What's new

Question Is catwoman really S tier?

Hey guys, do you guys agree or disagree with Catwoman being S tier due to her F1 overhead buff? I personally haven't really tried version 1.03 Catwoman but I still think she loses to the same matchups...

killa_solid

Friendly--foe
Well in addition to her f1, two of her bad mu chars got nerfed. I believe that's a reason why she is being brought up to S.

jimzam

Noob
i fought a catwoman today and it was hard. she can jump in and do safe 50/50s all day at no risk. good thing i play aquaman cause trait helped a lot =) but man she is a bitch now for sure

killer frost is easier to keep out but vs catwoman u really cant

Ill have a different looking list soon with some of our SoCal guys.

Dont be a victim to what two people think. No tier list is perfect.

With that said... West Coast list coming soon...

I had to go against a green lantern in grand finals at BAM5 and the guy played the matchup really smart... He basically zoned and chiped me out with the trait and full screen machine gun... The overhead simply won't help against hard core zoners... she even has trouble getting in on Batman cause of the two hits on the batterang... Point is, zoners still are a big problem imo as she doesn't have a real way of countering them...

jimzam

Noob
I had to go against a green lantern in grand finals at BAM5 and the guy played the matchup really smart... He basically zoned and chiped me out with the trait and full screen machine gun... The overhead simply won't help against hard core zoners... she even has trouble getting in on Batman cause of the two hits on the batterang... Point is, zoners still are a big problem imo as she doesn't have a real way of countering them...
aquaman is s tier yet he has over 5+ losing mus...

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
She isn't s tier atm IMO, but I think in time she can work her way up their with her bad MUs (top tier chars) getting nerfed.

SLy

Noob
I feel like on paper she looks incredible. But I doubt she's S tier though. She still has questionable match ups that can possibly sway in her opponents favor when characters get developed a lot more and vice versa. Don't believe the hype man. Its all match up ignorance at this point.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Believe it or not, GL is not too bad.

My thoughts on her fix is that it made her more annoying to play against. The fix was good because it validated her cross ups as a true mix up now, considering you can hold down to block.

However, I could do well without it. What she needed was two hits of armor on her MB catdash to get through her bad match-ups like batman and characters with multiple hitting projectiles.

If she beats deathstroke now, its not because of her fix, but because deathstroke got changed.

Whatever the case, she is good. Can even be S tier, but thats up for discussion. Not something you can call the day of the patch.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Yeah I would have preferred 2 hits of armor on MB CatDash over the new overhead. But it's going to make her much for ferocious up close, and her hard knockdown pressure is gonna be scarier too. She'll still have the same problems she always had, but when she does finally get her game rolling, it'll be more effective.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Yeah I would have preferred 2 hits of armor on MB CatDash over the new overhead. But it's going to make her much for ferocious up close, and her hard knockdown pressure is gonna be scarier too. She'll still have the same problems she always had, but when she does finally get her game rolling, it'll be more effective.
As far as I can tell, her design is supposed to have these problems. So I'm guessing the meta-game is to knock your opponent down into endless resets of death.

Similar to what I found with Cyrax in the corner, I have a special treat for you guys coming soon.

Why the hell do I always choose great mix-up characters who get zoned out?

I swear I chose Catwoman before she was even announced, you can ask my local scene... lol

DOOMSDAY-15RUS-

i'LL DESTROY YOU ALL
As far as I can tell, her design is supposed to have these problems. So I'm guessing the meta-game is to knock your opponent down into endless resets of death.

Similar to what I found with Cyrax in the corner, I have a special treat for you guys coming soon.

Why the hell do I always choose great mix-up characters who get zoned out?

I swear I chose Catwoman before she was even announced, you can ask my local scene... lol
yeah why cyrax player play catwoman if she is similar to reptile, why geremiah play doomsday if he is not similar like his mk ch at all etc ?

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I'd love it if we could ignore tier lists here in the Catwoman community and just focus on strategies and tech discovery.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
This times a million. This character has been changing rapidly. The hard knockdowns. The F1 buff. The double F3 combos. Whatever Krayzie says he has coming. I have a big video coming out.

Let's just keep it focused on what she can do.

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
I literally just started looking into catwoman. What threads should I look through to read about these resets?
Edit: Never mind

SLy

Noob
For anyone who's played AE, she reminds me of the ibuki of this game. Her match ups depend on how strongly she can vortex. I feel like the more options added to her game the better she will get as a character.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
I dont think Catwoman can be S tier in a game of zoning unless her normal cat dash gets armour and is positive on block.
Or maybe cat claws gets some crazy Doomsday earth shake properties and hits overhead and low and leads to a combo
We can all dream

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I literally just started looking into catwoman. What threads should I look through to read about these resets?
Edit: Never mind
She doesn`t have resets. Her combos end in hard knockdowns like 1F2, 122, DF3, and F3. They can`t tech roll, so they have to either block correctly as her mixups come in, or do a wakeup attack which could be blocked and punished.

Check out the threads on Double F3, any combo thread, and my Science Of Catwoman video in the forum. That will get you started.

Ra Helios

Omnipotent God-like Selina Kyle Player
i fought a catwoman today and it was hard. she can jump in and do safe 50/50s all day at no risk. good thing i play aquaman cause trait helped a lot =) but man she is a bitch now for sure

What is a 50/50 at no risk. Give me a example because I don't understand codes

webreg

Noob
At least two attack strings where one starts low and the other starts as an overhead or the same string where one hit (usually the last) is either a low or an overhead. The string needs to lead into a combo to be viable and even better are strings where the attacker can confirm if the opponent guessed right before deciding to continue with unsafe special attacks (no risk). If an opponent wakes up from the ground after a knockdown he has to guess whether he has to block the next string low or high. This means there is a 50% chance (50/50) that the attacker can successfully continue his damage with a new string.

In order to be a true 50/50 the low and overhead have to be indistinguishable from each other in the sense that there is not enough time to foresee it in any way. CatWoman had other overhead options before the change but they were either slower or embedded into different strings. An opponent with quick reflexes could therefore react with the right block and didn't have to guess.

Now she has two strings that either start with a low or an overhead, are both fast, lead to a considerable combo and their success can be confirmed. Previously opponents could just block low and on reaction block high because the overheads were slower and easier to see. This obviously only impacts high level play. Scrubs and newbies like me and the people I play against couldn't react to them previously and they can't now so this change means nothing to me personally.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
yeah why cyrax player play catwoman if she is similar to reptile, why geremiah play doomsday if he is not similar like his mk ch at all etc ?
I play doomsday and mained Sheeva too like Jeremiah, they have alot of similarities. Long reaching but slow normals, a teleport stomp like move, air grab, you have to make good reads on when to use meter when to attack, when to counter. I find I can only play characters that suit the way I play and both Dooms and Sheeva are fairly similar IMO, Dooms is just a better version.