What's new

Is NRS purposely saving their most requested MK characters for DLC? How ethical is this practice?

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
The worst thing is when you know that your character won’t appear anymore. I’m a fan of Taven but he won’t return as playable anymore thanks to fanbase that shits on him

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
I just hate fucking guest characters taking slots meant for MK characters.
Not saying I disagree although some are cool, but they don't so much take space from MK characters. They allow us to get more MK characters. Since the beginning NRS has said & the #s show the guest are the top selling & they are why they are able to do all the dlc in the first place...when they say we will see if we get KP2 or 3, it means they are looking at the sales of the 1st one & with guests being the highest $ makers its up to them really.

DLC Prediction for Kombat Pack #1

Fujin
Havik
Nightwolf
Sindel
Penneywise (September)
Spawn

Kombat Pack #2
Nitara
Rain (second time I know Ed promised)
Ermac
Takeda
Michael Myers
Chucky, Annabelle, Jigsaw & Leprechaun (Ninja Turtles, Triborg)

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I’m more than okay with it

We are all gonna buy the DLC anyways and you all fucking know it. Even if we have no intention to play the characters, we need to be able to lab and understand them.

Sooooooo it might as well be badass characters we’re paying for. Injustice 2’s DLC was fucking horrendous. They have the DC Universe, which is in my opinion the greatest fictional universe of all time to pull from, and they put in three heavily requested characters (1/3 of the overall DLC), two MK characters, and two other guests, and two mid level albeit fairly cool DC characters. Awful. Hopefully this is better. Having the requested characters being the ones we have to pay for is good in my book. I’d happily pay for Shang, Mileena, or Takeda, rather than Havik or Reiko or some other shit bum.

omooba

fear the moobs
rain drop kicked kotal kahn but didn't even make it in as dlc was very emotionally draining for me. but as far as saving requested characters for dlc i honestly don't think we (tym community) care that much seeing as we'll buy everything regardless

Gamer68

Fujin!
https://testyourmight.com/threads/spoilers-mkx-to-mk11-roster-comparison-overview.68314/

Take a look at my thread, it compares the MKX roster to the MK11 roster. You'll see that both games have similar rosters, but what characters MK11 does replace, it tries to make up with either:
  • A highly requested character
    • Example: Instead of Reptile, we have Noob Saibot.
    • Another example: Instead of Kung Jin, we have Baraka.
  • A character that makes sense to replace another
    • Example: Instead of Mileena, we have Jade. Both these characters are related to Kitana and are klassic ninjas, so it seems like a fair trade.
    • Another example: Instead of Ermac, we have Skarlet. Both are red ninjas that spawned from fake rumors, so another fair trade.
    • Yet another example: Instead of Takeda, we have Cetrion. They basically traded one of the MKX new characters for different new character.
Most of the roster is this way, and it seems like a pretty fair and solid line-up. I'm sure DLC will have some highly requested characters (Sindel maybe?), but I think the base game has some as well.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Is NRS saving their most requested MK characters for DLC?
Are you implying that Rain and Fujin are more popular characters than Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Johnny Cage, Sonya, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Kitana...? Lol. Or maybe Shao Kahn? Kotal Kahn? Jade? Noob? Cassie? Erron?

This entire thread is built on a ridiculous premise.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
This is such bullshit you damn corporations drip feeding us mk characters while you shove shot guests in our faces and tack them on with those mk chars to make more money, one of these days us gamers will rise up an say NO to these shady practices... *he says while handing over like 130$ for the ultimate swagtastic mega mix edition mk11*

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I don't see a problem with a company on how they make a profit on the needs/wants of a consumer however "unethical" it could be in this case.

It's not like EA's micro transactions or Epic Games Micro Transactions with Gears 4. That. THAT was unethical and left a serious devastating and bad impressions for casuals and hardcore fans alike.

We should be glad NRS as NEVER gone that road. Just look at sfv or Capcom over all.

Yep. I'm thankful NRS has never gone that road.

Yes, they are almost certainly saving some of their most requested characters for DLC.

Is this unethical? No I don't think so. NRS games are not cheap, content poor releases (SFV, MvCI, etc.). MK11 looks to be no exception; it appears to be a AAA fighter with all the content we have come to expect, while giving us more overall (customization). And the base roster, while not perfect in my opinion, is certainly not poor or lacking.

NRS games are expensive to make. If we want them to keep such a high quality level, they need to rake in cash to pay for it. Giving us amazing DLC packs (Havik, Fujin, Sindel, Smoke, Pennywise and Spawn) would probably do gangbusters and make the majority of us happy. It's a win/win as long as the base game doesn't suffer too much, and in this case base game seems pretty damn good.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
I don't see a problem with a company on how they make a profit on the needs/wants of a consumer however "unethical" it could be in this case.

It's not like EA's micro transactions or Epic Games Micro Transactions with Gears 4. That. THAT was unethical and left a serious devastating and bad impressions for casuals and hardcore fans alike.

We should be glad NRS as NEVER gone that road. Just look at sfv or Capcom over all.

Yep. I'm thankful NRS has never gone that road.
Im looking at sfv. 4 seasons and dev support. Main event for competitive fg esport. Currently outliving 2 nrs game and going for 3.

im looking at nrs now. A year and a half of support, shitty guest characters for dlc. Make a quick buck and push the next game out their butt. Cant make a sunday slot at Evo ever. Everyone makes fun of their games in the fgc and avoids the community like the plague.Great netcode tho

Whats your point here buddy. Spare me the nrs games sales numbers too, it just makes it more sad lul

Last edited:

J_in_CA

Noob
I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but the premise of this thread is a bit silly. NRS is putting out a game with a ton of content, move and skin customizations and has nearly all of the series most popular characters included in the base roster and they are going to be accused of holding the most requested ones back? If the rest of that leak is true the only highly requested characters that are being left out are Rain and Fujin and they could be DLC for sure but that shouldn't count as holding all of the most requested back. This studio more than any other fighting game dev goes above and beyond with the amount of content they offer as well as AAA quality visuals and yet people are still going to act like they shady.

J_in_CA

Noob
Im looking at sfv. 4 seasons and dev support. Main event for competitive fg esport. Currently outliving 2 nrs game and going for 3.

im looking at nrs now. A year and a half of support, shitty guest characters for dlc. Make a quick buck and shove the next game out their butt. Cant make a sunday slot at Evo ever. Everyone makes fun of their games in the fgc and avoids the community like the plague

Whats your point here buddy. Spare me the nrs games sales numbers too, it just makes it more sad lul
Seriously? SFV launched bare bones and has virtually no interest outside of the hardcore fighting scene which is very small in the grand scheme of things. Telling people to not talk about sales is a bit silly as well because that PROVES which series is more popular. I own SFV and find it boring as hell, I deleted it from my SSD a long time ago, btw Capcom charges a lot for things like skins etc so spare me the NRS is just trying to make money stuff, they ALL are in it for the money.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
Seriously? SFV launched bare bones and has virtually no interest outside of the hardcore fighting scene which is very small in the grand scheme of things. Telling people to not talk about sales is a bit silly as well because that PROVES which series is more popular. I own SFV and find it boring as hell, I deleted it from my SSD a long time ago, btw Capcom charges a lot for things like skins etc so spare me the NRS is just trying to make money stuff, they ALL are in it for the money.
Why do you care about sales, really? Are you making a profit? Anyone in your family? friends? Your dog?

Who gives af. Its just a straw for you to grasp at, some kind of shield you think protects you from making a valid argument. The truth is, in the Fighting Game Community aka the reason we’re on this site, where people or “hardcore” players appreciate fighting games by actually playing them and showing up to tournaments— instead of shilling sales charts — nrs games, for all the copies they sell as you love to talk about it, cant even hang for a year. But they sell so much right so theyre gdlk lul

Newsflash. If the Street Fighter franchise was bought by a Titan like warner bros they would sell a lot too. Look what happened to nrs when they were at Midway, on more even ground with other fg devs. Oh wait you cant because Midway is gone lul

Last edited:

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
I’m so sick of people complaining that companies are unethical because of the contents of a product they sell. When omitting noob makes MK11 unsafe to play, then it’ll be unethical. Even on disc paywall DLC is perfectly ethical; people act like they have consumer rights to product design. Micro transactions and the like are nothing more than price increases. Now I agree these practices might devalue a product, but we all already have an istrument to handle this - not buying it. For the majority of us on this site, this game is worth way more than the $100 we spend on it every two years even without dlc.

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
Lol@ people who think they ever gonna see Nightwolf again. SJW hate everyone using anything Native American, so they probably poisoned Nightwolf out of the game for good, much like already happened to Streetfighters T.Hawk.

If you think this is a right choice, you may call yourself a freaking SJW, wether you like it or not.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Yeah, really sad how successful NRS games are. Tragic.

Get off your high horse about the FGC. Fighting games aren't made just for you, and their success isn't measured by how much you, or people like you, personally like them.

Why do you care about sales, really? Are you making a profit? Anyone in your family? friends? Your dog?

Who gives af. Its just a straw for you to grasp at, some kind of shield you think protects you from making a valid argument. The truth is, in the Fighting Game Community aka the reason we’re on this site, where people or “hardcore” players appreciate fighting games by actually playing them and showing up to tournaments— instead of shilling sales charts — nrs games, for all the copies they sell as you love to talk about it, cant even hang for a year. But they sell so much right so theyre gdlk lul

Newsflash. If the Street Fighter franchise was bought by a Titan like warner bros they would sell a lot too. Look what happened to nrs when they were at Midway, on more even ground with other fg devs. Oh wait you cant because Midway is gone lul
A few review notes on this debate fromy perspective:

1. From a competitive standpoint, at this moment, SFV is more popular than all NRS games combined.

2. The sales talk is relevant to a certain extent. MK is a bigger money maker than any other fighting game series. It flat out beats other fighting games at the market, and as such reaches more players.

3. The 3D MK games (they were made under Midway) were all million sellers, over a decade ago. MK fighting games have always sold, and I'm going to bet that MK11 crushes SFV, T7, SC6, DOA6, etc, just like MKX did to its competition (from a sales perspective).

TLDR: MK sells better and SF has a better competitive scene. Maybe MK11 can gain some ground competitively.