What's new

Injustice - NowGamer interviews Hector on Lessons Learned, Balanacing and the Future

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
With all of the Injustice news continuing to pour in we now have an interview with Hector Sanchez going over deep details concerning Injustice "in the making". They discuss everything you might want to know from who all (no names yet) came in to test out the game, help balanace and help with its development to the lessons NetherRealm learned with Mortal Kombat and beyond. Everything from Evo experiences to how this game aims to be a blockbuster.

NetherRealm Studios is doing their absolute best to make everyone feel at home and as you'll read below... they're doing a damn good job.

adam2.jpg

"Is it just Mortal Kombat players you brought in or other guys like Justin Wong, PR Balrog and so on?

We’ll be announcing who we brought in but it wasn’t only Mortal Kombat players. We brought in some top Marvel players as well, some legendary Street Fighter players and some well-known SF x Tekken players came in.

It wouldn’t have made sense just to bring in the MK fighting crowd, although we brought those guys in. We also wanted to get other guys to come in and play as well. Some of the Marvel guys came in and they shared some experiences that they had with the game that we completely adjusted, so that they feel more at home as well. We’re trying to reach as many people as possible with the game.

Outside of balancing, is there anything else having tournament players involved in development helped with?

The background interactive objects. Some of them were a little more overpowered, some of them had too much cooldown. We were seeing some players being really cheap, going to corner and spamming the Batmobile missiles and zone away, so there was no way to get in on them. As soon as they got control of the corner it was over and there was nothing people can do. So we increased the cooldown on those kind of things.

Seeing people exploiting the tools of the game for their benefit helped us balance it, which is going to make the game a better experience later on.

And they were fully appreciative of it. We flew them out, we put them up in a hotel and they got to play a game and help develop a game. Their names are in the credits. It was a good experience for everyone involved."
Continue reading here!
Credit: hecterrific

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
"With Injustice, we’ll see the same thing. It’ll be different kinds of characters up there. We’re not nerfing anybody. We’re buffing everybody to go up. The top tier characters, we’re trying to give tools to all the other characters to get them up there, versus ‘let’s nerf this guy here and let’s buff this guy here.’

We want to bring everybody up. We don’t want to bring anyone down to meet them halfway."

YES, OMG, YEESSSSSS THANK YOU!!

MisterSpyker

The 6'4 King
"With Injustice, we’ll see the same thing. It’ll be different kinds of characters up there. We’re not nerfing anybody. We’re buffing everybody to go up. The top tier characters, we’re trying to give tools to all the other characters to get them up there, versus ‘let’s nerf this guy here and let’s buff this guy here.’

We want to bring everybody up. We don’t want to bring anyone down to meet them halfway."

Was about to talk about that, SWEET JESUS, YES!

This is so awesome. I hope they really improve the netcode, seriously.

Best interview up until now. But still, I want the big announcement they talked about for today

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
We have gigs and gigs of data from the last game with desyncs and connection issues to draw from. So it’s definitely a remarkable improvement but at the end of the day, I think we have to inform the players on the limitations on what netcode can actually do. Everybody is expecting the couch experience online and that’s just against the laws of physics, right? Information has to travel. It’s all dependent on people’s netspeed.

If you’re on DSL or dial-up line and I’m on a FiOS line, our connection is going to be shitty, no matter how good the netcode is. We’re not willng to nerf our game in order for our netcode to go up.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature

Someone should paste this quote on a scenic picture for future inspiration.

When life gets you down, remember, NRS will buff that!

MisterSpyker

The 6'4 King
I just wanna make sure all you cry babies w wireless and DSL read that

anything less than 20-25 down 4-8 up is just unacceptable people

Sorry, the world doesnt cater to 12.99 internet
Actually, 10 for download speed works perfectly in Europe. All my online games work with pratically no lag. I can play MK9 well most of the time, and UMvC3 or Tekken 6 almost never lag.

Europe just has much better servers

Europe - 1

America - 0

why are people talking about internet speed I thought it was common knowledge that you need a okay internet speed to play games online...

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I just wanna make sure all you cry babies w wireless and DSL read that

anything less than 20-25 down 4-8 up is just unacceptable people

Sorry, the world doesnt cater to 12.99 internet
just fyi that kind of speed is pretty unreasonable for some of us still, I mean this is the absolute cheapest that I can get that kind of upload at my location (with the one package cheaper deal for comparison)

and 65$ a month (and it goes up after 12 months) is a bit unreasonable for some households.

Pig Of The Hut

why are people talking about internet speed I thought it was common knowledge that you need a okay internet speed to play games online...
people define "okay" differently

okay = 20 down 4 up and many think dsl and wireless "should" work

Pig Of The Hut

just fyi that kind of speed is pretty unreasonable for some of us still, I mean this is the absolute cheapest that I can get that kind of upload at my location (with the one package cheaper deal for comparison)

and 65$ a month (and it goes up after 12 months) is a bit unreasonable for some households.
its like today's "system requirements" for consoles

required to play online: "a ps3 system/xbox system" 25 down 4 up
recommend 30+ down 6+ up

marvel 2 is stupid as shit. Couple of things that were kinda wierd... "If something is obviously imbalanced we're going to change it or take it out." That was emphasized alot.... But he also said that if something is imbalanced we're not going to nerf it, we're going to bring everyone else up to that level instead.....

Am I the only one who sees that as a direct contradiction? Basically it's a way of saying that some broken shit is going to be tweaked, but other broken shit is just gonna be ignored... Or, maybe what he's saying is that if something is found that's broken and stupid, instead of nerfing it they're just gonna break everyone else and make them stupid and broken too. I guess that's what you get when you accept input from marvel players.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
people define "okay" differently

okay = 20 down 4 up and many think dsl and wireless "should" work

These people...........

I have someone I play in UMvC3 online and we both live in Michigan (within 20 miles of each other) and it'll lag like crazy at times when he can't get on ethernet.