What's new

Injustice 2 Patch (TODAY) Notes including Wi-Fi indicators and more

Why is anyone thinking online play is somehow reflective of competitive play?

Even if you're running an online qualifier, you're going to face dodgy connections and it won't matter why that is.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Are any of you actually hearing what your saying??? I know everyone likes to just mouth off about something that they think they know about so I'll run it down for you..

Regardless of wireless or wires connection if your not cranking out 250mbps your CONNECTION WILL NOT BE TO THIS ETHEREAL PIE IN THE SKY COMP standard period.

Isps may vary form state to.state but that shit ain't cheap your putting up a Paywall for people who could compete. Come on guys were better then this.
With the new NRS netcode you don't need 250mbps. but you do need a steady solid wired connection. Especially if you are running tournys in KOTHs and what not.

When I got into competitive fighting games with MK9 the FIRST thing I did was literally rewire my shit and get my modem so it was never more then 10 feet from my game system, then wired it to said game system with shortest cord possible. It didn't cost me shit to do that. I don't even compete anymore, and I still keep it wired with an 8 foot cable when playing fighting games online.

This is not a Paywall for gamers, its a way to help everyone realize they need to be doing this so we have the best possible gaming situation online. There is starting to be some real money involved in these online tournys. How can you sit there and say someone shouldn't have to be wired to compete for it? It should be mandatory.

if you have others in the house, how hard it it to plan out a 4hr block for said tourny, and have no one else streaming or online, while you are competing. and just making sure you are hardlined for the competition. This is simple stuff that I learned day one, it's 2017 and this should be a non issue. Kudos to NRS for adding this today in the patch.

mercureXI

Punching bag that throws fans !
I've played over 1000 online games with random players on wired connection and I rarely if ever have bad laggy games. Its usually nearly as good as offline and I'm sure a huge portion have wifi connection. I don't think what you're saying is much of problem if you have good internet or unless you want to fabricate an excuse for why you lost. It's very lame so many people are trying to alienate a large portion of the community. You honestly have no idea what they may have going on in their life and they are playing with what they have and just want to get better.
Sure bro, nice story ... here's mine now :

Been playing Tekken 7 all day, I've had 7-8 "connection lost" before the matches ended today, along with some "laggy moments" here and there, out of 50+ matches.

ALL those "laggy/connection lost" matches were actually WiFi users (used to ask people about their connection when stuff like this happens, easy on Steam + Tekken 7 has some in-game chat).

So "maybe" you have had some good matches against wifi users, but let's be real here : why even bother with people that use an unstable tech to play online ?

This is no NETFLIX, FFS !

I've been explaining this on PSN/Steam to people that use WiFi for years (packets loss/ etc) (even today on Tekken 7, I explained to those guys that they should go wired etc), now sorry, but I don't feel sad at all to be finally able to "just" filter wifi users out and move along with smooth matches ...

Their "life" is not my problem, I've done my part for more than 10 years, and they still can play other WiFi users ...

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
With the new NRS netcode you don't need 250mbps. but you do need a steady solid wired connection. Especially if you are running tournys in KOTHs and what not.

When I got into competitive fighting games with MK9 the FIRST thing I did was literally rewire my shit and get my modem so it was never more then 10 feet from my game system, then wired it to said game system with shortest cord possible. It didn't cost me shit to do that. I don't even compete anymore, and I still keep it wired with an 8 foot cable when playing fighting games online.

This is not a Paywall for gamers, its a way to help everyone realize they need to be doing this so we have the best possible gaming situation online. There is starting to be some real money involved in these online tournys. How can you sit there and say someone shouldn't have to be wired to compete for it? It should be mandatory.

if you have others in the house, how hard it it to plan out a 4hr block for said tourny, and have no one else streaming or online, while you are competing. and just making sure you are hardlined for the competition. This is simple stuff that I learned day one, it's 2017 and this should be a non issue. Kudos to NRS for adding this today in the patch.
Finally logic and reason, I understand this I never argued against wired connection. My argument is to not cast "Wi-Fi" players into the ether simply because of some silly icon that is in no way and indication of skill.

Thingy

Retired account
Does it really matter? Your still gonna play that guy who has Wi-Fi the result will be the result. Next you'll say well because you have Verizon you suck? This forum holy fuck
Of course it matters to know. If you play a few games against dudes on Wifi and get lag spikes, you can be sure it isn't your connection and no action needs to be taken on your part(like resetting your router, etc).

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
Sure bro, nice story ... here's mine now :

Been playing Tekken 7 all day, I've had 7-8 "connection lost" before the matches ended today, along with some "laggy moments" here and there, out of 50+ matches.

ALL those "laggy/connection lost" matches were actually WiFi users (used to ask people about their connection when stuff like this happens, easy on Steam + Tekken 7 has some in-game chat).

So "maybe" you have had some good matches against wifi users, but let's be real here : why even bother with people that use an unstable tech to play online ?

This is no NETFLIX, FFS !

I've been explaining this on PSN/Steam to people that use WiFi for years (packets loss/ etc) (even today on Tekken 7, I explained to those guys that they should go wired etc), now sorry, but I don't feel sad at all to be finally able to "just" filter wifi users out and move along with smooth matches ...

Their "life" is not my problem, I've done my part for more than 10 years, and they still can play other WiFi users ...
You'll only remember the bad ones that how life works bro.

mercureXI

Exactly lol. It's seriously not even that common I've played so many games online I can attest to it. It's just mostly people making excuses for why they lost in assuming and they eventually a new one will come about where it isn't their fault
Hard to know who lost when the match stops all of a sudden, you know ... but hey, just saying ... you "must" be right ... people that hate lag spikes are making excuses about hating it just because they secretly love it !

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
So from what I understand and I may be a bit wrong here so correct me if i am cause im all aboot learning but Having a good connection speed doesnt fix a wireless connection.

Wifi cannot simutaneously download AND upload..so a lot of times if you reach a moment in a match thats heavy, it can cause a slowdown or at worst a complete disconnect. There are also a lot of factors that affect how much of your speed you actually get (ie other users, weather in the area etc etc). So just having a good speed doesnt matter if the equipment you have isnt able to utilize it. It's like putting the wrong type of paint on a wrong surface. Doesnt matter how good the paint is its gonna fall off cause its not in the optimal spot (sorry only analogy im smart enough to make lol).

Fighting games require such precision, reactions in a 10th of a second it is absolutely CRUCIAL if you want to be a top competitive player that you eliminate any essence of interruption, and I don't think its unfair of big organizers to ban wifi in competitive events. You don't see cod events or CSGO events live finals played on wifi, its all LAN. No reason fighting games should be any different.

Don't get me wrong, I used to play on Wifi for years and I was still able to compete, but I switched to wired and noticed a huge difference and havent looked back.

Packet loss is something i havent looked into enough to advise on, maybe @Pig Of The Hut can talk more aboot that so we can educate the community but to say wifi can be as good as wireless in a competitive environment is simply not true.

As if this community wasnt elitist enough now theres a witch hunt for all wifi players... most people couldnt care less about the connection they play on. Yes, if its a pro playing on wifi by all means name and shame if thats what makes you happy. At the end of the day a good fix dont get me wrong. But for a player base striving to convert casuals to competitors, going the wrong way about it.... smh

Thingy

Retired account
I think people should be more concerned with how good the other person's internet is rather than if they hook their bad internet up via cable or not. Bad internet will be bad cable or no cable.
Thats what the connection indicator is for. And only wired connections are reliable for that said indicator to mean something. For instance, someones ping may show up as 90ms for a few seconds during a challenge request, then jump to 153ms and higher during the match because wifi is not stable. At least now you will know which connection indicators are real and stable.

mercureXI

As if this community wasnt elitist enough now theres a witch hunt for all wifi players... most people couldnt care less about the connection they play on. Yes, if its a pro playing on wifi by all means name and shame if thats what makes you happy. At the end of the day a good fix dont get me wrong. But for a player base striving to convert casuals to competitors, going the wrong way about it.... smh
Isn't it better to have newcomers enjoy smooth matches instead of lagfests that force them to turn away from fighting games ?

WiFi = unstable. Period.

Casuals using WiFi is no excuse for being ok with it ... Flawed logic

They should learn that being wired is the way to go "early" just like they learn how to block / dash / etc

THAT is a good way to build a stable community and not a huge pool of morons that rant about "netcodes" when they are actually the ROOT of the problem ...

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
So from what I understand and I may be a bit wrong here so correct me if i am cause im all aboot learning but Having a good connection speed doesnt fix a wireless connection.

Wifi cannot simutaneously download AND upload..so a lot of times if you reach a moment in a match thats heavy, it can cause a slowdown or at worst a complete disconnect. There are also a lot of factors that affect how much of your speed you actually get (ie other users, weather in the area etc etc). So just having a good speed doesnt matter if the equipment you have isnt able to utilize it. It's like putting the wrong type of paint on a wrong surface. Doesnt matter how good the paint is its gonna fall off cause its not in the optimal spot (sorry only analogy im smart enough to make lol).

Fighting games require such precision, reactions in a 10th of a second it is absolutely CRUCIAL if you want to be a top competitive player that you eliminate any essence of interruption, and I don't think its unfair of big organizers to ban wifi in competitive events. You don't see cod events or CSGO events live finals played on wifi, its all LAN. No reason fighting games should be any different.

Don't get me wrong, I used to play on Wifi for years and I was still able to compete, but I switched to wired and noticed a huge difference and havent looked back.

Packet loss is something i havent looked into enough to advise on, maybe @Pig Of The Hut can talk more aboot that so we can educate the community but to say wifi can be as good as wireless in a competitive environment is simply not true.
Dink no one is arguing for Wi-Fi, were arguing against the elietest ideology that states if your wired you compete if your on Wi-Fi you use gear. Which is what I was actually told by a "competitor" even though I've stated that I am not. It's clear and apparent the divide that it's gonna cause uneccisarily.

Look no one likes fucking lag spikes or shitty connections, but to say well fuck you for not having the greatest internet on the planet I'm not with it.

What do you think?

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Dink no one is arguing for Wi-Fi, were arguing against the elietest ideology that states if your wired you compete if your on Wi-Fi you use gear. Which is what I was actually told by a "competitor" even though I've stated that I am not. It's clear and apparent the divide that it's gonna cause uneccisarily.

Look no one likes fucking lag spikes or shitty connections, but to say well fuck you for not having the greatest internet on the planet I'm not with it.

What do you think?
I appreciate what you're saying for sure.

My point of view is that if I'm playing in a tournament, and there is a CHANCE that I may drop a combo due to something outside of MY OWN control...I'm not ok with that. I can deal with losing by being outplayed, by not knowing a MU..hell if I didnt do a button check and lost cause my buttons were wrong im even ok with that. But if I lost because of a lag spike due to my opponents wireless connection, I would not be ok with that. And wireless players shouldn't be either. You're putting yourselves on the line and risking dropping your own combos. I realize that not everyone can afford wifi, or not everyone is in a position to play wired. But life isnt fair unfortunately. The Pittsburgh penguins arent going to recruit a player who they heard is really good at pond hockey if he cant afford gear. If you wanna be a pro you gotta put the effort in and show it. That's also a reason offline tourneys are favoured over online. you pay the money, prove you're serious about it and compete. There are people out there better than pros. Im certain thats true. But if you want the recognition you gotta spend the money, that's really i think what it comes down to.

My point of view is that if I'm playing in a tournament, and there is a CHANCE that I may drop a combo due to something outside of MY OWN control...I'm not ok with that. I can deal with losing by being outplayed, by not knowing a MU..hell if I didnt do a button check and lost cause my buttons were wrong im even ok with that. But if I lost because of a lag spike due to my opponents wireless connection, I would not be ok with that. And wireless players shouldn't be either. You're putting yourselves on the line and risking dropping your own combos. I realize that not everyone can afford wifi, or not everyone is in a position to play wired. But life isnt fair unfortunately. The Pittsburgh penguins arent going to recruit a player who they heard is really good at pond hockey if he cant afford gear. If you wanna be a pro you gotta put the effort in and show it. That's also a reason offline tourneys are favoured over online. you pay the money, prove you're serious about it and compete. There are people out there better than pros. Im certain thats true. But if you want the recognition you gotta spend the money, that's really i think what it comes down to.
I can see where you're playing in a tournament for money where this is important, but you have people saying they won't play online sets with people if they are online wifi. That's just so insanely petty and lame. It's not even near common enough to avoid playing casual online sets with people.

JavierDavila

ALWAYS an uphill battle...
All of you wireless players and liars will now be exposed. Please post every player name you find using wireless so all know who is frauding their ways to victory.
Easy there "pro". I've been playing wireless since MK9. I bought injustice to have fun online. No intention on making a career out of it.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers

I am ok with this explanation.

Thanks dink