What's new

Is anyone even gonna bother with custom variations?

FreshPrinceOfPine

You think you're bad?
So as characters have been getting revealed, I've kind of been mentally making loadouts with abilities i like the most. Now obviously custom variations aren't going to be in ranked. And since this site is for all things competitive mk, I'm curious as to know if anyone is gonna make custom variations. Me personally, I dont see myself making them even i decide not to play ranked just bc I'd rather not get used to playstyles that I wouldn't be able to play in ranked and cant learn from pros who mix and match abilities

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
When I decide what character I'm playing, I might horse around with abilities that aren't yet competitive because they might be added in the future. I wouldn't use them so extensively as to develop my gameplay around them, but I think it'd be good to be familiar with them for the future in case they are part of official presets introduced post-launch. Staying ahead of the curve and whatnot. Additionally, it'd be fun to "wishlist" an ideal moveset for those future presets. NRS is always listening, after all.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
I only used custom variations on the beta so I guess I'll be using player matches simply because of the custom variations.

I also think that alot of people will play player matches for this reason, probably more than ranked, which will force them to implement custom variations in ranked.

It would save them grief if they just did it before launch.

Last edited:

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Yes and no.

I will mess around with them but inlay nce I've dabbled with the competition variations.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I will. If it limits me to player matches and not ranked then so be it. Online in general (apart from friends) is a new mission for me. I am confident it will jump over to ranked though and I will be ready.

They will probably keep tournament mode pure for as long as they can unless their presets end up being more unbalanced than the customs lol.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Custom variations would be fun and all, but I'm relieved that the task of training for each MU is waaaay more manageable having to learn only two variations per character. So I'll definitely start there. It will probably be a while before I bother with customs, and then only if it looks like they'll definitely be added to competitive modes.

podizzler3000

http://streamable.com/ti5z
definitely since i love playing FT5 and FT10 sets in player match even if people dont follow the typical ranked rules of character locks.

"Bother"??... It's literally one of the key selling points of the game for me (and others, I'd wager)!

Imagine playing only the "vanilla" version of the game's characters, leaving perhaps a dozen special abilities just sit there as 'dead data'... You know, like in Injustice 2!

>not sure if NRS sponsored damage-control / shillbot thread

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I am absolutely going to test custom variations. I will use it as a way to lab and find broken moves/tech so it can get balanced. I want to use my characters to thier full potential and want my Noob/Liu Kang/Cassie/Sub Zero to be unique and potray who I am as a player. I will mostly train with tournament viable options when doing matchups but I don't wanna go into it blind.
Eventually we will have 5 variations and hopefully custom variations once it's relatively balanced. So it would be counter productive not to learn customs

Xelz

Go over there!
Since player matches will match based on skill and disable augments, I’ll happily play with custom variations. And honestly I enjoy playing a lot of games in a row against an opponent rather than the one-set-and-done system in ranked, so ranked doesn’t offer much appeal to me.