What's new

Is anyone even gonna bother with custom variations?

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Not if it's not allowed in ranked. I want to play by the tourney rules. Shame because I loved the idea of custom variations but im not going to bother doing them in kasauls if those stat/augment things are allowed, I hate that this isn't a rpg lol

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
I don’t know what group I belong in. I love fighting games. I get good at fighting games. I grew up playing fighting games in the arcades. I even won my local GameStop Super SFIV, MK9, SFxTekken, Injustice and MKX tournaments, and yet, I hate competing. I hate online play, I hate local play.

I like putting the difficulty on normal and doing cool combos on brain dead cpu opponents. Mortal Kombat lore is my Lord of the Rings / Star Wars / Harry Potter. Story mode and ladder endings are my most anticipated thing about every new MK game. Above all else, I like learning every single character in the game, then taking them though arcade ladder.

So for me, absolutely I’m gonna use custom variations. If I can make 3 completely different versions of every character, i’ve tripled the roster. Is the flag variation of Baraka worthless and the worst variation of Baraka to play ? Yea ... but Dan is also the worst shoto to play in SF but he’s still fun to play as.

Besides, even if custom variations were allowed for ranked / tournament, within a few days the meta will get sorted and everyone will pick the most optimized version of each character.
Yeah im pretty much in the same boat... I like the towers & such... I main random select... I play fighting games for fun... I have kids & dogs & a wife jumping on me & doing all sorts of stuff around me & mostly hate humans so id never get into competition... I get in enough real fights being a bouncer...I do like watching the pro tournaments and seeing them get down though...

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
definitely.

for one...so many of the variation titles are uncreative and silly. "Boon's Main" "Not Easy Being" "Kaballin". I get what they were going for but goodness. I'm all about a good pun but goodness. maybe some were placeholders, I dunno but i doubt it. in a matter of minutes I found way better titles for Skarlet. But that isn't the point of course. I liked having the control to pick moves, etc.
Those names are not final. They were just there to show off the customization aspect. They already confirmed that the variations in the beta are NOT the final variations for competitive play.

W40k Erron Black

Ready to eat lead?
I don’t know what group I belong in. I love fighting games. I get good at fighting games. I grew up playing fighting games in the arcades. I even won my local GameStop Super SFIV, MK9, SFxTekken, Injustice and MKX tournaments, and yet, I hate competing. I hate online play, I hate local play.

I like putting the difficulty on normal and doing cool combos on brain dead cpu opponents. Mortal Kombat lore is my Lord of the Rings / Star Wars / Harry Potter. Story mode and ladder endings are my most anticipated thing about every new MK game. Above all else, I like learning every single character in the game, then taking them though arcade ladder.

So for me, absolutely I’m gonna use custom variations. If I can make 3 completely different versions of every character, i’ve tripled the roster. Is the flag variation of Baraka worthless and the worst variation of Baraka to play ? Yea ... but Dan is also the worst shoto to play in SF but he’s still fun to play as.

Besides, even if custom variations were allowed for ranked / tournament, within a few days the meta will get sorted and everyone will pick the most optimized version of each character.
I couldn't have said it any better.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
Yes. I have names for my faves.

Cetrion will have SUCCESSrion, PERFECTrion, and WHERESRAINrion as her three custom variations.

Shang Tsung will have Your Soul, My Soul, and David Soul as his three custom variations.

Sonya will have Legend Blade, Johnny Keep Away Blade, and Death to Kano as her three custom variations.

I will name them all. Hours of fun.

Poto2222

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015.
I hate NRS for this, but most certainly not. If I can't use them in competitive modes, then I have no reason to play around with them.

Goddammit, and after the Beta I had so much hope for customs in the full game. Ugh.

They should add a tournament variations only mode for player matches. That way we can still practice against other players using the nrs defined variations before we take them into ranked.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
Since when did ranked matter? This thread is a surprise.

@patmc93 I assume you can do either. In Injustice 2 you could create a competitive or non-competitive king of the hill. Since competitive mode seems to just be different because of the 2 presets then I assume you can do either in this game as well.

So as characters have been getting revealed, I've kind of been mentally making loadouts with abilities i like the most. Now obviously custom variations aren't going to be in ranked. And since this site is for all things competitive mk, I'm curious as to know if anyone is gonna make custom variations. Me personally, I dont see myself making them even i decide not to play ranked just bc I'd rather not get used to playstyles that I wouldn't be able to play in ranked and cant learn from pros who mix and match abilities
I hope at least for all online play you can use custom variations, I can see why tournaments wont use them, but I dont see why online cant have em

Quantus

Rain for MK12 Kombat Pack 3
Prediction: The people who are going to lab customs "in preparation for new variations being added" so that they are months ahead, have no idea how quickly other people pick up new characters/abilities/systems, and are going to be shocked when the get mopped day 1 after whatever patch.

Tournament / "competitive" modes -- "variations" (or "slots"): ON
Player / 'uncompetitive' modes -- "slots": OFF (...or increased to six(6) / 50% of a given character's available non-vanilla move-set)

Why can't we just all live in peace, harmony and non-binary, non-judgemental, orgiastic hedonism? (...but, without any infant feeding font cleavage showing /!\)

:(