What's new

[SPOILERS] MKX to MK11 Roster Comparison/Overview

Gamer68

Fujin!
Getting a few things out of the way: First, this is assuming that the GameFAQs leak that claims there are three secret characters is false. This comparison is only taking into account the characters present in the Reddit leak. Secondly, I know there is some debating about whether or not it's okay to talk about the leaks, but a lot of us -- and myself included -- have already spent quite some time talking about the leaks when they first dropped, so considering I've already seen it and discussed it before, I don't see how stopping will fix anything. Lastly, if you clicked on the thread and got spoiled and didn't want to, my apologizes but I put a spoiler tag in the title so it's kinda your fault.

With that out of the way, I've created a "Mortal Kombat X to Mortal Kombat 11 Roster Comparison" showcasing the differences in the two games' rosters while also providing some facts. Below there are images of MKX's and MK11's rosters, a GIF of the two rosters being overlapped, change notes so you can see who was replaced more clearly (or read the changes if you can't view Imgur posts), and some fun facts.

I put together the rosters with this: https://www.deviantart.com/molim/art/MK11-Roster-Creator-784037628
I made the GIF with this: https://ezgif.com/maker

Now, the good stuff...

MORTAL KOMBAT X:

MORTAL KOMBAT 11:

COMPARISON GIF:

CHANGES FROM MKX TO MK11:
  • Kenshi > Cetrion
  • Mileena > Jade
  • Takeda > Kollector
  • Kung Jin > Baraka
  • Shinnok > Geras
  • Ermac > Skarlet
  • Reptile > Noob Saibot
  • Ferra/Torr > Frost
  • Quan Chi > Kabal
  • Goro > Shao Kahn
FUN FACTS:
  • MK11 replaced ten characters coming from MKX.
  • MKX introduced eight new characters, MK11 introduces three.
  • MKX had six klassic ninjas, MK11 has seven.
  • MKX had three 3D-era characters, MK11 has one.
  • MKX had eight Special Forces characters, MK11 has five (assuming no one joins SF during MK11).
  • MKX had nineteen males and six females (not counting Ferra), MK11 has sixteen males and nine females.
  • Both games have a boss character as a pre-order bonus.
  • Both games may end up having 25 characters at launch (assuming MK11 has no secret characters).

Last edited:

Gamer68

Fujin!
MK11 has Mileena, Shinnok, and Shang Tsung as unlockables.
In the OP I said that the leak wasn't confirmed so I'm not going to take it into account.

There is a rumor that the images were on Discord for weeks and multiple people got their hands on them before they were actually released. The idea is that the GameFAQs leaker could have gotten the images before they were out, piggy backed off of it, then just added characters that he thinks could be in the game based off of roster size.

If more characters are confirmed I'll update the thread.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
The MK11 roster was better than the MKX roster even back when they only revealed 7 characters lol.

If they reveal Shang, Nightwolf, Fujin and one cyborg, that would make this one of if not the best MK roster, yet. Even now, this roster is very solid.

My only gripe with it is the inclusion of these three; Sonya, Cassie, and Jacqui. I feel like they could have included Cassie only and have Sonya/Jacqui sit this one out. Instead, we could have had Fujin and Nightwolf on the base roster.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
If we don't count the Shang, Shinnok and Mileena leak (which makes sense since it's nothing too concrete), I'd say the roster is slightly better, but MKX's was very poor.

If the unlockables leak is true and we don't get a billions guests again, I'd say MK11's roster is in a good place. Not as good as MK9 though.

Last edited:
whats the point of this thread?
What's the point of your post? So many whiners here, and people say MKO is bad?

I think this thread's pretty cool as it does a good job of visually drawing a comparison between the two rosters, and highlights the diversity of the new one. Imo it helps to clarify just how much better this new roster really is, despite some minor flaws according to some. It's also interesting to speculate why NRS chose to specifically remove those characters from MKX in place of the others in the roster.

Rice

SIRO FOR MK1
MK 11 is the better roster period.

Replacing the jobbers with Skarlet, Noob and Frost.

Replacing some Special Forces and Quan Cheese with interesting new characters, Kabal and Baraka.

I get if you are disappointed if your characters didnt make it but you gotta be high af to think MKX was better.

Let's be real for a second: Both the MKX and the MK11 rosters combined don't come even close to the awesomeness that was the MK9 roster.
I see so many people say this but lets be honest its just because people are blinded by nostalgia.

MK9 was just safe and didnt really take any risks with its roster.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Let's be real for a second: Both the MKX and the MK11 rosters combined don't come even close to the awesomeness that was the MK9 roster.
Well if we're being real, it's very easy to have a better roster when you have a bigger roster. And it's very easy to have a bigger roster when you're putting so much less work into every individual character.

As for both combined... only reason you say that is nostalgia. If you had 10 games' worth of development in a row for Kotal, D'Vorah, Erron, Ferra/Torr, Geras, Takeda, etc, I bet you anything you'd like them all more than you like Stryker, Sindel, Nightwolf, Baraka, Sheeva, and Cyber Sub-Zero right now.

Last edited:
• Both games have a boss character as a pre-order bonus.
"• Both games had guest characters from classic horror films (Jason Vorhees | Michael Myers)", and the transition will be...

...Especially if the latter character has a dedicated arena + theme music.

Ceroder

Noob
Nah. I wish Shinnok and Shang were in though.
In the OP I said that the leak wasn't confirmed so I'm not going to take it into account.

There is a rumor that the images were on Discord for weeks and multiple people got their hands on them before they were actually released. The idea is that the GameFAQs leaker could have gotten the images before they were out, piggy backed off of it, then just added characters that he thinks could be in the game based off of roster size.

If more characters are confirmed I'll update the thread.
Shinnok, Shang and Mileena are %100 in. That leak happened 4-5 days before the roster leak, and it had "Cetrion" name in it. Then, roster leak happened and CET was also named Cetrion in it. I dont think you can guess the name "Cetrion" , also roster is identical except Shinnok, so that leak is real as well.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Shinnok, Shang and Mileena are %100 in. That leak happened 4-5 days before the roster leak, and it had "Cetrion" name in it. Then, roster leak happened and CET was also named Cetrion in it. I dont think you can guess the name "Cetrion" , also roster is identical except Shinnok, so that leak is real as well.
Are you sure the guy/girl in the roster leak is actually named Cetrion? Maybe it was named so BECAUSE of that leak 5 days prior.