What's new

Injustice - NowGamer interviews Hector on Lessons Learned, Balanacing and the Future

astronout

see you at the top.
niiice. I'm in the surrounding metro area. Gaithersburg, MD to be exact. Work in Tyson's Corner.
really? that's awesome dude. there's a small scene of offline players throughout the DMV area. We have a weekly meetup in Northern Virginia, specifically, Gainesville, if you're interested.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
So you're saying this is shit?
Let me answer honestly

If I had your connection I wouldn't play MK9 online, nor have any expectations of quality online gaming

I remember 10 years ago playing Warcraft 3 on a 10 down 2 up on PC and it was laggy at times

In perspective man I get 1-1.3 upload on a 3G connection in some areas w my Verizon iPhone

Pig Of The Hut

I've had fantastic MK connections (@astronout, even while he's streaming it's great) and I've had atrocious MK connections.

The MK servers aren't great (6.5 outta 10) but the user base also doesn't help with wireless connections or running a bunch of other bandwidth intensive things along with playing.
^^^^^^^^^^

This is what's up

I'll play u any day if the week at any hour lol

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I'm gonna try to upgrade my Internet soon, not sure what I've got here in Ohio though. Once I get a new TV for my back room I'll be able to finally go wired. :D

Is there anything I should keep an eye out for?

Pig Of The Hut

I'm gonna try to upgrade my Internet soon, not sure what I've got here in Ohio though. Once I get a new TV for my back room I'll be able to finally go wired. :D

Is there anything I should keep an eye out for?
Wired
A higher than 3-4 up
Anything above 20-25 on down

Reactions: RYX

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
You know, all this talk about network bandwidth has me thinking. There are a lot of factors:

Download speed: This is probably one of the more critical factors, because this controls your ability to receive the necessary information to update your game, from the game server. This would include what your opponent is doing, as well as any other factors that keep a game synced.

Upload Speed: This controls the rate at which you can send updates to the game server; but I'd imagine it takes a lot less to send your position and control inputs than it does to receive the incoming server/gamestate updates.

Packet Loss: This one is critical. You can have a great download speed -- but if packets are getting dropped, then data has to be resent, which slows everything down. It's a fact of life on the internet -- sometimes things get lost in transmission; but they way in which you handle this and re-sync the gameplay has a big effect on the player experience.

Ping: The time it takes a packet to roundtrip from the server, back to you. Without a decent ping, you can't have a responsive gameplay experience; but if packets are dropping then your actual ping will fluctuate regardless of how long it takes the packets that make it through to come back.

There are a lot more elements in play to have a good, stable connection between two parties in two seperate locations in an online game than just your raw bandwidth on a speedtest.

So:

What I was thinking about doing, is running my PS3 through a proxy to see how much bandwidth is actually being used when playing MK9, and what's going on with the packets. We can speculate, but that'd at least tell you what the basic requirements are. Chances are it may be different than what's been assumed.

trufenix

bye felicia
Liu Kang's instant air fireball in Mortal Kombat 2. If done consistently, without gaps, fighting against it becomes next to impossible to overcome. Nonetheless, I was speaking hypothetically. I meant that one could create a character who only needed a single move to dominate an entire fighting game. I'm sure anyone could think of a single, hypothetical move that they could create that would be virtually unbeatable. I wasn't saying that such moves were commonplace in fighters, only that they could be created, whereas the opposite is true in a sport like basketball. That was the point of my 7'1" super basketball player.

You didn't put stipulations on your request.
My point is this. The science doesn't back up the hypothesis. It simply has never happened. It's like saying my proof that airplanes aren't safe is based on crash statistics of amateur pilots from back in the 1950s.

Saying the outcome of a basketball game is determined solely by a single player or a top tier character by a single move is flat out ridiculous.

really? that's awesome dude. there's a small scene of offline players throughout the DMV area. We have a weekly meetup in Northern Virginia, specifically, Gainesville, if you're interested.
ahhh interesting. Yea man, I'm down. Im no tournament-level player by any means, but I'm no scrub either haha. PM me.

BlackCyborg

I am Arkham

Yeahhh...not the best, but it's the best my area can offer. We pay for 25mbs down, but we definitely don't get that. Seems like our connection constantly has issues. So who knows...

But for the record, online gaming is usually fine for me. Play all kinds of shooters etc. and rarely have lag.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Sigh... Gaming online doesn't require any more than 2-5Mbps down and 1 up. What KILLS online play is your ping time from your system to your ISP and to the service (XBL/PSN) or server. DSL ping is huge and why it is not recommended for online play.

Pig Of The Hut

Sigh... Gaming online doesn't require any more than 2-5Mbps down and 1 up. What KILLS online play is your ping time from your system to your ISP and to the service (XBL/PSN) or server. DSL ping is huge and why it is not recommended for online play.
Is there a ranking of ISPs based on ping?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
If you guys saw my connection, you'd cry. I can play Pig with a decent connection, however.

Your ping is a way bigger deal than your upload speed, really.

That said, again, realistically, all of our connections are terrible when you look at average internet in other countries, specifically Asian countries. But that does not mean we have terrible connections for online play. Netcodes nowadays are extremely advanced and, in a few years, there shouldn't be a reason any game would have poor online play, regardless of connection speed, unless you're running DSL.

RYX, what part of Ohio are you from?

Konqrr, it's dependent on the DSL as well. My connection is DSL, but ping is generally better than cable.

Pig Of The Hut

If you guys saw my connection, you'd cry. I can play Pig with a decent connection, however.

Your ping is a way bigger deal than your upload speed, really.

That said, again, realistically, all of our connections are terrible when you look at average internet in other countries, specifically Asian countries. But that does not mean we have terrible connections for online play. Netcodes nowadays are extremely advanced and, in a few years, there shouldn't be a reason any game would have poor online play, regardless of connection speed, unless you're running DSL.

RYX, what part of Ohio are you from?

Konqrr, it's dependent on the DSL as well. My connection is DSL, but ping is generally better than cable.
youre right but most people's connection coincides with their ping