What's new

Question - Impostor Is Imposter dead?

Bad Genez

Green
Now that the Boneshaper bandwagon has (more or less) left the building, where are all of my Imposters at?

I've been maining Imposter since day 1, and still firmly stand by my decision that it is the best of his variations for about half the cast. I know that Boneshaper is appealing and all, especially after all the hype, but I'm seeing Boneshapers against characters like Quan Chi and Scorpion, which in my opinion is actually absurd. I've also noticed that the combo thread has yet to be updated with all the max damage potential, character specific Mimicry setups, and had half a mind to make a video of my own this morning showcasing them all.

All in all, this forum is dead, and this variation I think is back to being slept on, and considering everyone seems to think BS will be getting a nerf next patch, what are everyone's thoughts on Imposter making maybe a comeback?

Bad Genez

Green
I'm actually currently making a video. I believe this variation is slept on pretty hard. The pressure is sick. The mobility is nice.
Meh, might as well delete all my clips then lol. I agree heavily though, and the Tricky Tele provides some seriously interesting gimmicks provided you set it up correctly.

where all dem Shinnoks tho

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
Well as a Shinnok main, the problem is most Shinnok players are not using the variation system to counter matchup. Which is something Shinnok does really well.

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
I'm actually currently making a video. I believe this variation is slept on pretty hard. The pressure is sick. The mobility is nice.
You impressed sooooooo many people at EVO ever since you first showed up at the MGM, can't wait to see it!

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
I'm still using imposter since I made the switch from day 1 bone shaper. I personally like the mobility better and the ridiculous vortexs you can get in some MUs. I just wished that we could combo off of f4 in some MUs like that characters themselves can. Kung Lao spin, Sub ice ball, and Kitana lift cannot be comboed off of a f4 starter.

Bad Genez

Green
I'm still using imposter since I made the switch from day 1 bone shaper. I personally like the mobility better and the ridiculous vortexs you can get in some MUs. I just wished that we could combo off of f4 in some MUs like that characters themselves can. Kung Lao spin, Sub ice ball, and Kitana lift cannot be comboed off of a f4 starter.
I randomly went into practice today with Sub v Shinnok and it looked like F4, ice ball hit, I could be mistaken though

PlatypusVortex

15 time Evo champion
Ive been playing him since day one and have no intention of switching to boneshaper anytime soon. Mimicry is just such a powerful move that landing just one can completly change the course of a match. The second it hits i smile because you instantly have control over the momentum now.

I randomly went into practice today with Sub v Shinnok and it looked like F4, ice ball hit, I could be mistaken though
Doesn't connect.

I've been maining Impostor since day one as well, and I still feel like it's a very strong variation, but not nearly as good as Boneshaper. I also wish that they would buff bf1 because it's hella useless atm.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
he is not entirely dead, but close to it. Impostor was considered low tier before the nerf, and even tho I think he was underrated, the nerf got him pretty hard.

if I could balance shinnok, I'd create a special version of the HLs for Impostor so that he can have his +24 (and perhaps something else) and nerf Bone Shaper projectile's block frames, something like -6. I don't know necromancer enough to say anything about him.

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
I play as Imposter cause I figured bone shaper wouldn't be in this condition for long. Some shenanigans are really fun and you can quite easily get flawless victories on people who don't know how to stop the pressure.
The vortex is easily setup but the struggle seems to be that outside of that vortex there's nothing special about Imposter Shinnok. Reguardless he isn't my main. I use him against bad matchups for Reptile so Shinnok works fine for me.

snort

Noob
I main imposter still, since day 1. I only switch to boneshaper in very bad matchups for imposter like a Kung Jin or Takeda.

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
Let the mathematics answer to your question,safe strings,amazing zoning,meter builder, and a 7 frame low starter that leads to 50/50, so yes the other two variations are dead!!!!!

Bad Genez

Green
Let the mathematics answer to your question,safe strings,amazing zoning,meter builder, and a 7 frame low starter that leads to 50/50, so yes the other two variations are dead!!!!!
He's not an amazing zoner, have you even played Shinnok? BS also has a 50/50, and f4 is universal. That wasn't constructive at all.

At any rate, everyone's saying basically what I'm thinking; Imposter is strong, just underused. I don't think people are really taking advantage of Mimicry correctly, they see a special move that doesn't give a free Vortex and it's hur hur Boneshaper all the way. Until I can start showing at offline events regularly, I'd love to see someother high level love for Imposter.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Obviously I haven't been paying attention. What got nerfed? #vortexstillOP
The vortex is amazing, I agree BUT without meter he still can't do shit and his new pressure and meter building are real bad now. Also he doesn't always have the vortex.

Bad Genez

Green
The vortex is amazing, I agree BUT without meter he still can't do shit and his new pressure and meter building are real bad now. Also he doesn't always have the vortex.
Only off of f4 does he need meter to vortex in most cases, and that's what people are expecting, so when b3 hits you get a meterless, damage buffed vortex. It's not always there, but if you're conditioning right you shouldn't have to MB every single combo. I don't get how his meter building is worse, you still didn't say what they nerfed.

I know about Hell Sparks being +14 but I'm not sure how that would be detrimental to meter building.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
It's not dead. It was about equal with boneshaper, then boneshaper got buffed and is the superior variation now. But imposter is better in some matchup. Just because BS is better doesn't mean imposter is bad, it's really good, just not as good as BS.