What's new

Is NRS purposely saving their most requested MK characters for DLC? How ethical is this practice?

aj1701

Noob
I’m so sick of people complaining that companies are unethical because of the contents of a product they sell. When omitting noob makes MK11 unsafe to play, then it’ll be unethical. Even on disc paywall DLC is perfectly ethical; people act like they have consumer rights to product design. Micro transactions and the like are nothing more than price increases. Now I agree these practices might devalue a product, but we all already have an istrument to handle this - not buying it. For the majority of us on this site, this game is worth way more than the $100 we spend on it every two years even without dlc.
Ya honestly I'd rather they just have all the dlc ready day one. At least then I'll know if I'm going to buy the game at all or not.

Blizer

Cheap Kollector Rip Off
We will likely get a trailer or a teaser for KP 1 sometime this month hopefully.

Then people can make decide if they want it or not

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
I’m more than okay with it

We are all gonna buy the DLC anyways and you all fucking know it. Even if we have no intention to play the characters, we need to be able to lab and understand them.

Sooooooo it might as well be badass characters we’re paying for. Injustice 2’s DLC was fucking horrendous. They have the DC Universe, which is in my opinion the greatest fictional universe of all time to pull from, and they put in three heavily requested characters (1/3 of the overall DLC), two MK characters, and two other guests, and two mid level albeit fairly cool DC characters. Awful. Hopefully this is better. Having the requested characters being the ones we have to pay for is good in my book. I’d happily pay for Shang, Mileena, or Takeda, rather than Havik or Reiko or some other shit bum.
Most of the people complaining will still invariably buy the DLC which is dumb and makes the complaints moot, but for me. I find it absolutely not necessary. We can always play other people and go to online training. There's no better training than the real thing anyway to me. I labbed almost none of the DLC in MKX or INJ2 and still did fine, I think the importance of a lot of that is overstated.

I wish people would put their money where their mouths are though. In my opinion/experience, I have only legit used for more than five minutes about two DLC characters over the last four games, it's not worth the investment.

Plus a lot of Fighter Pack purchasers are going to complain about the guests and MK characters they don't think deserved to be in instead of just waiting to see what the packs offer.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
There is nothing unethical about it. Which character is missing that would make you feel that you are under assault as a consumer lol? I want movie Shang, I’m not going to take to twitter if he’s not in the base roster lol. If he’s dlc I will buy it, it’s as simple as that. If he’s not in at all then oh well, maybe next time. The “wasted slot” stance isn’t an ethical matter, it’s an opinion on social media.

Derico

Banned
I had sure Fujin and Rain would be in mk11. It's weird...

Also no Kenshi is a big disappointment for me, he is a strong help to special forces. Same as Fujin on the Raiden side.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
A few review notes on this debate fromy perspective:

1. From a competitive standpoint, at this moment, SFV is more popular than all NRS games combined.

2. The sales talk is relevant to a certain extent. MK is a bigger money maker than any other fighting game series. It flat out beats other fighting games at the market, and as such reaches more players.

3. The 3D MK games (they were made under Midway) were all million sellers, over a decade ago. MK fighting games have always sold, and I'm going to bet that MK11 crushes SFV, T7, SC6, DOA6, etc, just like MKX did to its competition (from a sales perspective).

TLDR: MK sells better and SF has a better competitive scene. Maybe MK11 can gain some ground competitively.
Yeah, really sad how successful NRS games are. Tragic.

Get off your high horse about the FGC. Fighting games aren't made just for you, and their success isn't measured by how much you, or people like you, personally like them.
My original post was a little off topic so i can see, based of what were thread we’re in, why you think Im interested in the financial success of nrs games in general. I dont and to be crystal clear from my original post: Better games = More players in the fgc. You know like more competition, more privilege, and longevity of a game’s life. Things that actually matter?

Who cares how much money they make. None of you directly benefit from that. But you do directly amd indirectly benefit from having a good game to play for years and years (which you dont ), yet you guys in here would rather play pretend warnerbros stock holder meeting for some reason lul

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
The recent Cassie and Jacquie reveal has caused lots of backlash in social media due to the feeling that these characters are taking the space of other more interesting characters and that other similar character already exist in the roster (Sonya, Jax, Johnny)
love it how people assume everyone agrees with them.

Cassie is extremely popular and well received.If you look at uTube posts and twitter replies you see a TON od support as in almost every response is positive.

Jackie not as much but still a LOT of positive support.

Yes both have negative but there is negativity everywhere. I mean some people wwere bitching abut Sonya being in it... lol

Crimzon-ET

Got Face Huggers?
It's true that it is becoming the norm in the gaming industry to withhold content and sell it post launch to generate more money and revenue. For for fighting games it can be subjective as to when it crosses the line for fans. Are only obscure characters ok to be reserved? Are fan favorites not in the main story ok too? What about staples of the series like Scorpion and Sub-Zero? Were is the line?

Personally for me I've always felt that DLC shouldn't be related to the main/core gameplay. It should be just that. Extra content that fans can take or leave like stages,costums/skins,side modes(Motokart/Tekken Ball),ect and a way for the developers to make more revenue post launch.

As a fair compromise if characters then guest characters. That way fans of the franchise won't feel slighted and the developers can still put out cash grab DLC content and get paid.

So far the most fair post business model that I have seen and dealt with is Killer Instinct. All characters and modes are available for free with characters on rotations so players can pick and choose who they actually want to pay for and still learn match ups. Then if the player decides they can purchas the whole cast for the price of a full game at launched.

Eitherway DLC characters can be a real Hasselhoff if they aren't available at the setups your playing on at tournament or have to be unlocked and for sure add up quickly for TO's. I still don't know how are local TO's keep up with the price of having some of these games at thier event,Ha.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I’m more than okay with it

We are all gonna buy the DLC anyways and you all fucking know it. Even if we have no intention to play the characters, we need to be able to lab and understand them.

Sooooooo it might as well be badass characters we’re paying for. Injustice 2’s DLC was fucking horrendous. They have the DC Universe, which is in my opinion the greatest fictional universe of all time to pull from, and they put in three heavily requested characters (1/3 of the overall DLC), two MK characters, and two other guests, and two mid level albeit fairly cool DC characters. Awful. Hopefully this is better. Having the requested characters being the ones we have to pay for is good in my book. I’d happily pay for Shang, Mileena, or Takeda, rather than Havik or Reiko or some other shit bum.
Not me! I'm more like @Espio said, if I shit on the guest characters it's obvious I'm not gonna buy them. I've only bought Tanya, Bo Rai Cho and Tremor in MKX because they seemed cool but because they're MK characters too.
Triborg felt like a cheap way to put the cyborgs back, so I didn't mind him/they lmao

I'm not giving a single cent to Pinhead or Dracula lol if somehow there's a Kombat Pack featuring MK characters only, I'll probably buy that pack. Even if it contains Bo Rai Cho again or crappy characters like Darrius or Stryker.

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
at this point chameleon will be the full pack Ninja with reptile , ermac , smoke , Rain , tremor powers

and this will be dope as fuck , thats the only way i can forgive NRS for remove all ninjas in MK 11

what we should care now its how many Guests NRS will put this time ...

If it is

Robocop
Terminator
Pennywise
Michael meyers
Spawn
DoomSlayer

6 Guests and 6 MK chars ?

J_in_CA

Noob
Why do you care about sales, really? Are you making a profit? Anyone in your family? friends? Your dog?

Who gives af. Its just a straw for you to grasp at, some kind of shield you think protects you from making a valid argument. The truth is, in the Fighting Game Community aka the reason we’re on this site, where people or “hardcore” players appreciate fighting games by actually playing them and showing up to tournaments— instead of shilling sales charts — nrs games, for all the copies they sell as you love to talk about it, cant even hang for a year. But they sell so much right so theyre gdlk lul

Newsflash. If the Street Fighter franchise was bought by a Titan like warner bros they would sell a lot too. Look what happened to nrs when they were at Midway, on more even ground with other fg devs. Oh wait you cant because Midway is gone lul
You are entitled to your opinion of course but the value that NRS brings to a game at launch let alone the year of extended support far surpasses the total package SFV has done since it launched. I'm talking story, number of characters and arenas on day one, extra skins etc. SFV was under fire at launch for it's lack of content and DLC strategy and that was fair, bitching about MK11 having almost 30 characters with a ton of skins and customization options along with 21 arenas, a story mode, earned content with towers after launch etc there is no comparison.

Who cares how much money they make. None of you directly benefit from that. But you do directly amd indirectly benefit from having a good game to play for years and years (which you dont ), yet you guys in here would rather play pretend warnerbros stock holder meeting for some reason lul
Most of us do benefit directly from how much money MK makes though. MK, from a content perspective, simply shits all over SF. Creating that content is very expensive, and just won't be there if MK doesn't sell. Most people just buy the game, play the story, do some towers, play with friends, play online a bit, whatever. SF isn't as profitable, doesn't have the same budget, and as such doesn't have as much to offer to the average buyer. I own all NRS games most Capcom fighting games, and I just get more hours out of NRS games.

I do agree that SFV has a larger competitive scene; that just seems obvious to me. But the vast majority of people get much more value from having a game full of content than they get from a great competitive game.

To take the argument to the extreme, you have Virtua Fighter. Best competitive fighting series; dead as fuck because not enough people bought it.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
I don't think that's how it works, but even if it was, can you blame em? I was watching an interview with Boon where he discussed the manpower (writers, directors, animatoes, etc.) that went into MK11 while footage played in the background. And it really struck me just how gorgeous this game is. The roster is pretty solid as we know it now, so if a few fanservice choices were saved to help bring in revenue, I think that'd be relatively fair. It's not like they would keep, say, Rain out to the detriment of the story just to make a few bucks.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
To me, it seems like NRS wants to try their hardest to make MK11 a celebration of the old and new of MK as it is the 25th anniversary for the series.

We have Skarlet, Noob, Kabal, Erron, Frost, Shao Kahn, Jade, and Baracka returning when they were all heavily wanted back. Especially Noob and Skarlet.

Assuming Shang is back then that's another to add to that list.

Characters like Reptile, Ermac, Quan-Chi, Sektor, Cyrax, and even my boy Kenshi will most likely not be on the main roster or because they've got the spot on the cast in previous games many times before so this is their chance to add and reinvent characters that fans want but we haven't had in a while because you can't get them to fit in the story mode which ultimately determines the roster.

That being said, I sincerely hope that NRS doesn't go crazy with guest characters again like in INJ2 and MKX because as cool as it would be to have the Terminator or Spawn in the game, that is a spot that replaces characters like Fujin, Nitara, Lin Mei, Motaro, Sareena, Darius, Havik, Reiko, Khameleon and Ashrah.

And then there's the supposed "rule" that Ed will not allow a character who has been dlc before to be dlc again. So if Rain doesn't make the main roster, than it basically de-confirms him and any other character that matches these conditions.

Lastly, they may further approach MK11 differently. Fighting games such as Tekken, Street Fighter, and DBFZ have all created "seasons" for their dlc. This is something I sincerely hope that NRS takes into consideration so we may get a KP2 that lets them add the characters that were unfortunately excluded in the first KP. A seasonal approach would be the best way for NRS to keep the game fresh after over a year of it's release by adding more characters that fans wanted but could not make it into the game at the beginning, while also breaking the cycle of the game being "dead" after two years.

SubZeroIce

Runway
I think they are because Injustice 2 had some of the most requested characters as DLC and it performed very well from my understanding.

I think it's shady but considering they have a "no repeat" rule & it's been confirmed we won't see any repeats in DLC, it's safe to say they'll include classic characters. I imagine Sindel, Fujin, & Nightwolf are shoe-ins for DLC.
DAMN I'm good!!