowstorm was upon us for the next 5 days minimum, and then subsequently told the exhausted children in a melodious sing-song voice when they asked for their promised reward after nearly a week of laborious toil: "Heh heh, ice cream? Isn't it too cold for ice cream?" and went back inside my house. So I know a thing two about exploitation.

And I say to you, run canceling is not an exploit.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
If it's in the game, it's legit. It may not be "fair" or "balanced," but if it doesn't require hacking, I consider it legitimate.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Someone ban Eddy for irresponsible and dangerous posting. I almost threw my tablet out the window after reading the first post from that link
Lol, the guy was serious and he wants to know.
As you've seen yourself, "he used to dominate on the first sixth months when the game came out, now he gets bodied by run cancels like liu kang"

Like, wow, 6 months playing online and not a single run cancel player? come on, this has been a staple since day 1, he never faced the vanilla Scorpion who could do 3 FBC pressure and be at +8 and all that was guaranteed?

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
Reddit never disappoints.

however NRS could use a slight improvement on his tutorial, like mentioning real advanced stuff.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I dont like plus on block run cancels. You get plus frames at little expense. A lot of characters have to use meter or something has to be present like grenades or a drone which are used up and has to be summoned etc. Where as run cancel characters get plus frames from an automatically quick recharging stamina bar. Seems silly to me.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
You have to be pretty mind boggling useless at this game to cry about A-list who does 2 reps of pressure, while ignoring Takeda which basically does it for free non stop.

Also A-list was said in the presentation stream that it was centered around this mechanic alone, so it will NOT get nerfed tough luck pls stop trying.

Now nerf grandmaster already.

Lokheit

Noob
The act of performing a run cancel has an universal damage scaling that is the same for every run cancel (0.9 multiplier to following combo damage), I'd say it's pretty much intentional. At first I thought it wasn't intentional because when they showcased the characters during kombat kasts they sold cancelling more as playing mind games than being able to extend combos, but I'd say it's intentional.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I don't like the mechanic, but its in there - so its a legitimate mechanic.

Last edited:

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)
Lol, the guy was serious and he wants to know.
As you've seen yourself, "he used to dominate on the first sixth months when the game came out, now he gets bodied by run cancels like liu kang"

Like, wow, 6 months playing online and not a single run cancel player? come on, this has been a staple since day 1, he never faced the vanilla Scorpion who could do 3 FBC pressure and be at +8 and all that was guaranteed?
There is a hidden MMR that is used to match up players. I rarely, if ever, get matched with people that are complete and utter derps. I assume that they all play together, meaning that as he slowly climbed the derp ranks he started hitting better and better players and its only now that hes running in to people that actually can play the game, 6 months is likey an exaggeration