What's new

Question - Hunter Is hunter better than lex from injustice?

omooba

fear the moobs
i remember on honeybee's stream, sonic fox said something along the line of predator being a trap character done right unlike lex. i was wondering what anyone who plays both of these guys thinks.

i think hunter isn't that good since the nerf and i never played lex but lex seems to have a lot more tools. then again comparing different game's characters is hard so idk

BlackViper415

TYM's Head Herpetologist
Like you said, it's hard to compare two different characters in two different games. But from a matchup perspective, Lex had some nigh-unwinnable matchups like Zod. From what I understand about Hunter, he has no really glaring matchup losses like that. So in the context of matchup numbers, I would say that Hunter is a stronger character in this game than Lex was in Injustuce.

omooba

fear the moobs
again i didn't play lex but i feel like the reason zod was a terrible match up is the gun shots made it so he couldn't start any set ups. wouldn't the same happened if hunter faced cassie? idk i might be under thinking this

BlackViper415

TYM's Head Herpetologist
again i didn't play lex but i feel like the reason zod was a terrible match up is the gun shots made it so he couldn't start any set ups. wouldn't the same happened if hunter faced cassie? idk i might be under thinking this
It's a lot easier to close the distance in this game overall. With the addition of the run button and other anti-zoning mechanics like the strength of jump ins, Predator is going to have a much easier time closing in on Cassie simply because of the mechanics of the game. Predator is also a faster character than Lex, making it easier for him to get in. The difference is Injustice's mechanics gave some strong power to zoners and unlike Doomsday, Bane, or Flash, poor Lex just didn't get enough dirt to compensate for the system that was kind of putting him at a disadvantage. MKX has a much lower focus on zoning. Just by virtue of the engine Predator is better suited to deal with zoning.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
especially not when it's made before it can be properly formulated
Ideas are properly formulated based on available information and will be falsified at a later date based on new discoveries. Else we'd be still going on about how the Earth is flat and the Sun is circling it, or we'd never have even bothered to look at stellar physics saying that we do not have the means to discern it. I do agree that making final assumptions is wrong (see T-Hawk for example) but not saying anything about anything because it may be proven wrong at a later date is counterproductive to any means of science currently known to man.

tafka Djinn

One for three off the roof
Former Lex player here, currently using Pred as a second: Can confirm, Hunter is a much better trap character. Better normals, speed feels immeasurably better, and even after the nerf his damage is amazing.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
There are a few things in common between these characters, for example tools that they rely on for their post-KD setups. However, I don't feel like their neutral game is anything alike. Sure, base game mech has a lot to do with it, but still.

Lex was about KD setups and setting an obstacle course for opponent to cross (depending on MU), here I think that this latter latter part isn't really applied. But then again, MKX is much less zoning friendly in general, so maybe I'm just looking for wrong things... Or I'm simply bad and I don't see them.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Simplifying the perspective, when there was a good Lex - it was surprising and unique. When there is a good Hunter, he's just fulfilling our expectations.
Well, I don't think it's the only issue. Thing is, traps hunter uses are mostly for KD setups (everyone and their mom has them in MKX, more or less) and as a projectile, especially the air ones. That's not very unique for MKX cast tbh.

But like I said, maybe I just haven't seen good hunters that weren't using just day 1 tech.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Well, I don't think it's the only issue. Thing is, traps hunter uses are mostly for KD setups (everyone and their mom has them in MKX, more or less) and as a projectile, especially the air ones. That's not very unique for MKX cast tbh.

But like I said, maybe I just haven't seen good hunters that weren't using just day 1 tech.
I've seen a solid amount of good Hunters. Good Lex's seemed like an anomaly.

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick
It's safe to say that MKX is in a way, a better game than injustice because it has no unwinnable matchups.
So Hunter is likely to be better than Lex.
I don't believe it's better than IGAU especially for the reason you threw out

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I've seen a solid amount of good Hunters. Good Lex's seemed like an anomaly.
Well, I was mostly saying that in the context of playstyle. As in: hunter doesn't seem to mirror Lex playstyle besides KD pressure, but maybe I've never seen people using traps as something besides offensive, opening up setup because I've never seen how dedicated hunter mains / just good players who know the character well play.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Well, I was mostly saying that in the context of playstyle. As in: hunter doesn't seem to mirror Lex playstyle besides KD pressure, but maybe I've never seen people using traps as something besides offensive, opening up setup because I've never seen how dedicated hunter mains / just good players who know the character well play.
I ran with him for a while, just as an experiment - and I was punching way above my weight class.

Even after the "fixes", Hunter remains, really, really good. His offense can completely overwhelm with a little practice.

Lex's offense was very situational, while with Hunter - you just rinse and repeat. Don't get me wrong, I love playing against Hunter - but learning how to play him isn't very difficult. Once you get his execution down, his meta is pretty simple. Lex's meta was considerably more complex.