What's new

Instant Pause Rematching ON STREAM

There's no need for a quick restart in the FIRST COMPETITIVE MATCHES IN THE GAME'S HISTORY.
This, but I wouldn't even call them competitive matches. It was an exhibition match, nothing more.

The whole purpose was to show how the game plays in the hands of top level players & along with that show off the new finishers. For that reason alone they should have been played out start to end.

In a tournament situation, i think it'd be nice if there's an option where pause is blocked after the last hit (or something similar) so you can't get the quick restart. Chances are most players will just finish with an uppercut/sweep whatever, but if a finisher is done then at least it won't be cut off.

Although i don't really care for fatalities these days, it's fun the first few times, but then it's just a drag. Brutalities though... that's where it's at. Quick and clean, no fumbling for buttons, time wasting, etc... just love them!

Last edited:

MK Led

Umbasa
It's just throwing a tantrum that you lost a round. It's stupid. Man up and let the thing play out.
Do you ever sit down with friends and play fighting games for a few hours offline? The instant rematch feature is so unbelievably handy for quick rematches in this setting that it makes games like SFV seem like an eternity passes between matches. The time it saves really does add up if you're playing for many hours at a time.

I said my piece earlier in this thread concerning fatalities/win animations on stream, but I think people shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the quick restart as a thing only sore losers do. Throwing a tantrum to me is when people unplug their internet or turn off the game/console mid match, etc. Or throwing controllers/leaving early in a tournament setting.

trufenix

bye felicia
why can't this be left to player / to discretion again?

Has anyone here actually turned off a stream cause they did or didn't allow a win pose / fatality?

It's just so weird that this is only a thing in our games? People end rounds with drawn out supers all the time in other games- why is it only a thing we do here?

I think that's part of the confusion. We generally don't see anything wrong with it but when it's a big event that attracts alot of the viewers from other communities it just looks bad.

Also for the Tweedy vs Sonic match, I had totally thought it was Tweedy that skipped and apparently it wasn't. And since it's kinda natural to assume it's the losing player being salty and not wanting to see their character get wailed on more- it feels sorta messed up to skip as the winner. At the very least leave it to the loser's discretion.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
why can't this be left to player / to discretion again?

Has anyone here actually turned off a stream cause they did or didn't allow a win pose / fatality?
That’s why I said players can do whatever they wanted. It seems quite a few people didn’t read that part. I’m just encouraging them to let it rock on stream. Don’t have to, up to the player.

MrWarMachine

Jacqui/D'Vorah 2020
People who do that are just salty they lost and can't handle watching a Fatality or a Brutality. Get over it, it's part of the game. It's like people wanting to ban touchdown dances or post-dunk celebrations in the NBA and NFL. You're being no fun cause you can't handle losing.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Controversial opinion:

I think sets should always end in a fatality or brutality(or any other available -ality)

Every match would be far too much, but watching tourneys where it seems like almost no one is doing this kinda lame.

Even though I’ve seen them all so many time, watching someone pull off a comeback in a set and then hitting the loser with a finisher is cathartic.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Yeah as a viewer the pause/restart thing can be kind of annoying. Idk why though? I can't put my finger on it because its not like I need to see the same fatality for the 76th time, but I like how in SF for example they at least let it get to the win screen before they play the next game.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Yeah as a viewer the pause/restart thing can be kind of annoying. Idk why though? I can't put my finger on it because its not like I need to see the same fatality for the 76th time, but I like how in SF for example they at least let it get to the win screen before they play the next game.
It’s because of the reasons I stated in the OP, imo. To me, it has nothing to do with seeing the same ‘ality for the thousandth time.

I am all against the pause rematch on stream. It ruins momentum, it ruins the catarthic feeling of the match ending, ruins the hype. It just feels dissatisfactory. A very irritating feeling.
In fact, the other FG tournaments strongly prohibit pause button unless super special circumstances.
Usually the pausing player is penalized by forfeiting a round. I hope this will be a thing with MK11 as well. You pause even if you already lost? You surrender next round.
I hope NRS include the "disable the pause after K.O" feature for tournament mode.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
I think for the first few tournaments we should let intros and fatals play out just because it can get people interested in the game if they see all the cool shit. but if people are complaining because they can't see the fatals year 2 then they just need to hold that.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I am all against the pause rematch on stream. It ruins momentum, it ruins the catarthic feeling of the match ending, ruins the hype. It just feels dissatisfactory. A very irritating feeling.
In fact, the other FG tournaments strongly prohibit pause button unless super special circumstances.
Usually the pausing player is penalized by forfeiting a round. I hope this will be a thing with MK11 as well. You pause even if you already lost? You surrender next round.
I hope NRS include the "disable the pause after K.O" feature for tournament mode.
Right, and to me it seems like it’s a very easy to see issue. I don’t know how you can call it a made up fabricated issue when so many people, including viewers, commentators, etc, have complained about it. If it weren’t at all an issue, we wouldn’t be talking about it right now.

Now I’m not saying it’s gonna make or break the game, community, etc. It’s definitely not that big of a deal, but no one said it was. But the denial is weird to me.

Also, to those who mentioned it, I never said people turn off the stream immediately if someone does the instant pause rematch. I said I believe it hurts viewership in the long run. With the amount of people I see complain about it who aren’t just random people, who aren’t just some stream monsters, who ARE actual known players or commentators, I don’t think it’s at ALL a reach to suggest that it MAY be a factor in declining viewership. Wanting hard evidence I can respect, that makes sense. It’s very tough to get that evidence, but I understand that line of reasoning. What I don’t understand is being unwilling to even entertain it. If you were to say “it’s possible, but without actual data and evidence, there’s not much to go on to support your claims”, or something to that effect, I could totally respect and understand that. Idk though, just seems very strange to be so hard pressed to claim it isn’t an issue when you ALSO don’t have evidence to support that claim.

I think for the first few tournaments we should let intros and fatals play out just because it can get people interested in the game if they see all the cool shit. but if people are complaining because they can't see the fatals year 2 then they just need to hold that.
I think we might as well disable "Finish him" for tournaments, as fatalities don't bring anything on the table. We still have brutalities. Thus we will have beautiful and proper game ending.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I think we might as well disable "Finish him" for tournaments, as fatalities don't bring anything on the table. We still have brutalities. Thus we will have beautiful and proper game ending.
They bring a lot to the table. Which adds to my point. Doing fatalities over and over can annoy the opponent, and get in their head. I once asked REO why he did a fatality on me every time he won (in UMK3), his response was “to increase your rage meter”. In fact, it’s funny because if you dropped on the fatality back in the day you were seen as a lowly rage quitter. Now it’s normalized and it’s wild to me how different the mentality is these days.