What's new

Is NinjaKiller the best Mortal Kombat X player? Podcast discussion.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
I guess some fighting games are starting to try and add in more of a group mentality. There's already things like King of the Hill modes, which works well for a group of friends. We're also starting to see more Dojo/Clan/Guild things popping up in games. I wonder if the next step would be to have some type of team match option, where teams of 3 or 5 face off in a quick match. Maybe similar to what the current Injustice 2 AI simulator battle does, where teams play several quick rounds against each other.
MKX already has that as well in the Team Battle online mode, where teams of 3 or 5 players face each other in quick matches.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I don’t think the team aspect has anything to do with it tbh. For instance, look how popular Fortnite solo’s are. Honestly every game should adopt the “free to play” system. As long as the game is good, you’ll get way more money via micro transactions for cosmetics. And it could work very well for fighters.

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
Bro, this guy's execution is from ANOTHER WORLD! I just tried his combos and i couldnt do shit!
It's been like 1 year that i dont play MKX but i guess even when i was used to grind the game i couldnt do that 50% combo that NinjaKilla does using 4 IAFBs and 1 run fireball cancel in the middle of the combo :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I don’t think the team aspect has anything to do with it tbh. For instance, look how popular Fortnite solo’s are. Honestly every game should adopt the “free to play” system. As long as the game is good, you’ll get way more money via micro transactions for cosmetics. And it could work very well for fighters.
There are still a bunch of people in a Fortnite game though.. It still feels much more communal than a 1v1.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Honestly every game should adopt the “free to play” system. As long as the game is good, you’ll get way more money via micro transactions for cosmetics. And it could work very well for fighters.
Isn't that how KI works? Free to Play but you pay a seasonal pass or buy individual fighters?

I think as a consumer this could work very well in a fighter. It may also foster "loyalest" as well. Like you get a free game, but to play a char you buy it.. if you do not buy it you do not play it but it can be played against yo.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
The FGC is still old school. It is multiplayer.. but not like that. I mean DBZ could easily be 3 man tag teams.. but it isn't as that is just not how the FGC works.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Truth is though, some games are going to be niche. Instead of comparing ourselves to the numbers for everything else, we should probably focus on expanding our niche and growing it to the fullest extent possible.

The FGC barely advertises to the outside world that it exists, so I'm pretty sure we're not even close to max. saturation at this point.

Roy Arkon

Truth is though, some games are going to be niche. Instead of comparing ourselves to the numbers for everything else, we should probably focus on expanding our niche and growing it to the fullest extent possible.

The FGC barely advertises to the outside world that it exists, so I'm pretty sure we're not even close to max. saturation at this point.
Some fighting games are indeed niche, but Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and Tekken are sure as hell not, especially MK and even IJ with how many sales NRS/WB games get by comparison to other fighters. Being a niche game or genre isn't just about a competitive aspect of them but also sales, and NRS/WB have that one in a big time. In fact, it was just announced that DBFZ, a fighting game that is super popular both for casuals and competitors, has sold 3.5M units, while MKX still holds the record for most sales over the past decade with 5M units.

MK is the one franchise that the most players have access to, and it's the most popular, it's just that in the competitive side of the fighting genre in particular MK is still only growing, but then again, it is growing and only gets better, and while we as a community can't sit and whine and wait for NRS/WB to help it grow for us, we need to help NRS/WB to help us make it grow. Ninja Killa right here helps that, along with other online players, by building foundations for MK to have it's own community that isn't based just on which game gets more money from NRS/WB right now, but by the love for the game. Like you said, even Capcom didn't get their E-Sports position over night.

So yes, we should strive to get better, and we already are, both from the sides of NRS/WB and the community, we just need to focus on the right stuff and do the right stuff.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Truth is though, some games are going to be niche. Instead of comparing ourselves to the numbers for everything else our niche and growing it to the fullest extent possible.

Hell no we aren’t at max saturation. Definitely a helluva lot better than we were 10 years ago before SF4 breathed new light into the FGC. I remember going to Final Round for the first actual SF4 major. We had around 250 or so entrants which was unheard of outside of EVO at the time. No streams, just janky recordings (no offense but they were definitely janky). We have gone a LONG way these past 10 years, but still are wayy behind bigger esports games and genres.

I honestly think it’s going to be collaborative effort. From the community but also from devs. NRS are on the right track... but they still do a terrible at advertising and promoting the competitive side. It’s hard to say “terrible” since they are definitely improving, but just being honest.

And yes, I firmly believe the “free to play” model is the future of gaming. At least all multiplayer games. It just makes sense.

NRS are on the right track... but they still do a terrible at advertising and promoting the competitive side. It’s hard to say “terrible” since they are definitely improving, but just being honest.
what could they do better in your opinion?
they are doing pretty good if you ask me (ips, esl). imho one big mistake they have made everytime so far is that they believe making games easier, from different perspectives such as easier inpouts, is going to bring more players into the game which i dont think so.
the input engine is improved from mk9 but is still not superior like it should be.
new players are willing to grind for execution and all other things but input shortcuts among other stuff have upset tons of players actually, not only nrs players but in particular players coming from other fighting games.. it happens all the time, even with vanilla inj2.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Bro, this guy's execution is from ANOTHER WORLD! I just tried his combos and i couldnt do shit!
It's been like 1 year that i dont play MKX but i guess even when i was used to grind the game i couldnt do that 50% combo that NinjaKilla does using 4 IAFBs and 1 run fireball cancel in the middle of the combo :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
That is something I mentioned to some of my buddies just a day or two ago, who I still get to play offline.

The way he operates and does everything, is on another level. Even back in the golden days, there were no one with such sophisticated execution level. It reminded me of Reos Kabal execution or DarktrainDarks. Not to mention that he knows exactly what and when he is able to press. His overall gameplay is superb.

Considering the way he plays that Kang, it would require to outplay him without giving him the opportunity for offense.

Roy Arkon

what could they do better in your opinion?
they are doing pretty good if you ask me (ips, esl). imho one big mistake they have made everytime so far is that they believe making games easier, from different perspectives such as easier inpouts, is going to bring more players into the game which i dont think so.
the input engine is improved from mk9 but is still not superior like it should be.
new players are willing to grind for execution and all other things but input shortcuts among other stuff have upset tons of players actually, not only nrs players but in particular players coming from other fighting games.. it happens all the time, even with vanilla inj2.
I have no idea what you're talking about. One of the things that make MK and also IJ so successful and give them many sales is because of the easier inputs. That was the case since the very beginning. That's one of the reasons DBFZ was successful as well with their auto combos. Making players grinding execution is the exact opposite of what will attract new players. And it's not that there is no execution in NRS games at all. The Run-Cancel mechanic in MKX, for one, is not an easy thing to do. NRS games are easy to learn, hard to master type of games. So now you wanna take out the "easy to learn" part as well? Fuck outta here.

If grinding execution could attract new players, then Guilty Gear and Blazblue would have tons of sales, and then tons of players, but it's not the case here. And yes, Fantasy Strike tried to be super easy and couldn't had get many players and that's a true niche game, but that's only because they don't have any AAA publisher to help them promote the game in order for may eyeballs to see it. It's an indie game after all.

So no, don't make the execution harder, keep it as it is right now.

And speaking of promoting.....

I honestly think it’s going to be collaborative effort. From the community but also from devs. NRS are on the right track... but they still do a terrible at advertising and promoting the competitive side. It’s hard to say “terrible” since they are definitely improving, but just being honest.

And yes, I firmly believe the “free to play” model is the future of gaming. At least all multiplayer games. It just makes sense.
I have no idea what you're talking either. NRS/WB have promoted their competitive side to huge lengths. IJ2's IPS for one got huge marketing campaigns with associations with the likes of Gamestop and such. Same with thing with MKX ESL Pro League. NRS/WB already do beyond an awesome job. Not to mention all of the marketing they do to promote the games before their release. That's one of the reasons they get the sales. MKX had a GIGANTIC marketing campaign, and that resulted in the highest sales for any NRS/WB game so far, as well as the most sales for any fighting game in the last decades, and from competitive standpoint, the most entreats to any NRS/WB game in the history of EVO. In addition to all of the effort they've put in the games themselves.

The community is the part who do a terrible job, if anything. @Mr Aquaman for one has done above and beyond with contests like the Kombat Kup and War Of The Gods, but there is so much only one or only a few people can do. Just like Crimson said, we as a community need to do a lot more then just playing the games, we need to encourage people and spread the word. Not making stuff up like "NRS/WB don't market their games properly", that's misinformation in it's ugliest form.

So again, don't take the execution level higher, and keep doing stuff in the same level that NRS/WB do to help the games.

I have no idea what you're talking about.
i welcome easier inputs if properly integrated into the system. i meant easier inputs is not the same as broken inputs. also, inj2 had an auto-correction kind of feature: an special move comes out even if you were inputting it incorrectly. sf5 is good example, it had an improved and easier input engine but its not broken. that is what "i am talking about"

inb4 also other games had and have such kind of features like the infamous sf4 dp shortcuts.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
If you think NRS has done a great job at marketing and promoting the competitive side of the scene, I really don’t know what to tell you. Nutty

Like I said, they have made drastic improvements and are getting better with each iteration. No doubt about that.

Roy Arkon

If you think NRS has done a great job at marketing and promoting the competitive side of the scene, I really don’t know what to tell you. Nutty

Like I said, they have made drastic improvements and are getting better with each iteration. No doubt about that.
If you think that what NRS/WB has done so far in terms of marketing and promoting is not good enough, then I do know what to tell you, that's being in denial.

NRS/WB has made drastic improvements in all aspect, including marketing and promoting, in addition for getting better in each game.

i welcome easier inputs if properly integrated into the system. i meant easier inputs is not the same as broken inputs. also, inj2 had an auto-correction kind of feature: an special move comes out even if you were inputting it incorrectly. sf5 is good example, it had an improved and easier input engine but its not broken. that is what "i am talking about"

inb4 also other games had and have such kind of features like the infamous sf4 dp shortcuts.
First off, I do discuss in a civil manner, don't try to make things not look not the way they are, that doesn't make you look good, thank you

Secondly, you didn't mention anything in your first post regarding auto correction or anything of the kind, all you talked about was the actual execution, and I've replied to you on the manner. And if you actually did, inputs in NRS/WB are not broken by any means, they're implanted in the exact way they should. And regarding the IJ2's auto-correction (which is of course not present in MKX, mind you), I for one didn't had this problem accord to me during my gameplay, and even if it is a problem to others, NRS/WB didn't do it intentionally to help the casuals. Do you really think NRS/WB would reward players by purposely getting moves that you've imputed it wrong? I'm sorry but that's silly.

Also, FTR, DBFZ actually does have an auto-correction feature, that comes in the auto-combos, as you can start an auto-combo on whiff while the opponent tries to do a cross-up and the auto combo will direct you to other side right in time to hit your opponent. And that was clearly intentional by Arc-System and Bamco. And not to mention that didn't stop them from selling the game in millions of units, just like IJ2 did and especially MKX did.

Now if you wanna continue, please do not keep making things look not the way they are ;)

Last edited:
Some good stuff in the podcast realm these last few weeks.
Where the hell are Slips&Hippo though? I miss those fucking fucks
Slips stopped playing I2 after EVO and plays Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur 6. Its a real shame about the Slips and Hippo show but it looks like that podcast has fizzled out!

This podcast that REO holds on his channel is the last thing we have now it would seem on NRS games.