What's new

Video Is Jumping too Good? Anti-Airs + Jumps

What would you like to see happen in the balance patch regarding MKX?

• Total voters

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
I think the jumping problem is just a bi-product of mobility being too strong. It's not that anti-airs aren't good, it's just too hard to react to them since there's usually a run just before they come out and you have a split second to decide which AA to use and it changes the closer they run to you which causes a panic and hesitation. Throw in air teleports, air fireballs and dive kicks and you have pure chaos.
hmm, i dunno about that. i'd say Its too hard to react because the moves prioritys are a bit too strong to really do anything once they reach a certain point.

i've anti aired jik's with d2 extremely early in the jump, where only the very tip of the d2 made contact. Only way you really can anti air with some characters with out spending meter.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
hmm, i dunno about that. i'd say Its too hard to react because the moves prioritys are a bit too strong to really do anything once they reach a certain point.

i've anti aired jik's with d2 extremely early in the jump, where only the very tip of the d2 made contact. Only way you really can anti air with some characters with out spending meter.
A combination of both probably.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
A combination of both probably.
alls i know is that i don't like the suggestion that poeple are making of reducing advantage of jump-ins, because if anti-airs get a proper buff and or ji attacks have a little bit of their priority reduced, it would be extremely redundant and uneeded.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Lets not lie ourselves the mobility in this game along with super dumb jump attacks some characters have are too strong it can't be denied.

I block most of the jump attacks rather than try to AA them because its not worth the risk, best case scenario is when they just randomly jump on a trajectory that was miss calculated, and you know they move won't reach you, which gives you a room for trip guard punish.

The only time i AA people mostly its only when i'm playing Kung Lao and is still way less than i would on other fighting games where AA are good.

Also, best part of this video, is REO putting people on blast by naming them "Training Mode Experts" haha TME for short.

Last edited:

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
NRS made jumping in MKX that strong completely for sales purposes. They wanted to attract the majority of customers to buy the game and compete with others, Those majority are casuals and players with weak fundamentals and that's how they play fighting games. They jump. All day.
Instead of making mechanics that will help those players to improve they added mechanics to complement their poor play style to compensate their lack of skill.

Now that the game have long reached it's sales peak and casuals already had their fun, I really hope NRS will revert back the mechanics to that of a legit fighting game.
If NRS designed move properties based on how well casual players can invest in the game then Full Auto Jacqui never would've been allowed to live at launch window.

Sorry but shit conspiracy theory is shit.

Solomon Gorondy

Should Goro be top 5?
Goro's jump-ins are bad. Goro is a huge target that floats in the air and has no other air options.
  1. Jump in 1 is short-ranged and it can barely combo if it juggles it's victim.
  2. Jump in 2 is a worse version of Jump in 1.
  3. Jump in 3 pops it's victim in to a juggle state; drastically limiting his combos.
  4. Jump in 4 has better range but knocks it's victim back further than Jump in 3.
  5. His neutral Jumps are fair.
Regardless, it's a great video. I like how he addressed every character in the roster.

iMileena

"I will cut a hole in you"
I'm so glad people are noticing the lack of good anti-airs in the game. It makes it very frustrating when you actually try to do an anti air on reaction but it either whiffs or the opponents jump in actually hits you first especially with cross ups

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
The problem with anti airing in this game is that it's no way near consistent enough.

It's so inconsistent and a full jump in does so much damage, it either deters people to just anti air with uppercut for minimal damage, or it stops people from anti airing entirely without armor because the risk of getting hit is too high. That's just something that should never be an issue. Anti airing should be a staple fundamental thing.

I don't know about you guys but inmk9 i was playing jax, his s1 for jump ins was godlike, but here is just different to catch people jump ins or crossups, i remember tyrant catching crossups with d1, those were good times :)

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
The problem with anti airing in this game is that it's no way near consistent enough.

It's so inconsistent and a full jump in does so much damage, it either deters people to just anti air with uppercut for minimal damage, or it stops people from anti airing entirely without armor because the risk of getting hit is too high. That's just something that should never be an issue. Anti airing should be a staple fundamental thing.
100% agree.

That and teching throws.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Teching throws isn't that bad in this game tbh. I know it's meant to be a 50/50, but for some reason if you're mashing a string say 1212 or 212 it will tech either way.
To me the main problem is that you have to let go of block when you tech a throw, it makes the teching a far riskier read because if it turns out he went for a mix instead I'm eating a combo.

Then again you can sorta react to a throw nowadays if you have decent reactions.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
most people use forward throws, which are hardly tech'd because people are constantly mashing d1 and d3 as an alternate escape option, no one really wants to mash 2, or d2 because in many cases due the uppercut and longer normals to come out, when in fact everyone should be teching with 4 instead of 2, which is safer and less riskier than mashing 2 while crouching to tech a forward throw.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
I've been thinking for a while that characters that don't have any kind of 50/50 (for example Kenshi) maybe should have untechable throws.

If their only "50/50" mixup available consists of block/no block, why should the opponent be given another 50% opportunity to escape the throw?

Of course changing this would be weird because throws are universal mechanics, but I think it could be more fair for characters that don't have 50/50s. Or maybe it's just a crazy idea xD

Last edited:

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
I've been thinking for a while that characters that don't have any kind of 50/50 (for example Kenshi) maybe should have untechable throws.

If their only "50/50" mixup available consists of block/no block, why should the opponent be given another 50% opportunity to escape the throw?

Of course changing this would be weird because throws are universal mechanics, but I think it could be more fair for characters that don't have 50/50s. Or maybe it's just a crazy idea xD
Untechable 17% fisticuffs throws

I like it!

ismael4790

Untechable 17% fisticuffs throws

I like it!
LOL, that would be stupid (although we see things even more stupid than that in the game now)

Well, Fisticuffs has no 50/50s, but has least he has the shitty 11f2 /113 mixup and similars.

I'm thinking about characters that lack even more in mixup department with no threatening offense.

Last edited:

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face

Please don't paste random Youtube comments to this site.

Thanks.

Error404

Noob
Whenever I play a character with a faster njp i just do that on reaction , i don't recall my njp ever loosing to any air button that isn't a longer njp xD

ismael4790

Please don't paste random Youtube comments to this site.

Thanks.
?

If you want you can explain why you disagree.
If not, your answer is more useless than what mine might be for you xD

And if necessary I can give you examples of mid-upper mid tier current chars in the game that prove that implementing this mechanic to certain characters wouldn't be a bad idea.

Last edited:

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
?

If you want you can explain why you disagree.
If not, your answer is more useless than what mine might be for you xD

And if necessary I can give you examples of mid-upper mid tier current chars in the game that prove that implementing this mechanic to certain characters wouldn't be a bad idea.

Making a characters grab untechable essentially just gives them a command grab.

Grabs are dumb in this game, mostly because release block to tech.

ismael4790

Making a characters grab untechable essentially just gives them a command grab.

Grabs are dumb in this game, mostly because release block to tech.
That's exactly the idea, BUT the untechable throw wouldn't be a special, so no tick throws or use as reversal.

When I think about, for example Brawler Cassie, that has a command grab that does 13%, ticks off many things including all hits of a three hits string and a jump kick, has a 18% damage armored version, AND moreover, she has access to 50/50s that can be safe when using meter... and she is not considered a top tier character, I can't see why characters with bad offense tools getting some sort of weak command grab (which is what untechable throw is) is a bad idea.

shura30

Shura
I would love to see some of these players go up against top Ermac, Kung Jin, Sonya, etc. players on Pig's RHS and see them easily anti-air like they say.

The power of jumping or just the fear of a jump is a strong meta for some characters and a big thing in many match ups.
I tend to watch all matches from your, pig's , tom's channel you know, the whole bunch

I never see AA attempts, not even in casuals / long sets
to me the whole argument is biased by the meme
I'll believe any statement, any form of discussion on the subject after I've watched at least a few videos from you lot where your AA get stuffed everytime in general and against top air-to-ground characters

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
I tend to watch all matches from your, pig's , tom's channel you know, the whole bunch

I never see AA attempts, not even in casuals / long sets
to me the whole argument is biased by the meme
I'll believe any statement, any form of discussion on the subject after I've watched at least a few videos from you lot where your AA get stuffed everytime in general and against top air-to-ground characters
While It is hard not to agree with You, You have to admit that considering the meta offense and certain jumps priorities and wired hitboxes the AA system may require some tweaks, regardless of what those guys prefer to do in game sessions. I Am a AA addict. I got my self to AA d1 with Scorpion in MK9 to to the point where people rather eat burning aura 3 times a raw then jumping. Now in this I get fucked so many times for trying. And I know there are requirements for those AA to work but still they really suck. The Risk/Reward is absurd in some cases. Thats my honest thought on the subject.

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
To me the main problem is that you have to let go of block when you tech a throw, it makes the teching a far riskier read because if it turns out he went for a mix instead I'm eating a combo.

Then again you can sorta react to a throw nowadays if you have decent reactions.
I don't know, I've been teching throws much more consistently since the new patch. It's a combination of looking for it and having good reactions.