What's new

General/Other Is raven as basic as she seems?

Kiko

Face it, you're done.
There isn't too much depth into her is there? She seems a bit gimmicky with the specials and after someone really starts taking advantage of close game, what can she do besides hope for some frames to line up on lift wake up ? Push block?

What I'm asking is, is she as straight forward as she seems? A die hard zoner.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Pretty much. She relies heavily on footsies and spacing. Once she gets knocked down she is in a world of hurt due to poor wakeups.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
As much as I would say Black Adam is Rose with a divekick and damage, Raven fits the mold of a flat-out Rose/Ermac combination. Very big on footsies, and her projectile absorb is essentially a better LP soul reflect.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
Does she not have any mix ups? I'm not really sure how to block against her. I guess she sort of has a mix up when she does her teleport but that can be reacted in my experience.

t_rall

Noob
I don't feel Raven is a zoner at all. I play her as a direct counter to my opponent. If they're aggressive, she's built around punishing. If they're defensive, she can create holes or apply constant pressure. In my opinion, she works best when played reactively. If you want to play her as a zoner, you'll get shut-down by rush-down characters (or counter-picked like mad... I'm talking to you Batgirl/Scorpion). If you play her too offensively, you'll find her lack of ways to open people up frustrating.

Raven's great at baiting and punishing, since you should never get less than 40% damage off of almost any hit (with 1 meter).

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
She is pretty basic, (you press medium a lot when you player her haha) but I wouldn't say she relies on only zoning. she has some pretty decent strings like B1,2 and F2,2. her J.2 is really good as well. Her wake ups aren't amazing, but in all honesty, or at least in my opinion, I think most of the cast lacks in amazing wake ups. Usually back dashing is the way to go in terms of wake up.

Zoidberg747

Does she not have any mix ups? I'm not really sure how to block against her. I guess she sort of has a mix up when she does her teleport but that can be reacted in my experience.
Her low is b12, but her f3 overhead is slow and easily reactable. She is not a mixup character at all.

Kiko

Face it, you're done.
I've mastered zoner Raven (all the pushes, lifts, stuns, pillars, and reflecting on reaction) but I can't seem to get her slowish normals in. Occasionally I can sneak in a b12 but everything else is easily blocked (b12 included).

I should start using b23 to help get rid of pressure when I notice gaps and holes. Something I should incorporate more.

Zoidberg747

I've mastered zoner Raven (all the pushes, lifts, stuns, pillars, and reflecting on reaction) but I can't seem to get her slowish normals in. Occasionally I can sneak in a b12 but everything else is easily blocked (b12 included).

I should start using b23 to help get rid of pressure when I notice gaps and holes. Something I should incorporate more.
Use grabs more. After blocked f22 keep them honest with a throw. JI3 is also a great way to pressure.

t_rall

Noob

As mentioned, f22 when pressured works well. b12 has, as you've probably noticed, next to no range. b23 is decent, or just a d3 if you can squeeze it in.

ji2~trait (in air)~db/df3 can work if you're trying to open up a turtle.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Raven is really good but really hard to use.
If you had reads like a robot, she'd be the best character in the game because she has amazing tools that reach like 3/4 to full screen lol
She relies so heavily on what map she's on

If she has a roomba tho..... she's almost OP. (Justice Hall robot thing).

Kiko

Face it, you're done.
She's a basic bitch

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

LMAO

Raven is really good but really hard to use.
If you had reads like a robot, she'd be the best character in the game because she has amazing tools that reach like 3/4 to full screen lol
Yeah she'd be seriously sick if you could predict your opponents every move. Full screen grab lock? Hahaha

Vogue

Noob
She's really really good, she is definitely tournament viable. You have to play a smart reactionary game and know when to pressure and when to run.

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
she really is. she has no true setups like pretty much every other character has, just psuedo resets. she's very balanced, but she's a little too balanced imo. it feels like she has no real dirt. but she s fun to play and she can be a problem for some of the high tier characters, though.