What's new

Injustice is Hold Back to "Block"

Blackula

I SEE EVERYTHING!
...for a player that only plays MK.
Maybe you should have been playing more than just MK all these years since there were tons of fighting games you could have played? :confused:

In all seriousness though, my main questions are these. What game exactly was it that you played years ago that initially turned you off to holding back as block, and why exactly did it turn you off? I don't think I've seen you be specific in your recent posts about this other than the fact that you say that you just don't like it. You just said it was retarded which doesn't really give a specific reason.

Hopefully by answering those question, we can get a clear understanding and see your point of view.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
The fact that the r2 buttons is the first to break on all my controllers makes me happy this game has no block button!

No block button sucks for me. I've always lovedit.

Holding back feels unnatural to me and you can't buffer inputs while holding back.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

jbthrash

Nut Breaker
I am also a SF player and the transition between block button and back isn't bad at all. I want MK9 to play like MK9. I don't want Injustice to play exactly like MK9, and I think this is a good way to play something other than MK9 with a DC paint job.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Man. I said I was quitting this thread, but like a fantastic car accident, I can't look away.

I realize its a vocal minority (at least I think and hope so) but the idea that anyone could possibly object to holding back to block - the most basic and natural game mechanic that is featured in almost every fighter ever made aside from MK - is absolutely mindboggling. I cannot get over it.

NRS is not trying to "be capcom," they're not betraying the fans, and they're not selling out. They're simply making a game without a block button. And I hate to break it to people that have only been playing MK over the last 20 years, but: not using a button to block opens up a lot of other strategic gameplay options that makes things like footsies extremely deep.

Warplay, you say the mechanic "feels terrible to you" but it doesn't seem like you've really played other games, and certainly haven't played them at a high level. I assure you that the legions of SF, Marvel, Tekken, King of Fighters, BB, GGXX, and SkullGirls players - which includes myself - are not quietly suffering as we play.

To anyone except people who have only played MK, this mechanic is the standard, and for good reason. The idea that NRS would do this is a huge plus to me. It will allow for fast dynamic gameplay with a footsies game that will be able to transcend what we've seen in MK9, and it has the added benefit of attracting more players, since the feel of playing will be natural and familiar.

Beast3

Theres No Escape
It'll just take getting used to. Most people really raging about this don't understand how quickly they'll get used to the new mechanic.
As an example, I downloaded VF5FS (amazing net code btw) the other day and it's block button is 1 (Square on ps3, X on 360). At first I was wayyyy thrown off because I'm not used to it, id hold R2 to block (which in this game is Guard + Kick) and of course got bodied. However the more I played the more I got used to holding 1 when I was being attacked. It's only been 2 days and I already automatically use 1 to block 80% of the time. - With Injustice, if you just give back to block a chance, I can't see it taking more than a week to get used to it.

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
I wonder if leaving your stick at neutral puts you in a block state when attacked. I know it does this in tekken, not sure on the standard though.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Most people really raging about this don't understand how quickly they'll get used to the new mechanic.
Exactly. Every game is different in many little ways, but it really doesn't take long to get accustomed to.

For example, take something like chip damage!
Street Fighter: only special moves do chip damage
Tekken: nothing does chip damage
MK: everything does chip damage

Play, learn, adapt, enjoy! Getting better at multiple games makes you better at your main game as you apply various lessons you've learned to it.

Espio

Kokomo
Warplay while you're not alone in having a preference for a block button, I think you should go about your approach in a more mature and coherent fashion and not insult NRS or anyone for using a different format, at the very least try the game.

I've always played all fighters, including Tekken, Street Fighter and Tatsunoko v.s. Capcom, and while I prefer a block button, they are all still games that function well and are fun at the very least keep an open mind and try the game, it's something new to get used to and experiment with in your fighting game experience, it will inspire growth perhaps, adapting to new circumstances is part of the fun in learning new fighters:).

Warplay

Noob
Espio872 Blackula Skkra I've played all the big fighting games in my lifetime, MK is the only one that has always stuck because of it's mechanics and it was a rare fighter that had a dedicated block button. I've given everything a chance, played a lot of Street Fighter, Street Fighter II, and pretty much all the classics with my brother growing up. I have always bitched about Capcom's hold back to block, even back in the day. This isn't something new I decided to hate on, or something that I have no experience with.

I just do not like having one of my directional buttons also being a block button...it's not hard to understand. It's as simple as that. I just want my block button to be controlled by my index or middle finger in my fighter. When I want to block high and low, I don't want to be holding back also while doing so. Thus, if a game is back to block, I won't buy it. I will play it just to check it out, but I've never played a back to block fighter and enjoyed it which is why I've given up on them unless I'm playing with friends who like SF4, SF v Tekken, and Tekken. And yes, as previously stated, I have played back to block games enough to get used to it.

It may seem like a small issue to most of the fighter fans around the world, but it's my standard for a fighting game thanks to Ed Boon and his teams throughout history. Now they're starting another fighting game franchise and decided to change it, and I'm deciding to not buy it. They can stick that and the "Clash system" where the sun don't shine(trying to be mature? lol). I'll just wait for MK10. :)

Warplay

Noob
I was mad when I first heard about this, which is when I posted. Now, it is what it is. I'm sure a new MK won't be too far behind. And out of all the pictures out there on the net that are for the "u mad" types, you pick the dumbest one. Congratulations.

I will try this game. I'll pick it up at the RedBox soon after it drops to give it a run for a few days. I will always try things, because you can't REALLY judge until the product is out there and you get your hands on it. I was mad because I was excited and thought it was pre-order material....until I heard more. It's not just the back to block that makes me upset about what I've heard so far, though it was the nail in the coffin.

And as far as Killer Instinct, that is by far the best back to block game I've ever played. Very fun, the gameplay really fit it. I guess that's one I did enjoy for the time I played it. It's a shame the franchise didn't have any releases after 2. Injustice is lucky to be 1/3 of the game KI was. I'm done looking into this game and expecting something it's not going to be. Glad to know what we know so soon after it's annoucement, saves a dragged out process to be let down in the end.

NFI

Kitty Got Wet
I think the hold back to block makes the game more competitive. More Mix-ups and cross ups. I can see Flash as a mix up character.

Slade

Make It Rain
It may seem like a small issue to most of the fighter fans around the world, but it's my standard for a fighting game thanks to Ed Boon and his teams throughout history. Now they're starting another fighting game franchise and decided to change it, and I'm deciding to not buy it. They can stick that and the "Clash system" where the sun don't shine(trying to be mature? lol). I'll just wait for MK10. :)
Nothin wrong if you don't like back to block, but that's a little harsh. lol

It might disappoint a lot of people sure, but for me personally, I wouldn't want Injustice too feel so much like MK, so this is one aspect of the game at least that I don't have a prob with.

joemabob

Noob
i dont want injustice to feel like im playing bush league street fighter...... with they had button block but ohwell gona have to get use to it